Naim NAIT XS 3 vs Musical Fidelity M6si

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by marcopi13, Oct 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcopi13

marcopi13 Member Thread Starter

I am looking for an integrated amp to run proac tablette 10 speakers, any hint welcome, thanks!

2. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

Yamaha A-S2200 or A-S3000 if you have the budget work well with the Proac and look killer to!

marcopi13 likes this.
  3. tIANcI

tIANcI Wondering when the hifi madness will end

Line Magnetic LM805ia. You will love how it pairs with the ProAc. Roll a couple of tubes and it’s tube heaven.

If it’s the above choice only then the MF will be extra sweet whilst the Naim a bit more punchy. Depends on your taste.

marcopi13 likes this.
  4. eltigreferoz

eltigreferoz Forum Resident

A vote for the Naim. But I'm partial.

bhazen and marcopi13 like this.
  5. marcopi13

marcopi13 Member Thread Starter

naim would be my first option, just to share additional info :)
    I am trying to understand if I am missing opportunities [@ the "same price" more/less]

bhazen likes this.
  6. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

I would probably go Naim. What I can say is that I recently swopped a MF 6i for a Naim Supernait 3 and the difference is pretty significant and all in a good way.

stax o' wax and bhazen like this.
  7. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

What speakers will the amplifier be driving?

Unfortunately I’ve never heard a Naim amp but I do own the Yamaha AS2200 and recently sold my MF M6si.

My experience with the M6si, in my room, was that I could not hear a specific voicing as opposed to other amps that I’ve owned in the past. I guess you could say the M6si didn’t get in the way of music.

I did a brief comparison of the AS2200 vs. the M6si driving a pair of Harbeth C7’s.

The differences were subtle, but I noticed the AS2200 being more on the bright side, with a midrange-centric and forward presentation. I think the AS2200 added a bit more liveliness to the Harbeths.

Despite the difference in power (220wpc vs. 90wpc) I didn’t feel that the M6si had a better grip on the Harbeths vs. the Yamaha. I found that very interesting.

I actually now sold both the Harbeth C7’s and the M6si.

This is to point out that the amplifier/speaker pairing could be a frustrating undertaking and a bet.

That said, make sure you consider the speaker voicing when thinking about an amplifier.

Good luck.

8. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

Sorry, I missed your comments on the Proac speakers. I suspect you can’t go wrong with the M6si but again, never heard a Naim.

9. eltigreferoz

eltigreferoz Forum Resident

I mean, the grass is always greener, right? Around that pricepoint you're going to find lots of great amps (some others have already mentioned). But so long as the amp has the features you want (or can live with), the sound part is pretty subjective and your ear will be the best recommendation TBH. But if you're interested in Naim, I would start there. It has a more distinct character than other amps that, if you hear it, you'll know pretty quickly if you like or not. That's my opinion.

10. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

I would take the Naim all day, everyday.

eltigreferoz and bhazen like this.
  11. Zos93

Zos93 Forum Resident

As a Naim owner I would say the Naim. Are you buying new or second hand? Can you audition them with your speakers?

bhazen likes this.
  12. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

It's an interesting comparison, a 220wpc amp vs. a 70wpc amp, where the seemingly smaller, "underpowered" Naim amp is also $500 more, yet it seems in real world use, these specs don't mean much. Naim have a cult following from what I've seen on this site, MF does not. The M6si is even cheaper at Audio Advisor now, at $2700 or so. I've never owned a Naim product (I have a lower end MF amp right now), but given the love for Naim on this site, I'd probably go in that direction. But I would go Yamaha over either, the 2200 is close in price to the Naim, I just like it's feature set more.

13. Manticore Mantra

Manticore Mantra Forum Resident

I bought an M6Si as a ex demo unit a few months ago and couldn't be happier. It has mysterious levels of power and control, and to my ear does everything right with no colouration or exaggeration of any particular part of the frequency range. It can deliver power absolutely instantly (apparently can push 30 amps when needed). I've not heard the specific Naim that you are asking about, but personally I tend to feel that the Naim signature sound is pleasant but for me a little unexciting. I may be wrong in this case though. I suspect Naim sells a lot more units than MF, so in a post like this you will get a proportionate representation from people who like what they bought, so I wouldn't consider your buying decision based on the number of responses for either one!

14. Barry Heard

Barry Heard Well-Known Member

Proac use naim (and other amps) to demo their speakers at shows. They've been a well known match for a while. But I don't think you could go wrong with the Yamaha. When you get to this level, it's difficult to say ones better than the other and comes down to personal preference.

I've got a naim and a roksan. The naim is fast and dynamic, the roksan is a bit fuller, sweeter.

bhazen likes this.
  15. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

Are there many Naim dealers in the US? I know Upscale Audio is now selling Naim, a recent thing. But of the online/brick and mortar shops, I'm not aware of any here in the US. So I've never seen them in person, curious to hear them. Their top of the line power/preamp ($60k) are hugely expensive, and for better or worse, look very similar to their lower end models as well. Must be awfully good for that coin.

16. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Second hand Naim or Rega amps.
    Supported and reliable.
    Get an older XS or SN or older pre/power, doubt there's much between them.
    You might end up with free hifi with reselling as good value.
    Rega if you want a friendlier sometime more involving sound without the last detail.

So many makes the mistake looking at specs and watts.
    In practise Naim amps sound more powerfull than most others, no matter specs.

stax o' wax and bhazen like this.
  17. james

james Summon The Queen

Naim – Overture Ultimate Home Electronics‎
    https://www.audioadvice.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=naim
    https://www.commandav.com/category/naim-audio/

18. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

A perfect description of the MF magic.

Manticore Mantra likes this.
  19. Zos93

Zos93 Forum Resident

Naim are known for their current delivery it's what gives them their famous PRAT. I'm running a 50w Nait 5si into 83db Spendors with as much power as you'd want. in the early days Naim didn't publish their power ratings asking people to trust their ears.

IRG and bhazen like this.
  20. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

You are. Naim’s signature sound is quite forward and definitely more exciting, in the traditional sense of the word. It can be too forward for some people but personally I love it. MF is far more laid back. Which is better will be entirely down to personal preference. I lived with and loved the MF sound for many years but I am enjoying the change that Naim offers. In a few years, I may change again :)

To the OP: take no notice of the power figures that are quoted. I was initially put off of the Supernait 3 when I read it only put out 80 watts, especially after having an amp that put out around 200 watts.The Naim, however, has plenty of power, more than enough for the average household. I seldom go above 9 o’clock on the volume knob, which was pretty much the same with my much more powerful MF amp. What I am able to do though is increase the volume by much finer increments whereas with the MF it seemed to go quiet to loud in one click.

bhazen and Zos93 like this.
  21. brubacca

brubacca Forum Resident

Naim and Proac is a classic combination. Although most people also have Naim or Rega sources. (With some using Chord DACs)

bhazen likes this.
  22. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

Consider also the Rega amp at similar price point to Nait, the Elicit-R.

I've got the XS 2 myself, pretty much endgame for me. I hear the XS 3 is even better, but ... too lazy to dismantle my setup to do any home auditions anymore. :)

23. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

Did you get rid of your P3 40th's?

24. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Yes, I traded them for the standard version of the P3.

25. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I always liked Musical Fidelity, though to be honest it was probably more about the cosmetics. Which DO affect our brain and perceptions. Naim I've only heard the super high priced all-in-one thing they are touting now.

I wouldn't buy anything without a reasonable return policy, unless it was like a really good price on Craigslist or such. (OK maybe not Craigslist literally for this stuff :p)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.