Name A Great Power Pop Tune

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gersh, Aug 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Remington Steele likes this.
  2. arob71

arob71 Capitol JAX

The only versions on YouTube I could find were the slower, acoustic arrangement.

margaritatoldtom likes this.
  3. It's a shame that there is so much great music that is so hard to obtain.

4. RoryStorm

RoryStorm Forum Resident

Yeah and I can not justify paying like $50 for Global used on Amazon !!! Sheesh !

melstapler likes this.
  5. melstapler

All of us need to express our thoughts to Real Gone, Wounded Bird and Omnivore. Each of those labels read and respond to suggestions. Although we can't be sure, I read an interview with the Wounded Bird guy who said all of their reissues were prompted by direct feedback from customers and artists.

6. melstapler

There were some solo sessions John Wicks recorded in England when he joined forces with The Strawbs. Those songs featured Wicks on lead vocals and have the folk-rock/country-rock sound one would expect. Very different from The Records, but same great voice, biting lyrics and melodies. Those songs were in circulation for several years courtesy of The Strawbs fan group, but most of them have since been officially released on various compilations and collections.

7. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

I hear ya. It's a shame if only because you do need to hear Is It Any Wonder. (NOT the great Turtles tune of the same name.) Powerful track. Perhaps it is on YouTube.

melstapler likes this.
  8. RoryStorm

RoryStorm Forum Resident

Is It Any Wonder...OK I will look for it...thanks

9. Twangy

Twangy Forum Resident

i believe Is It Any Wonder is on the first Yellow Pills compilation….a truly great song that never sound old!!!! I've been listening to some great DM3 and Someloves stuff recently as well as the new Church cd, so I am mixing it all up!!!!!

10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I don't feel like going through 22 pages of this thread. although I know there are a lot of great power-pop tunes I like and could recommend, but has this one been posted yet?

Jeff Minn, arob71 and melstapler like this.
  11. melstapler

Pilot is great! Ian Bairnson is a master guitarist.

12. melstapler

gstring, supermolland and veloso2 like this.
  13. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

One of my all-time faves here...

melstapler and margaritatoldtom like this.
  14. Gersh

Gersh Forum Resident Thread Starter

Nice especially the guitars. Love the clean ending.

SteveMac and Blastproof like this.
  15. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

While "Starry Eyes" is indeed a great power pop song, the first album by The Records is chock-full of them. My favorite is probably "Girl" but that album is one record that starts off strong and never really lets up. The slower songs "Up All Night" and "Affection Rejected" are perfectly sequenced into the full-on energy onslaught of power pop that the band offers up.

I had the US Virgin version and while it is a very noisy pressing - TONS of surface noise on it* - it still remains one of the most exciting power pop albums I've ever heard. The first four songs are all fast and hard driving and the way they butt up against one another with no silence between them is brilliant. (It reminds me of the programming of the first four songs on side 1 of Raspberries Best.)

Then, when you're done with the album proper, there was a bonus 45 with four covers on it. Man, their version of "1984" really rocks.

The thing that I think hurt The Records was their lack of a really strong singer. The vocals on this album are very nasal and maybe a bit too British for American tastes. I played this album for many people in the early 80's in college and only a few were able to get past the sound of the vocals and enjoy the music for what it was. Of course, in those days in my circle of friends, if it wasn't Zeppelin, it was crap.

*in fact, I returned the first copy I had as defective, but the second copy was just as noisy.

Scopitone likes this.
  16. Skoegahom

Skoegahom Forum Resident

I'm a Raspberries - Badfinger Power Pop dude, but I don't think anyone mentioned the Outfield:

17. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Apologies as I'm sure this must be in this thread somewhere - but if so, it's worth hearing again!

18. Gersh

Superchunk's cover of the John Cale Christmas song. This is a superb performance and production, I'd guess it replicates how The Byrds sounded live at Ciro's, when the extreme volume stitched its precise pattern in your brain as rendered by the Rickenbacker, heavy bass and close harmony vocals.

19. Jos79

Jos79 Forum Resident

Adam Schmitt - Cant get you out of my mind. Marvelous song

cuddlytoy likes this.
  20. Jos79

Jos79 Forum Resident

Has someone mentioned The Vandalias?

JL6161 likes this.
  21. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

The Shazam - On The Airwaves

veloso2 and melstapler like this.
  22. Gersh

Excellent, thanks.

23. melstapler

Neat! Haven't heard this in years. Saw Eddie & The Hot Rods about 10 years ago in a club. At most, there were 1 or 2 original members including Eddie of course. They put on a great show and their sound live is a little heavier and more in line with the rock sounds of The Rolling Stones or maybe some of the 60s garage band such as Shadows Of Knight. Eddie came out after the show to sell and sign merchandise. They probably made $5000 from the merchandise sales that night.

24. melstapler

How cool! Jude Cole always reminds of Rodney Dangerfield, because he sang the "Back To School" theme song.

SteveMac and Blastproof like this.
  25. melstapler

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.