Name A Movie Where You Disagreed With The Rating (G, PG, PG-13, R, etc.)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by tonyc, Jan 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm sure there are lots of good examples you can name.

2. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Midnight Cowboy (1969) Rated X

Complier, Remington Steele and Grant like this.
  3. balzac

balzac Senior Member

"Beneath the Planet of the Apes" from 1970 features a fair amount of blood (fake-looking, but it's supposed to be blood), shows the hole in the head of a character who gets shot in the forehead, and has the entire planet being destroyed, and it received a G rating.

A shot-for-shot remake would surely at least get a PG if not a PG-13 today.

MonkeyLizard, drasil and jupiter8 like this.
  4. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Along the same lines as Midnight Cowboy, any film rated R for a few instances of "coarse" language. The King's Speech is a well-known recent example.

I think a lot of graphic exploitation horror movies that get R ratings should probably be rated more harshly, while a lot of movies with relatively benign sex-related scenes (such as Bent) should not have received NC-17 ratings.

A rare example of an American film I think should have been rated more harshly was The Neon Demon, which I enjoyed but I think ought to have qualified for an NC-17 rating.

driverdrummer and lbangs like this.
  5. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

1969's True Grit is a bit on the bloody side for a "G" rating, but that was the early days of the ratings system when it was still evolving.

Grant likes this.
  6. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Good question.

The School of Rock
    immediately comes to mind. It was rated PG-13, but nothing in it screamed such rating. PG would have been better.

Grant likes this.
  7. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Bruno getting an R rating. If any movie deserved the NC-17 rating, it was that one.

Stormrider77 and Grant like this.
  8. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

A Clockwork Orange
    X-rated when I first saw it.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  9. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I saw Ryan's Daughter in the theater, having read about the hubbub over the PG rating. There was one close up shot of Sara Miles' ______ and it wasn't a flash. It should have been an R based on the rules they had at the time.

10. balzac

balzac Senior Member

My guess is that the PG-13 may be due to one particular scene where Jack Black's character is meeting with all of the parents. It has been probably 10 years since I saw the movie, so I had to grab this from IMDB where hopefully they got the quote right. In trying to describe his enthusiasm for teaching the class, he says:

I have been touched by your kids... and I'm pretty sure that I've touched them.

Vahan likes this.
  11. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

The original "Halloween" was rated "R" in 1978 but I bet it would get a PG-13 if it were released today.

Grant likes this.
  12. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

I thought this once, but I was only recalling the rather tame violence and forgot about the breasts.

In the 80s, perhaps, but now? I'm not sure. There seem to be far fewer breasts in PG-13 films now (and as a boy who was 13 around the time that rating came about, believe me, I knew such things)...

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

13. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I have no doubt that it would get NC-17 today.

14. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Is there even such a thing as a PG movie anymore? Since PG-13 was introduced, the milder rating seems to have slowly vanished, which is funny since material that would have gotten a PG rating 40 years ago would now earn a PG-13 if not an R.

To answer the OP, there have been lots of movies great for teens that have unfortunately gotten slapped with an R rating because of brief nudity or one too many effenheimers.

15. Spaghettiows

There's a lot less nudity in general in movies today. And you'll never see the "nether regions" any more in an R-rated film. Revenge of The Nerds would probably get NC-17 now.

driverdrummer likes this.
  16. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Not a chance. It barely reaches the current threshold for R.

17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"PG" is often the domain of animated films. Even Disney films - for eons the bastion of "G" ratings - are now commonly "PG"...

18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Not accurate. Cripes, Viggo Mortensen showed his dick and got an Oscar nomination for it! :laugh:

19. Also the description of groupies coming from li'l Miranda Cosgrove - "they're sluts who sleep with the band!" - and some onscreen and implied drinking.

Vahan likes this.
  20. dr jazz

dr jazz Forum Resident

Argo. Too many f bombs but nothing else. Had to go with my 16 year old son as he was interested in the history behind it. Should have been pg 13 not r

21. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I recall the 1972 Papillon containing quite a bit of violence and nudity for its time, yet being rated PG. (Not surprisingly, Allied Artists appealed its original MPAA rating of R.)

Spaghettiows likes this.
  22. Spaghettiows

True, if you're talking about a flapping wang. But I'm pretty sure that female pubic hair is now off-limits if you want to maintain an R rating. Boy, I hope this kind of talk won't shut down the thread.

23. Spaghettiows

Seriously? With all of those graphic rape scenes and implied sex with underage girls? A Clockwork Orange is pretty nasty stuff. You must have watched a different movie than I did.

24. Logan's Run surprised me (and as a kid I enjoyed it of course) with Jenny Agutter's nudity. It got a PG as I recall.

25. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

"The Beastmaster" and "Embryo" also had a lot of nudity for PG flicks (not that the teenaged me complained)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.