Name an overlooked obscure 90's record!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by steeler1979, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

Caesar - No rest for the alonely (not a spelling error, but a play on words)

anthontherun likes this.
  2. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

dEUS - In a bar under the sea

ramdom and hm smith like this.
  3. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

A great album made even better by the presence of Alison Moyet and Terry Hall, highly recommended.

c-eling likes this.
  4. msd47

msd47 Forum Resident

Wow, I am impressed that anyone else here knows about Terrell's album(s), which also included Angry Southern Gentleman and Beautiful Side of madness, also recommended.

Rocketdog likes this.
  5. msd47

msd47 Forum Resident

Here's another 1990 album that is worth many listens: Leslie Spit Trio: Don't Cry Too Hard[​IMG]

John54 likes this.
  6. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

Gear Daddies. "Billy's Live Bait" (Polygram 1990)

Still rockin' it right....

7. Skibum00

Skibum00 Forum Resident

Jump Little Children - Magazine

anthontherun and Rocketdog like this.
  8. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

One of Ian's best for sure, Punch & Judy, classic :)

9. sami

sami Mono still rules

They might not be obscure, but every Teenage Fanclub record is absolutely overlooked.

Another guy who fits that description is Alejandro Escovedo, who made some of the best records of the decade. A Man Under The Influence is a truly great record, beyond essential, as is any live Escovedo recording.

John Lloyd, msd47 and Rocketdog like this.
  10. The Snodger

The Snodger Forum Resident

This was a particular chilled out favourite of mine back in the late 90's - they had some decent remixes too if I remember correctly.

Standout track - "Beautiful"
    [​IMG]

11. JamieLang

JamieLang Forum Resident

That Jesus Jones record was inescapable-not sure how that counts as overlooked. Sbk records was hot. If it weren't for Russ Irwin, I'd say everything they touched turned to good in the early 90s. That's one. Russ Irwin--self titled. Phil Ramone produced.

12. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

Relieved to see Swervedriver's first three were cited. Thrilled to see Moose, Acetone, Velvet Crush, Chavez and SJF's Melt represented. REALLY great to see so many appearances by DC and SpinART artists! Funny to see Cinerama mentioned (which I love) but not the Wedding Present, so I'll add that TWP's Seamonsters is a masterpiece, and their Saturnalia is, too (while being fairly different). Also, The Verlaines' Way Out Where and American Music Club's Mercury should be heard by everyone, IMO. No love for Ride? (Nowhere and Going Blank Again in partiular, but all four records were great.) -E

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  13. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

Good points. Nowhere is a great record. I would add Everclear by AMC to this list also.

Jet Age Eric likes this.
  14. Jet Age Eric

... and I would second that. ;) -E

15. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Way Out Where is my favorite Verlaines record. A perfect blend of grunged-up guitars with impeccable pop smarts.

Jet Age Eric likes this.
  16. Rodz42

Rodz42 Forum Resident

Eve's Plumb--Envy
    Sinead Lohan--No Mermaid
    Moonpools And Caterpillars album (forget the name)

Only room for so many female fronted bands on a year's radio playist i guess--all 3 were great albums in their respective styles and should've been big

anthontherun likes this.
  17. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Dink 1995
    No idea if the album is any good, grabbed the Green Mind single (Has a KMFDM mix on it) I should check it out, reminds me, I'm going to upload a better sounding version on YT
    Here we go, a nice mix

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  18. Jet Age Eric

Woo hoo! Probably mine, too, although I adore the first two records, too. There's a good chance they're touring the States this fall! -E

19. Rodz42

Rodz42 Forum Resident

My definition of 'obscure and overlooked' means that the album never hit at all when it was released (and the band probably never hit beforehand as well). Based on that definition, which most of these albums fit, this thread is really taking me back to the days of working in an indie record store in the 90's and having almost all of these albums in our dollar bin. The 'alt rock' explosion got so many bands signed, but then became tax write offs immediately and for whatever reason never made it. LOTS of good albums mentioned here! Some i never listened to and now i am going to go check out.

I also want to add the UK band Top and their album "Emotion Lotion" released in 1991. Don't think they made it in the UK either. A solid album.

20. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

I wasn't up on all the 90's bands - but there was a Norwegian group i liked

Bel Canto - Birds of Passage

Stereolab likes this.
  21. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Anything by Stephen Duffy and the Lilac Time.

22. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

I never get tired of mentioning "Morning Dove White" by One Dove. Never heard anything else quite like it and all the various remix 12" singles are worth having as well.

Skydog7, Yakr and Rodz42 like this.
  23. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

I don't own any Associates music, Millington, but Billy MacKenzie pops up on backing vocals on a few albums I have. A unique performer missed by many.

Millington likes this.
  24. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

Duffy's overlooked material spans four decades now, unbelievably.

e.s. likes this.
  25. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

Back in the early-mid 90s, this album was considered gospel around here:
    [​IMG]

If you're into metal and have never heard this, you're in for a treat and a rude awakening hand-rolled into one.

Kool Thing likes this.