Name the equipment in the new War on Drugs video

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Brian Gupton, Aug 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rob303

rob303 Forum Resident

I hear ya on the drums because a solid drummer recorded properly can really make an album stand out. I definitely think that would have sounded amazing on this album, but maybe take it down a different path. Its that 80's drum machine sound that really drew me in. But its the synthesis of the drum tracks, the ambient synthesizer, the excessive use of delay, reverb and feedback on the guitar and allowing for the extended jams and song lengths that really makes this album special. In my opinion at least.

2. vinyl4287

vinyl4287 Member

Sort of the same thing with myself. Though, I purchased the vinyl the first day it was released because I liked Slave Ambient so much. This album has grown on me sort of like Crooked Rain Crooked Rain did back in the mid 90's (one of my favorite albums). Now I have the lyrics out and they're not bad.

I hear this one the album: 80's production and instrument gloss, Dylan, Don Henley, and Bruce Springsteen--but it sounds, to my ears, original. Not like the Chili Pepper's using Mary Jane.

Brian Gupton and rob303 like this.
  3. lastgoodbye

lastgoodbye Active Member

Great band. Record of the year so far for me. Saw them live a few years ago in San Francisco and then again recently. They've really tightened up their live set. Phenomenal band.

As for the equipment, it looked to me like the receiver might be a McIntosh MR74, but as I look again, I really can't tell.

My friend wrote a piece on War on Drugs back in March that was very well received. A terrific, in-depth piece of writing:

http://www.stereogum.com/1668412/th...ons-of-the-war-on-drugs/franchises/interview/

vinyl4287 and Brian Gupton like this.
  4. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

That's exactly what I hear with both Kurt Vile and War on Drugs. Unforced, non-flashy, yet sweetly sublime chord changes.

vinyl4287 likes this.
  5. vinyl4287

vinyl4287 Member

No doubt I throw it on tonight I will hear the same. I'm hearing New Order now. haha. So many influences, GREAT influences, in that album.

rob303 likes this.
  6. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I think they should totally cover Jesus Jones - Right Here, Right Now.

7. keith65

keith65 Forum Resident

8. keith65

keith65 Forum Resident

bump, anyone can spot Kurts setup?

9. Brian Gupton

Brian Gupton Forum Resident Thread Starter

To me it kinda looks like this table. But it vaguely looks like there is a pulley mechanism on the front right. Could be a bubble level sitting on the table though.

[​IMG]

stevenbell and keith65 like this.
  10. keith65

keith65 Forum Resident

:) the platter is also thinner and there is a switch mechanism to the right and some red light behind it, could be something else, though.

11. stevenbell

stevenbell New Member

I agree on the Record of the year. But the Turntable has to be a Thorens TD160 or TD 166 In no way is it a Linn or ProJect. I am willing to bet a quarter on it.

keith65 likes this.
  12. keith65

keith65 Forum Resident

Not sure, Steven. I'm leaning more towards a Sota of some kind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.