Narcos - What do you think?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by stuguy, Aug 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

That's what I was getting at above...

Jeff

2. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

Just finished season 2. Superb series. Interesting they will continue for 2 more seasons. I have to imagine it will get a bit more fictional as the material on the other cartels probably is not as deep or interesting.

EVOLVIST and ex_mixer like this.
  3. Except for the kid with the sniper rifle who they called out by name on the final episode. I mean, yeah, there is mystery, but I would say maybe a 5% chance that Escobar slotted himself. I think in the best interest of history the showrunners sort of had to go with the common perception that the Search Bloc did it.

It doesn't matter, though, both seasons of Narcos was amazing. Both historically accurate enough to rank up there with classic true crime epics.

As for two more seasons, I'm with @cwciggy, that the next two seasons are probably more fiction, yet the show did a fantastic job of showing enough of Los Pepes and the Cali Cartel to make for villains strong enough to carry the show. Plus, being that Javi Pena arguably lived more of the story than Agent Murphy, at least Pena's story demonstrates his longevity in the field.

http://www.bustle.com/articles/1106...rcos-the-dea-agent-has-a-compelling-real-life

Otherwise, all I have to say is, Hijos de Putas!

GodShifter likes this.
  4. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I really like it, the news footage and actual real coverage of people from the era lends it a flare of authenticity. I started looking things up and there's some glaring ommisions and changes but it's still awesome. I'm on season 2 ep5.
    Heard it got renewed for another 2 seasons !

5. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Fantastic T.V., interesting that some shows, with the space, are outdoing films. The political background of Columbia and the U.S. is fascinating. I'm currently up to episode 7 of series 1, my one complaint, I'm going to bed too late!

psychtrailmix likes this.
  6. psychtrailmix

psychtrailmix Forum Resident

Loved season 2 and binged watched again... Waited so long for it and I plowed through all the episodes! I look forward to the other seasons, although I doubt they'll be as interesting as Escobar, but we shall see. I started feeling bad for the guy near the end, but then I reminded myself of all the innocent people he murdered!

7. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Saviored season 2 over 4 days. Best show I've seen since True Detective Season 1. Also, loved the clothes they wore back then with the jeans and short sleeved polo shirts. Reminds me how dads and my teachers dressed in the early 1990s.

8. Pastafarian

I'm up to episode 9 of series 1, can't imagine any events were I'd feel sorry, perhaps I'm going to be amazed, or you've got a bleeding heart.

9. psychtrailmix

psychtrailmix Forum Resident

Doesn't come until 2nd season (the sympathy).

10. Pastafarian

Season 2 next, binging and late nights no doubt. I thought the Heart Of Darkness elements that come in episode 9 and 10 were powerful. If this was fiction we would have had The Downfall (Der Untergang) as well, powerful stuff.

11. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Great show.

12. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Great second season. What a fantastic show. Can't wait for more.

I also liked how the surround mix used the rear channels extensively for the music.

pablo fanques likes this.
  13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I really liked some of the background music in this season. There's a scene where Tara's brother is trying to convince her to leave Pablo for her own safety and the music is very subtle but very somber and atmospheric. Very well done.

14. thesisinbold

thesisinbold Forum Resident

There's a lot of times I felt sorry for him. I rooted for him the entire series. Not because of the actual man, but because of the actor. That guy nailed the role.

15. Pastafarian

Watched first two episodes of season two and stalled, how many repeats of same thing can hold my attention(?), we shall see.

16. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

Binge watched both seasons in about a week. Great show! And the actor playing Escobar wow, incredible.

Malina likes this.
  17. Luckless Pedestrian

Luckless Pedestrian Forum Resident

Wagner Moura, fantastic performance as Escobar. Such tenderness, such rage.

I was immediately put off by the voice over in the first episode and nearly gave up on this, but after reading all the praise here I decided to give it another go. I continued to be irritated by the voice over till the end, but everything else was excellent, especially the scenes with the Colombians, great acting, great cinematography (I don't know who directed the final few shows of season 2 but there was some excellent work there), great Colombian music. (I wouldn't complain at all if they dropped the Starsky & Hutch DEA agents altogether for the next two seasons, didn't find that aspect of the show compelling).

Soundway records has some great Colombian compilations if you want to hear more of the music featured in the series.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  18. RockNRod

RockNRod Forum Resident

It's going to be interesting to see where Season 4 ends up. I just rented to Bryan Cranston narco movie that just came out on DVD (title escapes me), but Pablo is mentioned on the back. Hope it's good. I think the series was very engaging and the cinematography was excellent.

19. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I just watched both Seasons 1 and 2 in one short period of time. Outstanding series, very compelling, very well done. I can't wait until Season 3 is released.

Gavinyl likes this.
  20. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

Half way through second season - great stuff !

RoyalScam likes this.
  21. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Just finished season 2, episode 8. Anyone who says this season lost a step is being ridiculous. Amazing performances all around. Wagner Moura has done the impossible, making Escobar an almost sympathetic character! Actually, Paulina Gaitan as his wife Tata had a lot to do with that. What an amazing progression from subservient wife last season.

Gavinyl, Brenald79 and EVOLVIST like this.
  22. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I have watched both seasons and contrary to what some have said here, I never found Escobar to be a sympathetic character. I rooted for Tony Soprano, Walter White, Nucky Thompson (in "Boardwalk Empire") but not Escobar in this series.

However, Wagner Moura did a great job of acting, conveying different subtle aspects of Escobar. I actually think it was more of a feat of acting for Moura to show Escobar's tenderness to his family without making me feel very sympathetic to him, as Moura always kept the monster in Escobar's character lurking just below the surface.

GodShifter and Gavinyl like this.
  23. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

I binge watched both seasons last weekend and absolutely loved it!!!! Amazingly well done series!

I'm all in season 3 when it gets here!!!

RoyalScam likes this.
  24. j.barleycorn

j.barleycorn Forum Resident

Finished watching Season 2 this week. What a great series. And the music was tremendous too. I didn't binge watch. I did an episode every couple days and considering how ruthless Escobar was that was enough immersion for me. Looking forward to season 3 .

Encuentro likes this.
  25. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Netflix has a new show El Chapo very similar to Narcos. I thought it's just as good Narcos. Season 2 comes out in September. Two seasons of a show in the same year I don't think has happened often.

ochsfan and mrstats like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.