Narcos - What do you think?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by stuguy, Aug 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CirculationUnderflow

CirculationUnderflow Well-Known Member

Season 1 was good, season 2 got very long in the tooth

2. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

Thanks for the information on El Chapo. I started watching it last week and just finished the last episode of season 1.

Brenald79 likes this.
  3. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Season 3 starts September 1. Boyd Holbrook who plays Steve Murphy will not be returning.

4. Okay, I was worried about Season 3 until I saw this small trailer. That it picks up with a ton of familiar faces - just from the trailer, as we've already seen the Cali cartel - this looks really good.

The first two seasons were grade A+ television by any standards.

Encuentro likes this.
  5. Did you guys and gals see this? It was either a part of the trailer for Season 2 and they had a lot of foresight, or they tacked this new one on to some Season 2 stuff.

mrstats likes this.
  6. ochsfan

ochsfan Forum Resident

I, too, think the voice-over is way overused, especially since some of the things that come out of Murphy's mouth seem laughably inconsistent with his character. C'mon, can you imagine this guy actually reading a Gabriel Garcia Marquez novel? He can't even be bothered to learn Spanish...

Apart from that though, I found the show increasingly compelling. Maura's performance as Escobar is stunning, and most of the rest of the cast isn't far behind. I'm hoping they can maintain the quality of the first two seasons this fall.

Luckless Pedestrian likes this.
  7. Well, I saw the first two episodes tonight.

So, how is life without Pablo? So far it's excellent!

There's no one character that's as magnetic as Pablo, but with a very strong cast - with a cartel that operates very different from Pablo's - the premise of Season 3 is just as strong as the first two seasons.

With many familiar faces, the same writers, and the same sharp cinematography, it only takes about 5 minutes to get immersed back into this world. That is to say, the show does an extremely good job at showing the natural progression of the Colombian drug world without Pablo.

Without giving anything away, of course, the Cali cartel (the main cartel of this show) had plenty of screen time during Pablo's reign. The brilliance of the show is not that one kingpin fell and another takes over; that would be pretty cliched; it's that juxtaposed with the way that Escobar did business, it becomes apparent that the Cali cartel would be in their exact same position of wealth, with or without Pablo alive. Of course this is the way that history played out...only the way that the Cali cartel does business - at least where Season 3 picks up - is, well, that would be spoilers, so I'll stop here.

It's amazing that there are only 4 pages for this show. This is A+ television in every facet.

8. JudasPriest

JudasPriest Forum Resident

Episode 1 of season 3 was impressive. Looking forward to gobbling up the rest forthwith.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  9. JudasPriest

JudasPriest Forum Resident

Have done the 1st 3 episodes and very much enjoying season 3

10. Higlander

Higlander Well-Known Member

only 3 episodes in and loving it. Pablo is Fantastic!

11. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I think it's the best season yet and best crime show on TV. I'm happy that its maintained its excellence after disappointing (so far) new season of Ray Donovan and new series Snowfall on FX this summer.

12. Season 3 of Narcos being the best?

I've still only watched the first 2 episodes, so I have a ways to go.

13. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Yes, best season of the 3.

14. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

Just began season 3. Great show!

15. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

There's a new show on Netflix called Surviving Escabar with 60! episodes in season 1. Anyone seen this?

16. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

So Surviving Escobar S1 actually has 60 episodes about 45minutes each. Ep1 was pretty good and I'll watch a few more before deciding on watching all 60. Good conplimentarty show to Narcos and El Chapo.

17. beercanchicken

beercanchicken Legendary Stickman

I have 2 episodes left and am also thinking it's the best season yet; I'm happily surprised. Scaled back voice over, great acting and the plot gets pretty intense. It's more of a "slow-burn" but definitely excellent.

18. tagomago

tagomago Original Wrapper

Yes this is the original colombian series. It's very good IMO and very colombian. Much more historically accurate too. I don't like Narcos because its only about drugs, sex and violence and all colombian girls are whores. And also it's all about the DEA heroes. Ridiculous.

Brenald79 likes this.
  19. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Did you watch the whole thing ?

20. tagomago

tagomago Original Wrapper

Do you mean the colombian one or Narcos? I did watch the whole Patron Del Mal (Surviving Escobar). It only draged sometimes when somebody important died. They overdid the grief scenes sometimes.

21. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I meant Surviving Escobar.

22. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

23. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I've been watching for the last 2 weeks, and I'm almost through Season 3.

Add me to the chorus of comments confirming that Season 3 is the best season so far, which I would not have thought possible. This is an excellent program.

24. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

I wasn't sure they'd be able to keep me as a viewer after the Season 2 wrap up. But Season 3 was impressive and I am looking forward to 4.

Spaghettiows likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.