Narrow width home theatre components?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by james, Aug 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. james

james Summon The Queen Thread Starter

Does anyone know of any home theatre receivers or processors that are 12 inches wide or less? I’m trying to see if I could fit a processor and amplifiers inside of IKEA Kallax shelves. Pretty sure I could find amplifiers, but I’m not so sure about the HT processor.

This will probably be a 3.1 setup for the time being (would need to look at in-ceiling surround channels). Vienna Acoustics Bach Grand left and right, Vienna Acoustics center channel on top of the IKEA Kallax.

I don’t know much about multi channel audio, but I use a PS4 for BluRay and an Apple TV with some 4K Samsung tv. I watch a good amount of concert DVDs. Thanks in advance for any knowledge shared!

2. SMc

SMc Forum Resident

Not much out there! There are small stereo integrated amps that may or may not have subwoofer outputs and theater passthrough inputs that could fit but might not have power enough for your speakers.

Well, there used to be the NAD C717! Probably underpowered but it's small and has a sub output. No HDMI so you'd have to take the optical output from your tv which might pass surround. I've never seen one.

Could the old Arcam Solo fit? It's still about 16" but that's still less than the standard 17+.

3. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

This ain't happening.

I can't imagine any such petite AVR or processor at all. Even if there was such a thing, it would probably underperform, and/or get plenty hot stuffed inside a little cabinet.

There are several power amps that will fit. And cost ya plenty.

But I'm hardly the final word on the matter. Try the AVS forum. Many AV gurus there.

AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Home Decor: The Enemy Of Good Audio

4. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

Mini-size component systems (like the Sony system shown below by Techmoan) were quite popular in the '80s and '90s, but pretty much disappeared in the 2000s, except maybe in the Japan.

5. SMc

SMc Forum Resident

Used Meridian processor: 3.5"(H) x 12.7"(W) x 13.1"(D). Not up-to-date for formats or HDMI, of course.

6. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Will the Harman Kardon bds 365 fit the bill? Think thats 16" wide still.

7. james

james Summon The Queen Thread Starter

thanks for the replies. i can see why a multichannel amplifier would need a large case, but I'm not sure why an A/V processor would. I guess it's just a very specific use-case I have.

8. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

It is. I don't think there has ever been such a small processor. Lotsa circuitry.

I suppose you could cram this one in sideways, and it would still hang outside the cabinet front:

Outlaw AudioModel 975

I'd suggest alternative cabinetry. Custom-built?

james likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.