Nat "King" Cole - All-Purpose Thread (was "year by year") - Part 5*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Mar 16, 2013.

Tags:
  1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

2. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

Pow! Part 5! Nat Cole goes on!

Greenalishi likes this.
  3. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

coleman likes this.
  4. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

I second this.

Why did we cut it off at 40 pages instea dof 50?

5. How about we call it "The Nat King Cole All-Purpose Thread"???

6. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

I see a few people have downloaded the radio and tv spots spreadsheet.

I've parsed out the data into columns. Much easier on the eyes. Better for searching. Duplicates have been removed.

https://www.box.com/s/muxvrs6e1kfvtppp92z5

kagentry likes this.
  7. MLutthans

Done.
    Also, we convert to new threads after 1000 posts, not the number of pages, just to clarify. (I'm not sure if we really have a reason for doing this after the conversion to Xenforo, but regardless, we'll stick with tradition, I guess.)

Matt

lukejosephchung likes this.
  8. Thanks Matt!!! Makes it a lot more welcoming to Nat's fans all over the Forum who feel like participating, but don't want to limit themselves to a chronological format!!!:thumbsup:

DLant and MLutthans like this.
  9. DLant

It's confirmed, the nice folks at Audio Fidelity sent me a massage back that Welcome to the Club has been pushed back to April 16th. Certainly worth the wait.

10. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

Thanks for clarifying. I guess it always seemed to work out to 50 pages or so on the previous installments. Ain't no thang.

11. Disappointed at the news, but understandable considering there are only 2 functional SACD pressing plants globally, in Japan and Austria!!!:sigh:

12. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

♪ Just what makes those little disc plants
    Think they'll please the audiophile man?
    ♪ Anyone knows those plants, can't
    Please the audiophile man

♪ But they've got high hopes, they've got high hopes
    They've got high apple pie in the sky hopes...

13. MLutthans

I picked up (but have yet to play) an LP that may be a bit of an oddity. It's "A Mis Amigos" on orange(/red)-label Capitol from probably 1975 or so, but it's not an SM-series catalog number like most of those titles were. Rather, it retains the SW-1220 number, even in the matrix, and the spine typeset is in the 1950's/1960's style, replete with STEREOPHONIC in a black box and the dome logo all intact. The "FULL DIMENSIONAL STEREO" banner is along the top, too -- not typical for 1970s SM-series reissues. It has all 12 tracks, and is an A5 cut on both sides, indicating it was cut at the Tower on a Scully tube-based stereo lathe.

On a related note: How's the CD on this one? I've not heard it.

14. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

A Mis Amigos? I seem to be thinking the Latin albums were lumped into one 2 CD set, which sounded fair. There have probably been a zillion comps though...

15. DLant

Collecotr's Choice issued it on its very own CD, along with a few bonus tracks. Doesn't sound too bad, remastered a bit loud for my tastes, some of the tracks will startle you if you've got the volume up a bit.

16. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

The Bear tracks for this album sound okay to me. I like the album, but it's a little difficult to listen to because Nat's pronunciation is so bad. I know he's singing phonetically, but they should have teamed him up with a coach a little longer.

17. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

I think it is unquestionably the best of the three.

18. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

A re-post of my question regarding a Japanese After Midnight CD from another thread (it probably belongs here):

19. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

Agreed.

20. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

Honestly, I would save up for the AP release. Nothing else comes close.

21. MLutthans

I'm a big fan of the AP (I own it, and play it often, and it's great), but (for instance) the Ron McMaster Capitol CD would be about a 9 on most 1-to-10 scales. The AP pushes into the "this goes to 11" strata, but if somebody flat-out can't afford the AP at this point, the McMaster version is still quite good on it's own terms. That Japanese pressing may be the McMaster version or another pretty-good mastering. Hard to say, having not heard it, and not knowing who mastered it.

eno789 likes this.
  22. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

I guess it depends upon your level of fanaticism. If I were to buy a lesser version (which I did), I would end up double spending because I know the AP version is out there and, sooner or later, would buy that one, too (which I did). If I didn't have this album at all before the AP release came out, it would be less expensive in the long run for me to just buy the AP version. If you're okay with no "great, but not the best", then the lesser version should be enough and you can stop there.

23. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

OK, thanks folks, I'll keep an eye for the AP on Amazon and eBay for a while, in the hope of getting it from an European vendor (or used from an American one). If there's no such luck, I'll end up with an alternative (of sorts). Actually, I'm a Nat newcomer but on a pretty strict/tight budget.

DLant likes this.
  24. DLant

I only have the Capitol Jazz (Ron McMaster) version, and it's really what got me hooked on Nat Cole. It was one of my first Cole albums, and I had to have more after that. I never knew that the AP version existed until I joined this forum, but am adding to my list of CDs to buy before the end of the year.

coleman likes this.
  25. MLutthans

Holy cow, this is a beautifully manufactured, mint-condition, HORRIBLE sounding pressing! Avoid! Avoid!

A 30 second clip: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7qgH1HDldamQUlsdldZUG9yZnc/edit?usp=sharing