Nat "King" Cole - All-Purpose Thread (was "year by year") - Part 5*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Mar 16, 2013.

Tags:
  1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

2. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Freddy Cole getting no love in the above.

MLutthans and Simon A like this.
  3. MLutthans

Anybody have any of the c. 1972 Dutch "Story"-series LPs?
    R-6951084-1430240811-3299.jpeg.jpg R-3684431-1353170946-2787.jpeg.jpg R-6573834-1422296278-6757.jpeg.jpg R-8645020-1465814585-7934.jpeg.jpg R-7836878-1449847128-5200.jpeg.jpg
    How many volumes were there? The similar Sinatra set had 10 volumes, with the mono-only titles being in pretty-bad fake stereo. All ten were released individually and in a boxed set for Sinatra. Similar situation for the Cole titles?

4. MLutthans

Cool pic:
    s-l1600-370.jpg

MMM likes this.
  5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

But there most certainly is somewhere over the rainbow.

CBackley likes this.
  6. MLutthans

Full-page ads currently on Ebay:
    s-l1600-388.jpg s-l1600-389.jpg s-l1600-390.jpg s-l1600-391.jpg

7. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

Going back to these old posts regarding "I Still See Elisa," if one has mid-side decoding software (a foobar2000 plugin exists) and the CCM CD of My Fair Lady, try combining the L and R info to the middle, which sums it to mono. As is on the CD, the track is not pure mono and the added reverb is mostly stereo; the reverb mostly disappears when processing the tracks on the CCM CD in this way (this also applies to "Here's To My Lady" and "You're O.K. For TV"). I've not heard these tracks on the original 45s, so I can't compare the reverb levels, but my processing made the CD tracks much more listenable!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  8. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

I did try this, but your not left with the same sound as the original single. There is still obvious reverb. I have sourced clean original mono versions now though. Thanks for the thought.

9. mahanusafa02

So the original single has a totally dry vocal?

10. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

Yes, pretty much. As was the style at that time. Most of Nats singles around this time are quite dry vocal wise.

jtaylor and mahanusafa02 like this.
  11. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Would be a few more years before Capitol started mandating goo-gobs of echo.

CBackley likes this.
  12. MLutthans

s-l1600-398.jpg
    Marlene Dietrich (and others) watching Nat King Cole. Photo has a "Paris-Match" (magazine) stamp on the back, with an "International Cable Service" date of April 25, 1960.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  13. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

There's a photo somewhere upthread of Dietrich kissing on Nat backstage from this show.

kennyluc1 likes this.
  14. MLutthans

Apologies if this has already been posted:
    s-l1600-403.jpg
    That's about $24 today. I'd jump at that!

kennyluc1, Simon A and The Killer like this.
  15. mahanusafa02

I just found the 2-disc NKC Story CD from 1991 in a charity shop, and this disc has no mastering credits listed that I can find. On the other hand, in this post (Nat King Cole - Year by Year - Part 1 ), @apileocole states that "the 1991 CD of The Nat King Cole Story was remastered by Bob Norberg." Apart from some of their signature sonic clues, how do we "know" who actually mastered some of these late '80s-early '90s Capitol discs when no mastering credits are listed?

16. MLutthans

By golly, you're right! For some reason, I thought that was a Walsh-credited disc. My apologies.
    We don't know. It's extra tricky when you consider that sometimes, for instance, Norberg might re-use a Walsh remix, and do nearly nothing to it (in terms of mastering tweaks), so it's credited as "Mastered by Robert Norberg," but it's very nearly a straight transfer of a previous mix and mastering done by Larry Walsh. By-and-large, I think that if it's 1991 or earlier, odds are good that it's a Walsh mastering, unless credited otherwise.

I literally have never listened to my Nat King Cole Story "Walsh" CD. Are there tell-tale signs there?

mahanusafa02 likes this.
  17. mahanusafa02

I am about to find out! Maybe I should spin the AP SACD immediately afterward to reflect on how much of my life I had just wasted?

18. MLutthans

Re: The 1984 French "Classics" set of trio recordings:
    [​IMG]

The good transfers are absolutely top-notch, but there are also some that are from wet tapes (reverb added) or presented off-speed. The rundown:
    Screen shot 2018-04-27 at 8.18.41 PM.png Screen shot 2018-04-27 at 8.25.22 PM.png
    Screen shot 2018-04-27 at 8.12.03 PM.png
    Some of the
    wet-tape releases are more wet than others. (A couple are almost negligible.....almost.)

.crystalised. likes this.
  19. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

"Ill String Along Without You" has always been one of my favorites.

MLutthans likes this.
  20. Ridin'High

Ridin'High Forum Resident

Capitol started to regularly release stereo singles in 1959. I'm wondering about the status of Nat's stereo singles:

1) which ones were his earliest?

2) are there any 1956-1958 monophonic Nat singles for which multi-track tapes are known or believed to exist?

I'm also looking into his calypso/doo-wop/rhythm & blues/ (pseudo) rock 'n' roll numbers from 1957, whether on singles and albums ... performances such as 'Let's Make More Love," "When Rock and Roll Come to Trinidad," "Blue Moon," and the wonderful "Send for Me." It so happens that all of those were recorded during the first half of 1957 (March & May). Have any of them been issued on stereo?

P.S. Also (and if you might forgive my mention of this other guy here), any chance that the following thread might be re-opened? Sinatra in Stereo. I want to ask essentially the same question about Frank, and that thread seems like the most suitable place for this query.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    Bob F and .crystalised. like this.
  21. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

are there any 1956-1958 monophonic Nat singles for which multi-track tapes are known or believed to exist?
    There is an orphan, non-album track from November 20 1957, "How Did I Change?", that was recorded in stereo but not issued (at all, mono or stereo) for many years. However, this session was split with Riddle, who was recording for Sea of Dreams, an album released in mono and stereo.

I can't recall offhand if the EP session in August 1957, done during the Just One of Those Things sessions, was also recorded in stereo. I don't believe so.

I'm also looking into his calypso/doo-wop/rhythm & blues/ (pseudo) rock 'n' roll numbers from 1957, whether on singles and albums ... performances such as 'Let's Make More Love," "When Rock and Roll Come to Trinidad," "Blue Moon," and the wonderful "Send for Me." It so happens that all of those were recorded during the first half of 1957 (March & May). Have any of them been issued on stereo?

Neither the March or May sessions has ever been issued in stereo. I'm of the opinion they were recorded mono only. Same is true of the November 22, 1957 date, which was essentially replicated the formula from the May "Send for Me" date.

The singles-only, New York R&B session of February 1958 was also mono only.

22. .crystalised.

.crystalised. Forum Resident

So it seems that Capitol followed the same M.O. in NY as they did in LA. Album sessions rolled stereo (St. Louis Blues) but not singles sessions...

Interesting to consider that we'd have a stereo mix for any of those singles if recorded four days earlier.

Incidentally, Carmen McRae was a big fan of Nat King Cole, as evidenced by an appearance on the UK series Juke Box Jury. The master of ceremonies plays "Just As Much As Ever" (recorded at that February '58 session) and it's the only song she compliments in the entire episode. Ironic, since it's so R&B and Carmen was... well, anything but.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    Ridin'High likes this.
  23. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Singles like Non Dimenticar have a three track (off mic and all) version, a mixed stereo version (made from the three-track) and a close miked mono version. Was the song a stereo single?

Ridin'High likes this.
  24. .crystalised.

.crystalised. Forum Resident

Yeah, Ridin'High wants to know if there's any strictly "singles" sessions of Nat in '58 captured in both mono and stereo. Seems like Capitol only rolled stereo for album sessions or mixed (album + singles) sessions in the late 50s. Is "Non Dimenticar" from a singles only session?

More specifically though, for Nat's rock 'n' roll/R&B stuff, because we're trying to figure out why Peggy (Lee) got so much early stereo for her doo-wop singles.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    Ridin'High likes this.
  25. MLutthans

An oldie-but-goodie post:

Ridin'High and .crystalised. like this.