SH Spotlight Nat King Cole-Billy May: JUST ONE OF THOSE THINGS AP 45 RPM VINYL still in stock at AS for 60 bucks

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

album_just_one_large.jpg nat_with_billy_may_angel_eyes_session.jpg Another Nat King Cole album that might be overlooked is the classic big band album JUST ONE OF THOSE THINGS with Billy May conducting his own arrangements.

This is a beautiful album, recorded in mono and a separate "stereophonic" feed with a different microphone setup. True to this great series, the SACD/CD gives you THREE MIXES, the multi-channel mixes, the stereo mixes and the original "hit" mono mixes all on the same disk, plus two bonus tracks, one of them never heard before.

Don't overlook this gem. The trouble alone we went through to keep Nat's cigarette in his hand on the album cover art could fill three chapters in a book.

You'll really dig this album, it's not frantic at all, rather a nicely paced collection of standards that Nat gives his all to. A tremendous hit in 1957, we have lovingly recompiled it in correct LP order with great thought to vocal to orchestra mix balance. As with many early Capitol three-track recordings, some of the instruments are slightly out of phase. If we flip phase on the music tracks, OTHER instruments go a bit out. Such is life. Nothing we can do about it though so don't bother to ask. The 45 RPM version contains a slightly different mix of the album tracks plus the song left off the album, "You'll Never Know", all mixed live to lacquer from three-track tape. First (and probably last) time that will ever be done.

Take a look at the musicians in the band (below). A who's who of the swing era, isn't it? Dig the tuba, dig the crystal clean sound with just the right amount of "chamber" but most of all, dig Nat King Cole at his absolute prime.

---------
    1957 Capitol LP JUST ONE OF THOSE THINGS Three-channel mix, stereo mix and original mono mix for Analogue Productions mastered by Gray/Hoffman:

There is a three channel SACD section with all songs below except the alternate take of JUST FOR THE FUN OF IT which has no three channel tape. There is a two channel SACD section with all songs in stereo except for alternate take of JUST FOR THE FUN OF IT. There is a mono SACD section with all songs below on it. There is a CD stereo section with same content as SACD stereo section. The CD mono section has all songs below on it.

Original 12 song LP:

When Your Lover Has Gone
    A Cottage For Sale
    Who’s Sorry Now?
    Once In A While
    These Foolish Things Remind Me Of You
    Just For The Fun Of It
    Don’t Get Around Much Anymore
    I Understand
    Just One Of Those Things
    The Song Is Ended
    I Should Care
    The Party’s Over

Bonus Tracks:
    You’ll Never Know (recorded for but left off the album, tape box marked "SINGLE?")
    Just For The Fun Of It (prev. unissued take one) MONO ONLY (no three-track exists. This is on DSD, CD layer only, not 45 RPM vinyl)
    -------------------------
    Below info courtest of J. Taylor and Apileocole:

LP-Just One Of Those Things:

July 10, 1957

(Session #6133; 13:00-17:00) Capitol Recording Studio, 1750 N. Vine Street, Hollywood, California
    Nat Cole (vocal) Billy May (arranger/conductor) John Collins (guitar) Charles P. Harris (bass) Lee Young (drums) Louis 'Lou' Singer (percussion) James G. 'Jimmy' Rowles (piano) Fred Falensby (baritone saxophone) Jules Jacob (tenor saxophone) Theodore M. 'Ted' Nash (tenor saxophone) Wilbur Schwartz (alto saxophone) William McLeish 'Willie' Smith (alto saxophone) Edward Kuczborski 'Ed' Kusby (trombone) Murray McEachern (trombone) George Mortimore Roberts (bass trombone) Simon H. 'Si' Zentner (trombone) Harry Edward 'Sweets' Edison (trumpet) Conrad Gozzo (trumpet) Mannie Klein (trumpet) Uan Rasey (trumpet) Red Callender (tuba) Helen B. Hutchinson (harp)
    • (17285-11) Don't Get Around Much Anymore
    • (17286-15) The Song Is Ended (But The Melody Lingers On)
    • (17287-14) You'll Never Know
    • (17288-3) Just For The Fun Of It (alt.)
    Note: 17288 was remade at session 6175.

July 19, 1957

(Session #6147; 13:00-16:30) Capitol Recording Studio, 1750 N. Vine Street, Hollywood, California
    Nat Cole (vocal) Billy May (arranger/conductor) John Collins (guitar) Charles P. Harris (bass) Lee Young (drums) Louis 'Lou' Singer (percussion) Bill Miller (piano) William M. 'Buddy' Collette (tenor saxophone) Fred Falensby (baritone saxophone) Jules Jacob (tenor saxophone) Wilbur Schwartz (alto saxophone) William McLeish 'Willie' Smith (alto saxophone) Edward Kuczborski 'Ed' Kusby (trombone) Murray McEachern (trombone) George Mortimore Roberts (bass trombone) Simon H. 'Si' Zentner (trombone) Harry Edward 'Sweets' Edison (trumpet) Conrad Gozzo (trumpet) Mannie Klein (trumpet) Uan Rasey (trumpet) Red Callender (tuba) Helen B. Hutchinson (harp)

• (17345-21) Who's Sorry Now?
    • (17346-9) These Foolish Things (Remind Me Of You)
    • (17347-8) Once In A While

July 31, 1957

(Session #6175; 13:25-17:12) Capitol Recording Studio, 1750 N. Vine Street, Hollywood, California
    Nat Cole (vocal) Billy May (arranger/conductor) John Collins (guitar) Charles P. Harris (bass) Lee Young (drums) Frank Joseph Flynn (percussion) James G. 'Jimmy' Rowles (piano) William M. 'Buddy' Collette (tenor saxophone) Fred Falensby (baritone saxophone) Jules Jacob (tenor saxophone) Wilbur Schwartz (alto saxophone) William McLeish 'Willie' Smith (alto saxophone) Murray McEachern (trombone) George Mortimore Roberts (bass trombone) William 'Bill' Schaeffer (trombone) Lloyd Ulyate (trombone) Walter P. 'Pete' Candoli (trumpet) Harry Edward 'Sweets' Edison (trumpet) Lennie Mach (trumpet) Vito Mangano (trumpet) Red Callender (tuba) Helen B. Hutchinson (harp)
    • (17288-12) Just For The Fun Of It (remake)
    • (17391-9) Just One Of Those Things
    • (17392-9) I Should Care
    • (17393-14) The Party's Over

August 7, 1957

(Session #6180; 13:00-16:15) Capitol Recording Studio, 1750 N. Vine Street, Hollywood, California
    Nat Cole (vocal) Billy May (arranger/conductor) John Collins (guitar) Charles P. Harris (bass) Lee Young (drums) Frank Joseph Flynn (percussion) James G. 'Jimmy' Rowles (piano) William M. 'Buddy' Collette (tenor saxophone) Fred Falensby (baritone saxophone) Jules Jacob (tenor saxophone) Harry G. Klee (alto saxophone) William McLeish 'Willie' Smith (alto saxophone) Francis L. 'Joe' Howard (bass trombone) Edward Kuczborski 'Ed' Kusby (trombone) Murray McEachern (trombone) William 'Bill' Schaefer (trombone) Walter P. 'Pete' Candoli (trumpet) Harry Edward 'Sweets' Edison (trumpet) Conrad Gozzo (trumpet) Mannie Klein (trumpet) Red Callender (tuba) Helen B. Hutchinson (harp)
    • (17394-9) A Cottage For Sale
    • (17395-3) I Understand
    • (17396-14) When Your Lover Has Gone

Last edited: Jun 17, 2023
  2. Can't wait for the 45rpm of this and "After Midnight". The 45rpm vinyl of "St. Louis Blues" is otherworldly.

3. JM Jones

JM Jones Forum Resident

Wow! Great pic!!

Mr. Cole with Tony Soprano . ... :cool:

4. mosleyh

mosleyh Forum Resident

Nat King Cole "JUST ONE OF THOSE THINGS"

My personal favorite NKC album.

Billy May was underappreciated as an arranger IMHO. He used all of the different individual voices of the big band rather than just using it as one big instrument as many others did. (Have you ever really listened to the arrangement on Sinatra's "Come Fly With Me"?)

There's not a weak track on this album. Love the swing version of "Who's Sorry Now?" I think the :nyah::nyah::nyah: attitude fits the lyric better than a ballad reading does.

CAN. NOT. WAIT!!!

5. vintage_tube

vintage_tube Enjoying Life & Music

I'll only make one post in one of the 4 Steve opened concerning these new NKC releases -- and having the 1st four - all I can say is NKC is the most beautiful male vocal music I have. NKC is to credit of course, but to make it listenable, with jaw on the floor is the result of the hard work, talent, expertise and conscientiousness of SH & KG (and a thanks to Chad too & everyone else involved).

Really looking forward to the other releases -- truely awesome.

Bob

SinnerSaint and CBackley like this.
  6. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

What was the problem? Aging negatives or the original artwork not available.......?

7. Steve Hoffman

You kiddin'?

Attached Files:

8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

This is going to be such a fun listen.

9. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

And a big Altec coaxial monitor!

Seriously, this album is one of my absolute favorites by ANY artist. The songs are all "downers" in terms of lyrical content, but the arrangements are ebullient and joyful -- and it ALL clicks! I *NEVER* get tired of this album. Any breakup song that includes a tuba can't be all bad.

Matt

10. This will be one big NKC festival !

11. Steve has related before on this, and the short answer is the Estate did not want to promote smoking since NKC died of lung/throat cancer, but Steve and all prevailed upon them for historical accuracy, and as Steve aluded to, the picture is so wrong with the cigarette airbrushed out.

CBackley likes this.
  12. Steve Hoffman

Not just the estate, other powers as well got into the act. Sigh.

Also, removing the "and more" from the title (see photo of old CD in earlier post) was a major hassle (again!)

CBackley likes this.
  13. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

Thanks! I see the reasoning behind it, but I think the historical accuracy issue takes precedence (plus: "Those that ignore history are......").

For multichannel sacd system owners, this recording looks like another reason to make sure your center channel is up to snuff! Those smaller two-way models e.g. with dual 4 inch "woofers" will leave you wanting imo.

14. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I have the wonderful 33 version of this album, and it is one of my favorites. I hate to buy another copy of an already great sounding record, but I must have this on 45.

15. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

A bunch of countries don't allow cigarettes to be used in any kind of advertising.

The Beatles boxset(US Capitol album Vol 2?) from a couple years ago had some cigs airbrushed out. Bee Gees boxset(early stuff 67-68, 3 members standing in a park) from a couple years got to keep theirs, but it might have been missing from stuff like Mojo print ads.

As for NKC, any of these available at retail in western Canada?

16. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

The cover should have never been altered to add "and more" to begin with.

17. Steve Hoffman

That's for sure, though at the time (1980's) they thought they were helping the album by adding those extra songs. Don't know why the revised title passed into "fact" though...

18. zurge

zurge Forum Resident

This will be my second "modern" version of the album (I have a few copies of the original capital mono pressing) with Steve's S & P version being the first. I am very, very much looking forward to hearing the mono version...!

19. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Really silly the whole thing with the cigarettes. Why not just air brush every non pc thing out of the world. I find glorified images of war appalling but inwould never want "history" or current world air brushed out. Hiding reality doesn't serve Nat or anything. I'm sure it would be okay if he had a gun in his hand rather than a cigarette. Oh when did the world become this silly? Thank goodness for these releases and the good fight to keep the images correct.

20. Steve Hoffman

I think the entire politically correct thing has gone a bit too far, yes. But, on the other hand, smoking can kill you so I'm not going to lose any sleep over them trying to wipe out any photographs of it for mass media purposes, as long as they don't mess with the originals. (But don't touch my projects!) ;)

21. More Cole/May releases(?)

Have you asked Chad Kassem or the Cole Estate if they'd be interested in a vinyl/SACD reissue of "The Billy May Sessions" 2-CD set released by Capitol in the early '90s? Grateful as I am that this album is finally being done justice in both analogue and digital release, the other tracks they did together are equally deserving, Steve. Since it's a reissue of a previously existing OOP compilation, they may be amenable to the idea. It's one collection that would be a resoundingly definite purchase for me!

22. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

This morning the vinyl album JUST ONE OF THOSE THINGS arrived from Acoustic Sounds. I will be celebrating all weekend.:angel:

Dale

23. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I thought I knew these albums, but these vinyl versions all provide me with those moments every so often with a chill, or goosebumps, or whatever you may call it. The dynamics hit you every little while. On a swing album like this, Nat's timing was legendary. With this version, I can hear more places where Nat just nails it. :thumbsup:

24. Steve Hoffman

Good to hear.

25. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Thanks Again!

I'll snatch up the SACD when I have the chance. I have an immaculate MONO LP, regard myself as really lucky to have it. First heard the record in 1963—my soon to be stepmother from South Central possessed a stereo copy that I gleefully listened to hundreds of times. My LP [from a thrift store] still has the shrink-wrap on it. Incredible sound, possibly the best of all of my LPs.