Nat King Cole box, "His Musical Autobiography," October 2015 from Universal*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by shicorp, Jun 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fer Urbina

Fer Urbina Well-Known Member

Hello everyone,

A reviewer in Amazon Italy says that there are problems with CD 9 and DVD 2. I checked my copy and I got the same.

CD9, #6: there's some digital skipping from 1:07 to 1:15 (loudest at 1:15) , of the kind you get when the disk or the lens are not clean. My disk is clean, but it has a tiny black spot embedded in the plastic (definitely not on the external surface).

DVD 2: mine jumps back to the main menu when the film gets to 1:19:01, right when Cole says "... at home, and that coun[cut]".

Has anyone had the same problems?

Thanks!

F

2. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I got those digital clicks (about one per second, or 8-9 of them, on that CD track. But at least it is a Carolyn Richard vocal, and not a Nat Cole vocal or piano solo. That track is also issued on the JATP box, haven't checked my copy of that. It is a minor distraction, though with respect to Nat himself. Reminds you of an old record with a few clicks.
    Not enough to discourage a sale of this incredible set.

I'll report on the DVD next.

3. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

For convenience, I played the DVD on my computer using VLC media player. That weird jerk back to the menu did happen at that Nat clip (though a few seconds later in timing, but at those words).

But all is not lost. I decided to "rip" the DVD using the freeware program "DVD Shrink". I just selected the documentary film only, deleted the various subtitles, and was able to copy the entire documentary film "Afraid of the Dark" with no video compression at all (i.e. 100%). The copy plays perfectly with no blip or other defect at all. Nice.

A malfunction in the DVD menu structure, but all the bonus features play perfectly on the original DVD. The main documentary plays perfectly on the DVD copy.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  4. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member Thread Starter

I can confirm the glitch on CD9 - seems to be an error in the source - ripping quality is 100%.. :(

I have yet to check the DVDs - I remember having problems ripping them and then giving up. Maybe for the very same reason you mention :(

5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Did you use DVD Shrink? If not, you should get it. Though now many years old, it works perfectly on nearly all DVDs.

That Carolyn Richards vocal is Track #11 on CD#1 of the Complete JATP Box. It plays OK there. However, it still is not too critical on the Nat Cole box, and no click in any Nat portion

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  6. Fer Urbina

Fer Urbina Well-Known Member

Thanks! The faulty track also plays well on Cole's Hip-O Select 3-CD set (CD2, #6).

Will keep the DVD-Shrink solution in mind.

F

7. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Anyone got any more feedback on this set?
    I see its on offer in the Uk £29.99

Peace and love✌

8. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

There is the advantage of having the rare stuff on this set, but I wouldn't expect the sound on everything else to be demonstration quality. Some of things have fine sound but for a few - I have heard better elsewhere.

It is a fine looking box set with a good LP-size book. However I have taken some of the credits with a grain of salt. For example where they list 2 or 3 conductors for one song.

Overall, I am glad I collected it. Your mileage may vary.

kennyluc1 and Beaneydave like this.
  9. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

I want to get my hands on the booklet, but that's it.

10. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

the video material is good, the session material is good

kennyluc1 and Beaneydave like this.
  11. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

Thinking of getting this set.

Btw, has anyone heard from "apileocole"? Is he still around?

12. What is the SQ like?

13. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member Thread Starter

Mishmash - a copy&paste job from earlier releases - I think one track even has the CD skips in it (see earlier in this thread) :crazy:

14. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

@dale 88, does the booklet make any claims about which, if any, of the 13 takes of "Thank You, Pretty Baby" is the master?

15. dale 88

They say Take 13.
    [​IMG]

Simon A and jtaylor like this.
  16. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Thanks a lot, Dale!

17. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Haven't done a thorough comparison of the session material with the released take that appeared in 1967, so I can't yet confirm if 13 is the take used for that LP (fwiw, take 13 is cited in the Ruppli and Bear Family discographies), but this acetate should dispel the notion that only 13 takes were attempted.

[​IMG]

18. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

I just compared session Take 13 with the overdubbed version that appears on the Thank You, Pretty Baby LP from 1967, and those are not identical. Possible, though, that the overdubbed master is pieced from multiple takes.

19. dale 88

Hm -- wish I could hear # 17

20. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

This is the first time that tracks going this far back have had an official (Capitol or Decca/MCA, both now under Universal) release, correct?

(EDIT: Not including the 1936 Eddie Cole tracks on Decca.)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    Changeling likes this.
  21. dale 88

Right. As far as I know this is the first time that "Capitol" has released these Davis & Schwegler sides. In the listing for these tracks on CD 1 from the set His Musical Autobiography, it shows a "capital P circled 2015 Capitol Records LLC".

22. dale 88

I was disappointed that the set His Musical Autobiography did not include Oscar Moore's tune "Beautiful Moons Ago". I would love to hear a modern corrected source of this great side. The issues that I have heard all have to much wobble in the sound. Also, someone needs to verify the correct speed on this one.

MLutthans likes this.
  23. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Late to the game, admittedly, I ordered a copy of this yesterday.

Is this a Germany-based release? How'd that come to pass?

CBackley likes this.
  24. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

Matt on the back cover of the box it says "Made In the Czech Republic "

25. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

I have had this box set for roughly 2 years. It is a beautifully made set, compared to some of the Sinatra Box Sets, which,
    as we all know, are cheaply made. This set is a "spare no expense " set.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.