Nat King Cole box, "His Musical Autobiography," October 2015 from Universal*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by shicorp, Jun 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

The booklet that comes with the box ... is a Real Book.

2. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

the 3rd track on disc 1. " Harlem Swing " is not on the Savoy cd, it is on disc 1 of the 4-cd set
    " Sweet Lorraine : the early transcriptions of the NKC trio 1938-1941 By the way I am in need of a copy of the booklet for this 4-cd set.
    I have been told that the booklet can be printed out at a internet site, unknown to me, does anyone know of this site ?

3. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

A friend was kind enough to send some scans of the book. I've only gone through the first 30 pages or so, and while there are some good photographs thus far, some not widely seen, I find the writing (Havers?) to be really weak. Feels as if Wikipedia was the main source for much of what is written. A little disappointing.

4. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

A few minutes ago, my copy of His Musical Autobiography arrived via USPS. I popped it open, and hit PLAY. Disc one, track one is There's No Anesthetic for Love, and.....it's missing the first note!!!! How does this stuff happen??!! This isn't some track that is buried midway through disc 6 or something. It's disc one, track one.

I thought these screw-ups only happened on Sinatra titles.

CBackley and melstapler like this.
  5. MLutthans

They may be manufactured there, but the fine print on the CDs [EDIT: and on the outer cover] references Universal Music B.V., which is the Netherlands branch of Universal, so....this is officially a Dutch release? :shrug:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    kennyluc1 likes this.
  6. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Can I ask where you ordered it from? I thought it was OOP.

MLutthans likes this.
  7. MLutthans

CBackley and bferr1 like this.
  8. MLutthans

....and the text (not just the essay) is chock full of errors, some quite glaring.

jtaylor likes this.
  9. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I know this set has some substantial flaws, but I found a copy on eBay NEW for a little more than $50. Unfortunately, two of the discs had come loose and were scratched to hell. Another disc had stuck to the glue and has paper all over the bottom. I'll return it to the seller and order it from someone else, but this sucks. Hopefully my next set won't have the same issues too.

I wonder if Universal would send replacement discs. Probably not to US customers for this set, I guess. Ugh.

10. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Exhibit A:

[​IMG]

MLutthans, kennyluc1 and Simon A like this.
  11. MLutthans

Twelve of the trio's sixteen Decca=recorded tracks appear in this set, duped from this 1990 CD:
    [​IMG]
    ....meaning that Sweet Lorraine is an alternate take, not the original hit version.

jtaylor and kennyluc1 like this.
  12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

At least as far as Amazon Marketplace, I was right. Today, the two copies on Amazon run $235 & $255 with shipping.

It was nice at $62, but many complained

SteveM and CBackley like this.
  13. CBackley

I bought this set last fall, and I really enjoy it. Clearly the mastering isn’t always the best. But it’s a nice set to put on and just hit ‘play.’ So much great music.

SteveM and Tribute like this.
  14. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Knew I should've taken the plunge when it was still relatively cheap. Oh well, you snooze, you lose.

15. CBackley

They are available on eBay and on Amazon UK for much cheaper. Take the plunge!

Tribute, Dave Garrett and SteveM like this.
  16. CBackley

What’s going on with “When I Fall In Love” on this set? The sound seems to shift slightly from right to left to right to left throughout the entire track. It’s like there’s slight pressure in one ear and then the other the whole time. Is this tape damage? Does anyone else hear this on their copy? It’s annoying as heck.

I hadn’t spent a lot of time with this track on this release before. I have the AP SACD of Love Is The Thing done by our host and Kevin Gray, so I obviously reach for that when I want a song from Love.

17. kbmh

kbmh Forum Resident

Looks like it's still available from amazon UK. Quickly took the plunge. It says that there's one copy left in stock - if there's still anyone looking for it.

18. MLutthans

Spotted this on Ebay tonight. Quite the odd typo!
    Screen shot 2019-08-09 at 11.53.50 PM.png

CBackley, Simon A and kennyluc1 like this.
  19. Now available new for as little as £25!

This is a nice set with a beautiful hardback book and handsome 12" square hard cover slip case. Some thought it would go out of print quickly and then prices would rise.

So far that's not happened but at the current bargain prices I'd implore anyone with an interest in Nat King Cole who doesn't already have a copy to grab it now.

CBackley likes this.
  20. Dave Garrett

Might I ask where you are seeing this at bargain prices? Just had a quick check of the usual suspects in the US and UK and don't see one for anything close to GBP25.

21. I'm trying to recall where it's 25 GBP but just spotted it at £29.99 at www.recordstore.co.uk

There are also quite a few sellers on EBay and Discogs with it at the same price.

22. Dave Garrett

Thanks. I am in the US. When I check recordstore.co.uk, they are apparently tracking visitors' countries of residence via IP address, as the site automatically defaulted to US$ as the currency, and the price for the set shows up as US$81.99.

I only saw a handful of copies on eBay (US and UK sites), unless there are listings under a title other than "Nat King Cole His Musical Autobiography", with the best price being about GBP38, but that seller did not ship to the US.

I forgot to check Discogs until you mentioned it, but all of the Discogs sellers are in Poland, so I suspect shipping costs might be prohibitive.

SteveM likes this.
  23. Wow, that's one heck of a price jump! Yes, I suppose shipping to the US will somewhat negate the massive savings available to the UK and EU.

I usually have the same issue when buying from the US! But, for anyone in the UK it's still a deal.

Dave Garrett likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.