Nat King Cole experts, tell me about "Every Time I Feel The Spirit" LP, 1959, amazing stereo sound!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Feb 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I assume it was recorded at Universal and at the First Church Of Deliverance. Tape box was a standard 1959 style Capitol legend as I remember. Had some defacing on it from when they changed catalog numbers in 1965. Info at bottom: Just when lacquers were cut, assembly, etc. No session info. Nothing else survived the great vault purge of 1959 from this album except the usual mono reels, plus the phono reel safeties.

jtaylor and vonwegen like this.
  2. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

I have a good stereo copy of the '65 reissue LP, Nat King Cole Sings Hymns & Spirituals. (I passed on the CD since I saw it was Norberged.)

Sound is good. Not bad for stereo of the time. Nat is not centered, but his voice comes through clearly and cleanly. And his voice is in top form here. Standout tracks for me are "Ain't Gonna Study War No More" and "Oh, Mary, Don't You Weep." I prefer Steve's remaster for the latter on The Nat King Cole Story, since Nat is nice and centered.

The church ambience is definitely there. Jenkins did a great job with the choral arrangements, but sometimes in the mix they seem too overpowering.

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  3. rxcory

Would love to see the photo, Matt, if you have it available for posting.

bleachershane and Steve Hoffman like this.
  4. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Here's the shot showing the recording gear at Purdue, 1959:
    GillettePalladinoSHTV.jpg

lukpac, MMM, .crystalised. and 5 others like this.
  5. Steve Hoffman

That looks like hell on earth. Why didn't they record Kenton at the Bowl or something? Why so far afield?

.crystalised. and rxcory like this.
  6. MLutthans

I asked John Palladino who the engineer was, and he couldn't recall the name, but remembered that he was from the NYC studios.

EDIT: Another shot of a similar, non-Universal situation, also in Indiana, from 1962:
    Screen shot 2013-02-16 at 10.41.30 PM.jpg

lukpac, MMM and vonwegen like this.
  7. Steve Hoffman

It sounds like you're saying that the 1965 cutting also has NAT out of phase. Hard to believe!

8. MLutthans

Kenton was doing a travelling show with The Four Freshmen and others, and the LP was a double-album with everybody onboard.

Matt

.crystalised. likes this.
  9. rxcory

Great photos. I love the use of the word, "portable."

10. Steve Hoffman

Why didn't they just use the three-track and mix down to mono instead of having TWO consoles, tape machines, etc.? Geez, makes me itch.

.crystalised. and vonwegen like this.
  11. rxcory

Nat is off to the right. Not completely - just about 60%. It's like almost like an Alan Parsons Project stereo panning, except he stays there the whole time. Thank God this mix folds down into mono pretty well.

12. MLutthans

The funny thing is, it seemed to be the opposite of the "two mics for stereo" routine that had been used at The Tower, wherein the stereo mics would just kind of run on auto-pilot. On the mono recording, it sounds like the mics were largely just left "open" for each group, while on the stereo mix, you can hear definite knob-twiddling going on. Both mixes sound okay, but they are very different. (By the way, that album would be a cool SACD audiophile reissue project, as it's got Kenton, Christy, and the Four Freshman, and probably a couple of hours of music if you went back to the raw tapes. Hint, hint.)

13. Steve Hoffman

That's so weird. Seems like they cut the album with one channel not loud enough. Nat's voice (except on track one) should be right in the middle at all times. Weird. Maybe they used old parts or something.

What's so wacky is the tapes sound so dang wonderful.

vonwegen likes this.
  14. Steve Hoffman

I've never even heard of it!

15. MLutthans

This one:
    59dbe893e7a0305023ac5110.L.jpg

16. Steve Hoffman

Totally new to me! Looks like June Christy's grandmother.

MLutthans likes this.
  17. Steve Hoffman

If anyone has the NAT COLE Gospel album (either cover) in MONAURAL, can you tell me what it sounds like? Very curious... Thanks.

18. I Love Music

I Love Music Forum Resident

I don't know whether you've seen this site. It provide a few details about the Every Time I Feel the Spirit recording sessions on September 29 and 30, 1958 with The First Church of Deliverance Choir. [On the site, scroll down to 1958 and Nat King Cole w/ The First Church of Deliverance Choir and click on the link to get the session details].

From the way the information is presented, I can't determine whether separate mono and stereo machines were used to make the mono (catalog no. W 1249) and stereo (SW 1249) LPs but maybe you can make something of it.

I'm only familiar with the "wonky" original stereo LP (SW 1249) and have never heard the mono version.

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  19. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Were the PHASE problems fixed in the 2008 issue from Collector's Choice Music? I don't have it but I am listening to the album on MOG and it may be taken from that issue. For those that have a subscription to MOG, this is the album site address:

http://mog.com/m/album/27922629?ci=40000

Only the 12 tracks are there even though Collector's Choice threw in a few bonus tracks.

AmazonUK has mp3 samples available for the Collector's Choice album (12 tracks only).

20. jallen89

jallen89 Forum Resident

Steve, I love your mastering of Nat King Cole, they all sound amazing, right up there with your Hotel California and A Night At The Opera. Any chance of your mastering of Every Time I Feel The Spirit will be released on Audio Fidelity?

21. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Steve, if you end up doing a mastering of this album, I will make a request to the record company to send me a copy of this as I have a Gospel hour on a radio station I work for.

22. Jayson Wall

Jayson Wall Forum Resident

I have a D5/D5 original mono pressing, and it's no sonic wonder. There's distortion on most of the cuts on the top end of Nat's vocals, his vocal is lost in the choir on "O' Mary, DOn't You Weep" and if it's even possible, "Nobody Knows The Trouble I've Seen" sounds worse in mono than stereo. Just a muddy/ugly sounding all the way around, so to my ears this is a fold down from the stereo.

23. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

vonwegen and Steve Hoffman like this.
  24. rxcory

Thanks for the info, Jayson. I don't have a mono copy and now I don't think I will seek one out.

I dug out my reissue stereo copy. It's an A3/A3. Not the quietest pressing ever, but at least I know it's not NR-ed. Both stereo channels seem to have roughly equivalent volume levels, despite Nat's vocals being off to the right, so I would think this is a mix issue, not a mastering/pressing issue.

vonwegen likes this.
  25. Steve Hoffman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.