NAT "KING" COLE - Year by Year - Part 3

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

2. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Alan Dell liner notes --The Capitol Years [20 LP Set] NKC20 - 1987

Nat King Cole
    Just One Of Those Things
    EMS 1105

Alan Dell LP cover below:
    JustOneOfThoseThings17 (4).jpg

Below is the original album cover ( refurbished on the Audiophile 180 gram S & P LP release) as posted by Clark Kauffman, thanks Clark.
    NKCJustOne.jpg

Below is the 1987 CD album cover version which was called Just One Of Those Things & More:
    NKCJustOne&More (4).jpg

3. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Thanks for posting, Dale and thanks for the spiffy new thread, Matt. :wave:

Nice way of putting it as usual per Alan Dell and as for covers: original = best.

4. MLutthans

Note the magic, disappearing cigarette.

5. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

Yeah, I'm not fond of smoking myself, but that's just plain silly!

They've digitally erased them from a few Disney animated films too.

Agree with apc (can I call you that?) that the original cover is best.

Thanks Dale for posting these and the notes from Dell.

I wonder if Capitol keeps good files on the original cover art?

6. serge

serge Forum Resident

Was this album originally issued in stereo?

And was it originally recorded in stereo and mono?

7. MLutthans

No stereo LPs yet in 1957. It was released (perhaps in abridged format) in Capitol's ZD-prefix series of 2-track, 7.5 ips stereo tapes in 1957 prior to an LP release that likely took place around 1958.

By sheer coincidence, I bought a beautiful mono copy last summer, but have not yet given it a spin.

Matt

8. MLutthans

^^^^Capitol 2-track reel #ZD-28.

9. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

EDIT--Matt has better info above. Faster too

It was issued in both MONO and STEREO, but since I don't remember the dates each was issued, others will no doubt let us know whether they were issued simultaneously or whether the MONO was issued first.

The new production coming from Steve Hoffman and AP will have both of those versions plus a 3 channel:)

10. serge

serge Forum Resident

But it was issued in stereo in 1958 so it was recorded in stereo even though stereo did not exist? Or they went back in to the studio? or how do they do that?

11. MLutthans

^^^^$12.95 tape, vs. $4.98 on mono LP (stereo not yet available)

Here's a listing from Billboard magazine, March 1958:

Attached Files:

12. benjaminhuf

I might be off here, but I think that starting with Love is the Thing, which was recorded in December of 1956, all of NKC's albums were recorded in stereo from that point on. I think that for a couple of tracks on Love the stereo didn't work out, but after that Stereo all the way for the albums (but with mono too for some of them).

I'm sure other people have better info.

13. MLutthans

As with almost all of Capitol's product from December 1956-1964 or so, it was recorded "dry" on 3-tracks (two for orchestra, one for vocal), with reverb added in post-production, plus recorded live-to-mono, reverb included.

14. serge

serge Forum Resident

How do i share a picture?

15. benjaminhuf

OK, so this is something I'm ashamed to say I'm still not clear on (even though I think people have explained it to me before).....Anyway, are you saying that they recorded the whole album twice--once in mono and once in stereo? And so that there are technically two slightly different takes of the same album?

In any case, I'm sure we're getting both the mono and stereo mixes on most of these SACDs that are coming up.

16. benjaminhuf

You go below to "Manage Attachments" and browse your hard drive for the jpg or whatever it is you want, and then attach and load it up....Hope to see a pic soon!:righton:

17. serge

serge Forum Resident

anyways its here:

(weird now it shows up as attached...this is freaky)

Attached Files:

• nat.jpg
      nat.jpg
      File size:
      18.9 KB
      Views:
  18. benjaminhuf

I like that picture! But I'm a little lost. What exactly is it? I know it's a record of Just One of Those Things, but it's some kind of master....??

19. MLutthans

No, they are typically the same takes, but with one booth recording in stereo and one booth recording in mono. Occasionally, there would be minor differences that cropped up due to different edits taking place (or merely NOT taking place) on the mono version but not the stereo (or, presumably vice versa on some). For instance, see the section headed "Mono Leaves" midway down this page, from a 1957 Sinatra recording.

Matt

20. serge

serge Forum Resident

That is an acetate for the stereo version.. It just sold on ebay. I guess from it we can see that the acetate is dated..thats about it..

I'm not too familiar with acetates but I purchased this one just this past hour because I love this album.

I understand they wear out over time and sound like crap so not sure what I'm doing buying this stuff..

21. MLutthans

For some reason, Capitol decided to enlarge the "Nat 'King' Cole" text on the LP around 1959. As far as I know, it was always the "big text" version in stereo, but mono started small and switched to the larger text, probably around the time the stereo came out. The first two are gray label USA pressings; third is first-issue stereo, probably released around 1959.

Matt

Attached Files:

22. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Dude, I posted the picture for you...

23. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Serge, you bought that acetate?

Heh, it could be interesting. JUST ONE OF THOSE THINGS was mixed in stereo and cut and then rejected (as being too dynamic). It was remixed AGAIN and cut AGAIN with a bunch of compression and finally released. You might have an unissued stereo mix! Neat!

24. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Sure you may call me that, but I'm not sure anyone else would know who you're talkin' about!

If it helps it make sense, I'll try putting it a bit differently. Think of it as having one studio but two sets of microphones going to two booths each with their own recorder recording the same performances at the same time, one in stereo and one in mono. Nat's mike being split to both, the producer in the mono booth since Lee was not an amoeba. They combined the stuff into one booth sometime in 1960. Sometime not long after they recorded to stereo tape and mixed that down for mono releases. That's oversimplifying, but can you picture it from that better?

So, for Just One Of Those Things in 1957, one set of mics and one recorder is doing stereo and the other mono. Balances, mike coverage etc are slightly different as a result. Most people in 1957 hear the mono, on LPs, EPs, radio etc. The Stereo was only for the tiny, very expensive high end tape market so far. Then stereo LPs come out in '58. In '59 they got around to going back to get the stereo tape and redoing it for stereo LP. Does that explanation make sense? The SACD has both the mono and a fresh mastering from the stereo tapes. :)

That $12.95 tape would be about $100 in today's dollar. Yup, tape was very expensive and mostly for a niche market. Folks who had their own home reel to reel machines, Klipsch speakers, MacIntosh tube gear and esoteric hi-fi stuff like that.

Colecting! :angel:

Thanks for the comparison Matt - fwiw I like the 1959 lettering but the 1957 works fine too.

25. benjaminhuf

Yes, many thanks, I get it now.:cheers:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.