NAT "KING" COLE - Year by Year - Part 3

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

I've never seen this before anywhere. Is it an original photograph? Is the credit on the back handwritten?

Looks like the snippet of the image at the top is also Cole.

I tried to locate more information on Your Show of Shows appearances and I kept coming up with the one date you already mentioned.

2. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

I found the below article on the releases.

From the article:
    http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...show-made-available-for-digital-download.html

3. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Oh yes, I think it is an original photograph. It looks old, the color of the white edge, the minor creases, and the corners that are almost starting to de-laminate, if that is a word. Also the stamp on the back is for a news bureau that only existed for 4 or 5 years from its beginning in 1949. Here is the stamp on the back and a shot of one of the photographers mentioned - Don English.
    LasVegasphoto1952 (2).jpg don_english_tribute.jpg

Yes the snippet is also Cole, but it is from a collage of Cole photos in one his souvenir programs for a tour. I cropped out the photo of Your Show of Shows but I didn't know how to crop at an angle. :help:

4. dale 88

In the little PR booklet I attached above, it said Nat collects rare Victrola records.

"Nat Cole, winner of innumerable newspaper and magazine polls, is a collector of plaques, scrolls, medals, gold records, honorary citations and other mementos awarded him during the past decade. The walls of one room in his handsome Hancock Park home in Los Angeles is devoted to a display of these trophies. Cole also collects rare Victrola records and is an avid "shutterbug." He's rarely without a camera on his many jaunts across the country."

I am always skeptical of PR, but let's go with it:) so I can tie together a song from Nat's Las Vegas album, the Dorsey Brother Band, and Bing Crosby. Nat sang My Kinda Love in that album. However, Nat knew the song much earlier because he quotes it on the piano in the forties(I think it is on one of the tunes he did early on with Lester Young).

I wonder if Cole had heard this Victrola record? The Dorseys Band backed a lot of singers from Crosby to Nat King Cole and that singer who became popular in the forties -- oh yeah, Dick Haymes. Anyway I had never heard this 1929 version of My Kinda Love with the Dorsey Brothers Band and Bing Crosby. (Crosby recorded it again in 1929 with a trio including Joe Venuti and Eddie Lang, I believe.) I read that Glenn Miller arranged this band version.

I hope you can stand the video with the poster moving the camera and microphone around the room. And who is knocking on his door in the middle of it?

DorseyBrothersBand withBingCrosby1929MyKindaLove

5. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

Interesting. That may explain a picture that keeps popping up on ebay of Nat holding a camera. (Image below)

Wow, that's one bad video. The only version of this song that I had ever heard was Nat's. I had no idea know that it dated back that far. Pure speculation, of course, but you never know. Thanks for posting this.

Attached Files:

6. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Here ya' go:

NKCwSidCaesarImogeneCoca2.jpg

And if you don't mind some geometric distortion:

NKCwSidCaesarImogeneCoca3.jpg

7. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

Funny, I sent the same two images to Dale off-thread. (Is that a word?)

8. dale 88

Thank you, gents.

:shtiphat:

9. dale 88

Some more appearances on Ed Sullivan's Toast of the Town are given at sharetv.org, except for the 1951 reference from another internet source. Verification unknown.

Mar. 27, 1949 ----- Nat King Cole, Hal LeRoy, The DeMarco Sisters

May 07, 1950 ----- Nat King Cole, Anna Maria Alberghetti, Dorothy Jarmac

Nov. 5, 1950 ----- King Cole Trio, Nanette Fabray, Buster Keaton, Milton Berle

Mar. 4, 1951 ----- Season 4, Episode 25

Mar. 07, 1954 ----- Nat King Cole, Janet Blair, Hurd Hatfield, Frank Fontane

May 16, 1954 ----- Nat King Cole, Ted Lewis, David Wayne, Dick Contino

Oct. 31, 1954 ----- Grantland Rice Tribute: Nat King Cole, Bert Lahr, Art Carney, Douglas Fairbanks, Jr.

10. dale 88

Las Vegas -- Nat King Cole

Interior shot of the Copa Room at The Sands:

[​IMG]

11. dale 88

Television program:

"SPECTACULAR" A Cool Evening With Nat King Cole (1960)

[Spectacular ( 1956–1961) - a British TV series according to the IMDB page.]

Jack Parnell orchestra
    Great Britain
    60 minutes
    Black and white

USA - 9 August 1960

UK - 17 September 1960

Production: Associated Television (ATV)
    Distributors:
    Incorporated Television Company (ITC) (1960) (Non-USA) (TV)
    National Broadcasting Company (NBC) (1960) (USA) (TV)
    Video Film Express (2002) (Netherlands) (DVD)

IMDB seems to be the only listing I could find:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0472748/

I can't find any other reference to the DVD.

12. dale 88

Some other television appearances for Nat King Cole are from Brooks & Marsh book directory of television programs.

In discussing The Perry Como Show (Chesterfield) which aired on NBC from December 1948 thru June 1950 (15 minute show from Dec 1948 to Oct 1949, then 30 minutes from Oct 1949 thru June 1950), Brooks & Marsh mention "subsequent guest spots tended to be filled by singers, some headliners such as Nat King Cole, Burl Ives, Patti Page etc..." The Patti Page appearance in 1949 survives and is being sold on the web. --For at least awhile, The Perry Como Show (Chesterfield) was simulcast on radio and TV.

12/17/1955
    I Hear America Singing. 90 min. CBS
    A musical salute to America. Performers: Nat King Cole, Eddie Fisher, Red Skelton, Ella Fitzgerald, Debbie Reynolds, Bobby Van. Music: Axel Stordahl. Producer: Ken Murray. Director: Paul Harrison.

6/1/1957
    Five Stars in Springtime. Variety, 60 min., NBC.
    A musical salute to spring of 1957. Host: Bud Collyer. Guests: Nat King Cole, The Honeydreamers, Gordon MacRae, Rick Nelson, Patti Page, June Valli, Andy Williams. Music: Harry Sosnick. Producer-Director: Joseph Cates.

13. dale 88

Then there are the photos that could be pointing to TV appearances in the early fifties, but will we ever know?

Perry Como had a CBS TV show from 1950 to 1955. Here is a clipping currently for sale from 1953 mentioning a recent Cole appearance.
    [​IMG]

Here is a currently for sale 1949 photo of Dick Haymes, Nat King Cole & an unidentified singer in a chorus of something. Could it be from a TV show?
    [​IMG]

And what are June Hutton and Nat King Cole doing in this photo which appears in a Cole souvenir program in about 1951? Could they be on TV or promoting a TV program?
    [​IMG]

14. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

I think that photo probably dates from a few years after the listed date.

15. dale 88

~
    What is the rarest Nat King Cole disk?

Could it be this?

Seeing as how this has Nat King Cole et al plus Dave Tough on drums:cool:, I would give a pretty penny (if I had one) to hear this. Buddy Rich wasn't there for the rehearsal.

...from Teubig's discography

16. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

Just received the extended version of Ballads of the Day (sans Sings). Interesting that Friedwald notes that the "unmutilated" version of United appears for the first time on this disc, but they must have picked up the wrong master and put the crummy, overdubbed version on it. Good thing it's available elsewhere these days. I suppose if I had purchased this disc back in '92, I'd have been a little ticked.

BTW, if anyone wants to purchase a copy, I got mine off of Amazon for $8, mint. Much better than the $25-45 copies on ebay. Crazy.

17. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

Coleman: Where is United available. This is the only source I have, and I thought it was the original recording, even though it sounded strangely 60s to me!

18. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

It's on This is Nat King Cole - without the added rhythm section and over-the-top echo.

Take a look here.

19. dale 88

OK, never say never, but this must be the earliest TV appearance for Nat King Cole:

June 1, 1948

We the People: kinescope of first regularly-scheduled simulcast in TV history—includes Fred Allen, Nat King Cole Trio with author of "Nature Boy"—Trio performs the song) CBS-TV network to four cities (with Gulf ads) 6/1/48

“In the early days of television as radio remained the dominant medium and television looked to make its foothold, several early shows were done as simulcasts on both mediums. We, the People was the first (on June 1, 1948) followed soon thereafter by such top radio radio shows as Arthur Godfrey Time.” –from The Archive of American Television

“This simulcast situation continued through the summer of 1950" - tv.com

Life photographs that same day: with the host, Dwight Weist
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not sure of the date on this:
    [​IMG]

jtaylor likes this.
  20. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

Wonderful pix~!!!! I love that hippy dippy guy.

21. dale 88

I love the contrast shot of Nat King Cole & eden ahbez in what may be a radio-TV studio.

I found the reference to Nat's 1948 TV appearance by just doing some detective work on the internet.

Then, when I went to check the Cole biographies, none of them had the TV appearance and the Epstein book on Cole :thumbsdn: got it wrong by saying it was just a radio happening.

22. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

The review for Every Time I Feel the Spirit posted on Amazon and elsewhere mentions that two bonus tracks were taken from a super-rare Where Angels Gather LP. I can't seem to find any information on this record. Obviously, this must be a comp of some sort, but I'm curious just the same. Anybody have info on it?

23. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

I thought that picture looked familiar.

Looks like that image was taken from the same set as the below video clip. The artist card even has the Gulf logo at the top left. Unfortunately, it cuts away before ahbez finishes his bit and before the Cole performance. I'm pretty sure someone else had posted this clip a few months ago. I'd be willing to bet that the entire video exists somewhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NaWYZI2Nzo

24. dale 88

Great catch.:wave: And maybe we will get to see the Trio performance one of these days.

25. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.