National Lampoon's Vacation - being rebooted with Ed Helms and Christina Applegate

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by soundboy, Mar 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

Baba Oh Really likes this.
  2. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

Sounds good to me. I liked all the Vacation movies. Well European Vacation wasn't too great, the others weren't too bad.

3. I want them to remake it to match the original story in National Lampoon magazine, where it was Disneyland and, after Dad found that it was closed for repairs, he buys a gun and a map of the stars homes and shoots Walt Disney. It's a lot funnier than I'm making it sound. I can see Helms doing a good job if the script is anywhere near half decent, which it probably won't be.

guy incognito, Mazzy and Vidiot like this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'm in for this...

5. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

After Vegas Vacation, I'm not too optimistic that anything good will come out of any further Vacation movies.

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I actually thought "Vegas" was okay. I liked it more than "Christmas" or "European"... :shrug:

7. Jayski

Jayski Forum Resident

Someone needs to come up with a new idea. Milking an old one almost never comes out well.

Love all the Vacations..........except for European.

8. I like Christina Applegate, but this is a bad idea.

9. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

Plus, they'll probably amp up the grossness of the brother-in-law character, which was my least favorite part of the original. I guess they have a 50-50 chance with this - two of the original four were good.

10. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Forum Resident

I actually expect this one to be way, way toned-down from the original, which is really kinda dark and/or mean-spirited in a lot of its gags (which is why I love it). I have a feeling we're in for a much dumber PG family comedy this time around.

11. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

Bad idea, and the addition of Applegate to the cast worsens it. I've always viewed her as a cinematic kiss of death, someone whose presence in a film dooms it to either be terrible or fail financially.

12. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

The quality of any of the past films is irrelevant. This is a reboot being done by a totally new creative team...that's like saying you weren't holding out much hope for JJ Abrams Star Trek film because you didn't like "Star Trek: Nemesis".

subzro likes this.
  13. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

Well, I wasn't.....

14. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

JJ Abrams is directing this? OK, I am in...

15. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Ed Helms is not marquee material.

midniteinsanjuan likes this.
  16. Thermionic Dude

Thermionic Dude Forum Resident

I don't know what to think, so by default I guess I'm slightly optimistic. If they don't water things down too much (lots of VERY non-PC stuff in the original films!) and if Applegate remembers she's acting for the big screen instead of a sitcom, this might turn out to be very worthwhile. Abrams being involved is also reason for hope.

17. ReadySteady

ReadySteady Custom Title

Vegas Vacation was a bore... wish they would've stopped with Christmas Vacation. However, I hope this new one is good. It's not really a reboot though, seeing as how it's Rusty all grown up and with a family now.

18. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

sloaches likes this.
  19. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Ed who?

20. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Yeah...that's why they are re-booting the series, so they can get closer to the source material. :rolleyes:

21. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Too bad they couldn't get Edd Kookie Byrnes and his daughter Amanda Byrnes to do it, as they originally intended.

22. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I ran into Ed at Gelson's in Pasadena yesterday. Not as tall as I expected. No glasses. End transmission.

23. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I'm in. I liked all of them except for European..

Christina was good in Ron Burgundy.

heatherly likes this.
  24. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

Yes. Vegas is my favorite out of all of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.