National Lampoon's Vacation - being rebooted with Ed Helms and Christina Applegate

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by soundboy, Mar 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

there is an interesting tie in to the tv show Bones for anyone who is a fan of that show. I was reading an article with John Francis Daley who played the character Sweets on Bones who said he had requested time off to direct this movie. Instead they just wrote him off the show completely which was a real shame imho.

2. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

So here's the trailer...looks like it could be decent, but can't really tell.

3. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

I actually laugjed a few times. Really wished Anthony Michael Hall was playing Rusty but I get the whole star power thing.

musicfan37 and Holy Diver like this.
  4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Anthony Michael Hall has star power?

Just kidding. Big fan.

5. drmaynard

drmaynard Well-Known Member

I think he means that Helms has it and Hall doesn't.

6. dirwuf

7. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

Looks like a run-of-the-mill modern mean-spirited gross-out comedy. Too bad.

Mark Nelson likes this.
  8. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

When is a reboot ever a good idea?

Mark Nelson likes this.
  9. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It's not like the original film was an example of sophisticated intellectual humor.

10. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

Very true.

But was the original a cookie-cutter product similar to hundreds of other comedies that had come out in the previous five years? I honestly don't know.

And I'm also going solely by the trailer. But the reboot just doesn't look appealing to me.

11. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Technically, it's not a reboot, it's a sequel. And since it's part of a film franchise that has already produced multiple sequels, doing another hardly damages the integrity of the original at this point.

I don't think the original film was hailed for its originality. It was a lowbrow slapstick comedy, and (based on the preview) this new sequel seems to go for the exact same tone.

DLant likes this.
  12. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It's a Vacation film tradition to recast Rusty. Ed Helm is now the fourth actor to portray the character.

13. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

Fifth.

14. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Swimming in poo-poo and pee-pee is funny.

15. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

the horrible thing is there probably won't be much Chevy in it ! too bad the original people allowed this to version to happen! so the big question has to be asked will Ed Helm be the new Fletch?

16. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I thought the original film ran out of gas l-o-n-g before the end. I would never go see this in the theater, might watch it for free on Netflix at some point.

17. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

I think having Chase and D'Angelo in this is solely to try to legitimize it in the eyes of fans, and counter the
    (seemingly correct) impression that this is really just a remake of the original.

18. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

To me, the funniest character in the vacation movies was Cousin Eddie:

Clark: "Eddie!!? I cant believe you're here....

Eddie: "I'm excited about it too, Clark"

This was funny stuff.

I wish they got Randy Quaid to play Eddie again, that would have been funny.

19. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Aside from making bizarre ranting videos on youtube, Randy Quaid will likely never work again.

20. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Yep, this new reboot was mostly just gross-out humor. A couple funny scenes, but not enough. The mean younger brother was very unsettling and in bad taste. The cameos by Chase and D'Angelo were horrible. Unfunny. D'Angelo looks like Darryl Hannah now with her botched plastic surgery, and Chase seems to have gained 100 lbs. When did he become obese? Bummer.

21. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Yes the whole movie is garbage like most things now!!

22. dirwuf

It was better than I expected...many hits and many misses, just like all the Vacation films. I thought Chevy was actually pretty funny, despite his appearance (rumor has it that he is taking a steroid-based drug for an ailment, which causes weight gain...like Jerry Lewis went thru a decade ago).

23. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

The best thing is the Christie Brinkley Infiniti commercial....

24. inperson

inperson Senior Member

ed helms :thumbsdow

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.