National Recording Registry annouces its first 50 inductees

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tim_neely, Jan 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Evidently this is a new thing, which was authorized by Congress in 2000. It intends to do for sound recordings what the National Film Registry does for films -- attempt to preserve them for posterity.

http://www.loc.gov/rr/record/nrpb/nrpb-2002reg.html

2. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

What, Rupert Holmes's "Pina Colada Song" didn't merit inclusion? :realmad:

3. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

Boy, that WWOZ stuff is great!

That was a pleasant surprise.

4. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Great list, but I am very surprised that Robert Johnson's recordings are not listed. I believe these are as ground breaking and influential as Elvis Presley's Sun Sessions.

5. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Can't argue with those choices, except at the very end: a tad too PC to include "The Message" at the exclusion of a lot of other music. More to come, of course, but I don't get that last entry at all. Makes you wonder what kind of oddball choices will come next. Besides, "Rapper's Delight" was the key linchpin to an entire movement, if not the pinnacle.

ED:cool:

6. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

I imagine they'll be considered in the future. Much as the National Film Registry continues to add films, I'm sure that other recordings will be added in future years...

You could make a case for the recorded works of Charley Patton as well; also, the discs by the Dinwiddie Colored Quartet, the first black vocal group to appear on records. And certainly for "Rapper's Delight." A Love Supreme by John Coltrane. Some Hank Williams. So many others that fit the criteria...

7. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

Are there any early Marconi radio recordings. I am surprised they didn't make it in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.