Natural & relaxed cartridge?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by audiorocks, May 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hesson11

hesson11 Forum Resident

Not to run this into the ground, but I hope anyone who is truly seeking information takes this as only an opinion, as ArdenHiFi is rightfully clear to point out. My own opinion is directly contradictory to this. There are people who would support both opinions, though I must admit I can't conceive of why or how.
    -Bob

2. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

If you want a relaxed cartridge...treat it well, give it a spot near a window and make sure it has plenty of rest!

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

"Natural" and "relaxed."

You can have one or the other but not both. A natural cart will be neutral, nowhere near relaxed.

4. The Seeker

The Seeker Forum Resident

Probably what the OP means is that he's seeking natural-ish, organic sounding tonality with a relaxed character that is toward the forgiving side of neutral. At least that's how I interpreted it.

audiorocks likes this.
  5. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, but building that sound into your system is not really a good idea. What happens when you play an album that already sounds natural-ish, organic and relaxed? It will just disappear...

FLEMKE and Ash76 like this.
  6. I don't dare to guess what you mean exactly with "relaxed", but for "natural", I think Nagaoka cartridges fit that tag extremely well. Of course, the higher you get, the better. But still, Nagaoka's sonic signature (to me) is an overall balanced frequency response that doesn't favor lows and highs over mid frequencies, as many "hi-fi" cartridges seem to do. Here's a comparison between the Nagaoka MP-110 (almost bottom of the Nagaoka line) and the MP-500 (top of the line):

Tore Pedersen and kazu like this.
  7. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

And your heavy metal will morph into MOR easy listening

8. The Seeker

I know what you mean. The perfect solution, perhaps, is to have two tonearms or two cartridges in different headshells: one for the smooth, nice sounding lps and one for the '60s UK pressings and early Merle Haggard lps.

9. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member

....and two sets of speakers, or three.

The Seeker likes this.
  10. The Seeker

Absolutely!

11. audiorocks

audiorocks Forum Resident Thread Starter

Good point. I'm going to say "organic and relaxed" from now on. I don't want "natural" to be mistaken for "neutral".

It will lose something for sure. But I'd rather relax into that sound than end up with fatigue.

The Seeker likes this.
  12. Steve Hoffman

Makes sense.

The Seeker likes this.
  13. plexi0

plexi0 Well-Known Member

By relaxed, I think the OP maybe means not overly analytic or over detailed. a lot of hifi extremists cannot imagine how something could be over detailed since they think detail is King! Well I say there is such a thing as too much of a good thing and there's a point when added detail comes at the cost of rich midrange and then a sound becomes both unatural and non relaxed. I would also say this happens with other aspects like bass, or 'air' or dynamics. There is such a thing as over dynamic believe it or not, or too airy, just as there is too closed sounding or too flat. It's all about balance and natural sound. And when you have these qualities, you have a semi relaxed sound. Not relaxed in an artificial or overdone way, but relaxed because natural sound is relaxing. Unless the record is a digital sound or othewise annoyingly recorded sound, then of course you should expect a good stereo to reproduce that annoying sound.

Natural carts are many of the shures (95ed, V15), the stanton 681/881, and the grado's. I disagree with some of the suggestions like the denon 110 for example.

And I sort of understand how natural and relaxed are not possible together, but I also understand how they can exist together to a certain extent. In this sense, the grado's are both natural and relaxed (if a bit unrefined and not reference) whereas the shure is more reference but not overly relaxed. I still find myself using a low end grado because it just sounds so good even with IGD. Why the entire internet poo poo's the low end grado is only making them less expensive for music lovers to snap them up on ebay for a song. thanks!

14. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

A good compromise between natural v relaxed sound is the AT33EV. Also consider the Dynavector 20XL.

Paul K likes this.
  15. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I'm breaking in a Denon DL-110. It has that broadcast/Denon sound, and feels a little slow compared to the ATs. Lower compliance, I suppose. Less attack and transient power. Gives my very fast, lean system a little resonance and heft. Imaging is softer, less precise, but the soundsage is larger if less focused.

16. FLEMKE

FLEMKE Senior Member

Agree. I like the whole system to sound natural and relaxed. Lot's of material that is kind of harsh out there.
    Tim

17. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

Or to paraphrase (non-Grado) Woody: if you get too mellow, you'll just rot and fall off the vine. . .

18. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

I like the AT33PTG/ll as well for this!

19. Ron P.

Ron P. Forum Resident

Horrible sibilance with my Grado Reference Sonata 1. Thought perhaps it went "bad" on me, traded in/up for Grado Reference Sonata V2 and same. Reset and realigned everything again and again. Thought it was failing Moon LP-3, sent it back to Simaudio....bought Rega Aria phono stage ...sibilance remains......now getting Rega Exact cartridge for called their US importer and he said that the Exact does have a nice synergy with the well regarded Aria. VPI Scout / JMW memorial arm not compatible with these Grados??? I will know in a few days.

Any help?

20. Ron P.

Ron P. Forum Resident

Yes, horrible sibilance in Reference Sonata 1 AND Reference Sonata v2. Perhaps tonearm wire in VPI Scout not compatible with moving iron???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.