NBC **color** network slides - 1950s edition!!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Joel Cairo, Jun 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff Thread Starter

As many of you know, I have a "thing" about classic TV-- I love it. Not least because there are a lot of aspects to acquiring, preserving, and (hopefully) restoring classic programming.

One of the odd things that I collect are among the most ephemeral items involved in classic TV broadcasts-- network slides. Those if you who are my age or older will recall that that "coming up next" notices weren't as sophisticated as they are today-- nowadays, you get film clips from the shows, especially edited for today's rapid-fire attention spans.

In the mid-50s, though, since a lot of programs were still broadcast live, there were no available clips of the upcoming show-- because it hadn't been performed yet! What you would get instead was one or two slides of the star of the upcoming show, or maybe a shot of the guest star (if they were particularly notable) along with the name of the upcoming show, all narrated by the stentorian tones of a network staff announcer.

When you stop and think about it, these graphics were often one-use only slides, since shows weren't often re-run. The fact that any at all survive, is a bit of a miracle. And of course, they were used by the hundreds each week, and then presumably disposed of, once the program they were advertising had aired.

While I've been fortunate enough to have unearthed a few delightful sets of slides from the 1950s, as you might guess, they're almost always black and white-- because that was the way things were broadcast by most of the networks at that time.

However, beginning in 1954, NBC started a revolution, by airing compatible color programming. And of course, this meant that the network graphics had to follow suit. So the films chains and the slide projectors also began reflecting the change. Although more flashy, though, these materials had the same shelf life as their monochrome cousins-- once that particular show was over, out they went. Mostly into the trash bins.

Miraculously, though, a few have survived the 60+ years since their broadcast use. Many are badly faded, since Ektachrome was apparently the film of choice for the high-turnover graphics departments, but they're not unsalvagable.

So if by some chance you were in the .001% of houses with a color TV in 1955-1956 (I'm talking to you, Mr. & Mrs. Sarnoff!), you might have seen some of these flash by as your favorite programs were ending. Hope these are a welcome bit of nostalgia...

- Kevin

Telops - small - Page 1.jpg

2. Arliss Renwick

Arliss Renwick Forum Resident

So cool! You’re right; these things are rarer than hen’s teeth. Glad they’ve wound up with someone who appreciates them!

longdist01 and Joel1963 like this.
  3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Kevin, you should talk to Bobby at Eyes of a Generation -- guaranteed he would like to host these as online images.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I had one. The Jerry Lewis Show, coming up next. Lost it though.

5. Joel Cairo

A few more...!

Telops - small - Page 2c.jpg

- Kevin

6. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Those are marvelous!

longdist01 and Strat-Mangler like this.
  7. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I've still got some television station slides that were discarded during my college internship*. This was from the late '70s, and some were pretty sharp, considering the small-town market they were serving. Some CBS Network show slides as well.
    Not nearly as pretty as those, though!

(*first day of internship, standing in the Control Room as Dinah Shore is wrapping-up, getting ready to go from tape to net feed. As she's going down the couch thanking her guests, she stops at John Travolta and says, "...and you have a movie coming up soon?" "Yes, ma'am...it's called Saturday Night, and it's coming out next Thursday....")

8. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

Wow! And its surprising the black and white programs included here were promoed with color slides.

9. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I once asked my wife's uncle, who worked at WGN-TV Chicago, if he could get me any old station ID slides. He questioned why in the world I wanted such a thing, but got me a few anyway. Here's the WGN logo. I'm guessing it was the 60s, maybe early 70s version?

[​IMG]

10. Joel Cairo

Hey, here's a few more... with one B&W syndie slide that I hope you'll forgive, but it was too good not to share...

Telops - small - Page 2b.jpg

- Kevin

11. Joel Cairo

Just bumping this...

- Kevin

12. Steve Hoffman

Kev,
    What was Manhattan Tower? I know the Gordon Jenkins music but was this a TV series? Local?

13. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    longdist01 likes this.
  14. Joel Cairo

And there's the answer... Thanks!

- Kevin

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

thanks....missed it the first time...cool stuff.

16. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thank Kevin for sharing these beautiful slides here!

Joel1963 likes this.
  17. Joel Cairo

My pleasure... hope I can find a few more in the future!

- Kevin

Joel1963 likes this.
  18. Steve Hoffman

Was that Manhattan Tower preserved?

Joel1963 likes this.
  19. Joel Cairo

It was apparently considered to be lost for quite some time, but at least the second half of the show's kinescope has been discovered to be in the collection of the Library of Congress.

- Kevin

Joel1963 and Steve Hoffman like this.
  20. Steve Hoffman

Ironic that the slide was preserved..

Joel1963 likes this.
  21. Joel Cairo

Yeah-- but if they found half of the show at the LOC, there's a decent chance that the other half is there too, just un-catalogued.

NBC apparently off-loaded an enormous amount of material to the LOC (likely as a tax write-off), and last I heard, the Library staff still didn't have much hope of actually listing everything that they received.

- Kevin

Joel1963 likes this.
  22. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

It's interesting what was kept and what was discarded from that era. The BBC was meticulous about holding onto production paperwork for decades after a show aired, but they were quite happy to destroy the videotapes and films of the show itself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.