Nearfield Listening with B&W Towers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by aarodynamic, Aug 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aarodynamic

aarodynamic Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have an extra pair of B&W CM8 towers from a previous home theater configuration that I'm trying to decide how to best utilize (or sell)...

I have a small sitting room in my house where I currently have a pair of CM1 S2 bookshelf speakers on stands and I'm wondering if my spare CM8 towers would be appropriate to replace them with.

My concern is that the seating position is only about 4-feet from the speakers. Is 4-feet too close for the CM8s and would I be better off keeping the CM1s there?

Thanks.

2. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

Sounds a little close. But try it. I had towers in a smallish room in the past. It was ok but the bass could be a bit much.

3. BrilliantBob

BrilliantBob Select, process, CTRL+c, CTRL+z, ALT+v

I have only 4 feet too from my each floor standing speakers and between speakers. And the subwoofer at 6.5 feet in the middle. Good synergy, great bass but I use them only at max volume 35-40% (70 dB average with 85 dB maximum). My ears are the most valuable part of my audio system.

aarodynamic likes this.
  4. aarodynamic

aarodynamic Well-Known Member Thread Starter

You've both convinced me... I'm going to give it a try. Thanks!

My main concern is/was whether the drivers are spaced too far apart in a tower speaker for near-field listening. If they're not then I'd imagine the CM8 will give me a better mid-range and substantially improved low-end bass.

I'm all ears though if anyone else has feedback/experience with this.

5. BrilliantBob

BrilliantBob Select, process, CTRL+c, CTRL+z, ALT+v

I have 5 drivers for each 2.13 feet height column of my stereo floor standing speakers. The horizontal line from my ears to the speakers is between the mid driver and the big tweeter. The 6.5" subwoofer in the middle outputs strong and clear signals from 30 Hz.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    aarodynamic likes this.
  6. Hipper

Hipper Forum Resident

It's a question of the drivers integrating. I have full range floorstanders that are five feet (1.5m) away from my ears and they work well.

You could ask B&W what the minimum listening distance is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.