Need 12AX7 Tube Recommendation

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TommyTunes, Sep 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member Thread Starter

I have the Fosgate Signature Headphone amp and I've been thinking of swapping the stock 12AX7's for a premium tubes. I was never a person that used anything but manufacturer's supplied tubes but since I swapped the 6922 that came in my CJ preamp for a Telefunken Platinum tube and heard a big difference, I've rethought my position.
    I've had the Fosgate for a year now and finally found a use for it so I'd like to try substituting the stock tubes with something better. Can anyone recommend some good sounding tubes? I'd like to keep the price to $100 or less per tube. Thanks

2. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Nielsoe, Bill and F1nut like this.
  3. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I like the sound of the Gold Lions in some of my stuff and the JJ's in other stuff. I think these two are great representatives of tubes that both sound great, but a bit different. 12AX7's are not terribly pricey so you can experiment a bit!

Upinsmoke likes this.
  4. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I like Genalex Gold Lion reissues for a new tube and the RCA black plates for a vintage tube.

whaleyboy likes this.
  5. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

Amperex bugle boy/ delta code fan here. Very detail sound. Look for Hammond branded tubes. Get it cheaper than the cartoon labeled amperexes. Also Tung sol 5751's are a nice treat.

6. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

The usual suspects for 12 AX7s are Amperex, Mullard, Telefunken and GE Longplates. The only current/recent production 12AX7 tube that I find even remotely in the ballpark is the Sovtek LPS. However the Sovtek LPS should be cherrypicked for low noise.

7. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

The Genalex reissues are very good. They have a similar sonic signature to the Sovtek LPS, except for that the sound is significantly more refined.

8. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

I've got a trio of NOS GE 6681s listed in Classifieds. The 6681 is a 12AX7 designed for use in mobile communications/industrial gear, has a ruggedized filament, made to withstand frequent on/off cycles - for not much more than current production, you can try out some quality U.S.A. tubes from the Golden Age of production... :wave:

Paul K likes this.
  9. TommyTunes

Thanks for the input, with a couple of you mentioning the Genalex Gold Lion's, I just ordered a pair. Thanks!

10. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

So, what are the stock 12AX7's then?

jeff

11. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Take it from most here they have nailed it for good tubes. I replaced my cheepo Chinese tubes with NOS Medical grade Amperex-1960 , Long Plate Mullard- 1956, and Telefunken smoothplates- circa 1959-61.
    The conventional versions of these tubes which are Amperex 12ax7, Mullard I61 12ax7, and Telefunken smoothplate 12ax7 are border line 100 dollars give or take. Medical grade, Longplate (exception Telefunken) Mullards are the more expensive, anywhere from 150 -400 dollars, whoa!
    Have fun learn alittle if you are a novice and find a reputable dealer with return gaurantee. Take care, John M.

12. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

What do they go in?

13. Abbagold

Also...RCA gray plates sound pretty good. Has the orange writing on them and has the "A" at the end. A sleeper of a tube, but has a really good sound. If you come across some NOS, jump on them.

14. Abbagold

Stay away from sylvania and GE. Nasty little fu€kers.

15. TommyTunes

Fosgate headphone amp

16. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

Mulllard 10M or older square getter 12AX7's.
    The 10M's are rare and costly but they're out there.
    Older smooth plate Telefunken.
    Or 1955 RCA NOS from Brent Jessee, beautifully balanced and matched $99 each.
    Sophias are worth a try as well.
    Some people like Raytheon.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  17. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

That depends on many factors including what you are putting them in, and the sound you are trying to achieve, and your personal preferences. The fact is that some tubes which sound lousy in certain pieces of equipment can sound heavenly in others. There is no one best tube.

18. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

I think your going to quite enjoy them. I swapped in 4 gold lions into my Rogue Ares and was quite happy from the first minute they were in. Even had a slight improvement after getting some hours on them.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  19. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I love the JJ's in the Rogue Cronos Magnum, but Like the Gold Lions in my ProJect Tubebox and SP16. IF I don't sell the SP16, I may try the JJ's in it just for grins. I think I like them both better than the EH that came from ARC.

20. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

The old joke that I heard was GE = Garbage Enclosed. Of course its not 100% true - I've heard some good GE tubes but the 12AX7s I'be heard are not among my favorite.

Of course tube rolling likes depends on your own personal listening habits. I, for example, really like the "caramel" qualities of the long-plate and even the short-plate Mullards. Telefunken really works in certain types of gear too - it was great in the linestage of my Quicksilver, helping to give a little more energy.

Also be on the lookout for Rogers (usually made in Canada) tubes. And I'm also a big fan of Amperex.

Personally I've never heard a new production tube that can come close to the best of the vintage stuff but, as usual, YMMV. When I plugged in new "Gold Lions" in my system, I really liked them - at first. And then I went back to vintage Mullards and realized the GL's sounded a little more forward/edgy and two-dimensional. Their sound, however, could work in some stereos.

21. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

NOS Ei tubes can be had for more reasonable prices.

22. Abbagold

I've had mixed results withe Ei. Seems like they went south on me faster than a TFK eVer did. Maybe had a bad run of luck.

23. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Interesting to know. I believe mine were from the late ’60s. Came from Brent Jessie and I paid to get them very well matched. Maybe I'll have a good run.

24. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

One of the best pairs of 12AX7 varients I have are Sylvania 5751 Triple Mica,Black Plate, [] Getter. NOT cheap, but a great tube.

25. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Actually black plate Sylvania D-getters are pretty much my go-to 12ax7. They always sound great in every context -- from guitar amps to hifi. Extended at the frequency extremes, very dynamic, just a great, balanced sounding tube. But I'd love it if everyone else stayed away from them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.