Need '70s/80s country music film recommendations

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by audio, Jan 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audio

audio New Member Thread Starter

I love cocaine fueled, low budget country music films or films with a hell of a twangy soundtrack from the '70s and '80s such as "Outlaw Blues", "Honky Tonk Man", "Honeysuckle Rose", "Urban Cowboy", "Breaker Breaker",......I'm gonna rent "Songwriter" tonight. What else should I consider watching? The stranger, the better. Think Bakersfield, drugs, cowboys, honky tonks, tumbleweeds, car chases, nude scenes, fights, guitars,....that kind of stuff.

2. Brian Cruz

Brian Cruz Forum Resident

With one of the most disturbing fight scenes of Mick Jagger boxing. Ned Kelly, soundtrack courtesy of Waylon himself.

3. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Would Nashville be too "artsy" for such company? Or Coal Miner's Daughter?

4. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Coal Miner's Daughter is essential viewing, the same with Sweet Dreams.

5. audio

audio New Member Thread Starter

Cool! Thanks, guys. Keep 'em coming!!

6. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

"Artsy" or no, Nashville is a definite must-see. Altman's masterpiece, and one of the finest films of the '70s.

7. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

What about Heartbreak Hotel (the Clint Eastwood movie) wasn't that a country movie or am I thinking of something else.

8. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Jonathan Demme's Citizens Band

9. jdrueke

jdrueke Handsome Man

The Electric Cowboy?

10. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

If you can find it, BOBBY JOE AND THE OUTLAW sound like it fits your description. You get to see Wonder Woman naked while Bobby Bare sings "City Lights"

11. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The country music movie that Clint starred in is Honkytonk Man. Pink Cadillac also has a great country music soundtrack.

12. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Great movie! I've got that one of VHS.

When's the DVD coming out? :D

Wonder Woman nude, yowzer!!

13. Brian Cruz

Brian Cruz Forum Resident

I just remembered a movie, more of a glimpse of an era and genre, but I rented Heartworn Highway a few weeks ago. It's a documentary on texas singer-songwriters Guy Clark, Townes Van Zandt, Rodney Crowell, Steve Earle...made in 1975. They are all young(er) and they were all pretty much unknown at the time. It's mostly made up of intimate performances and theirs a scene of a all night drunken jam at a kitchen table.

14. Casemeister

Casemeister Forum Resident

If you can get your hands on it, "Mackintosh And TJ" (Roy Rogers' last feature film, if I'm not mistaken) is good. Waylon does the soundtrack, and there's a Willie Nelson song on there too ("Stay All Night, Stay A Little Longer"). If you're a Waylon fan, particularly, it's cool, because he does alternate versions of his songs ("Ride Me Down Easy," "Bob Wills Is Still The King," maybe one or two more) and a cool song, "All Around Cowboy," only in the movie and on its soundtrack.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.