Need a budget CD player...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Rockos, Jun 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. randy9700

randy9700 Indian MC Rider!

The Onkyo C-7030 is a steal of a deal. Not a ton of bells and whistles but this is a solidly built spinner that is more than adequate for everyday listening. The remote is bare bones but functional. There is no text support, HDCD decoding or USB inputs for i-devices or flac but it does what a good CD player should do, play CD's accurately and with a pretty decent Wolfson DAC for a low cost CDP. There are a number of threads about this unit including: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...-dac-dedicated-cd-player-onkyo-c-7030.365660/
    That said there are some threads about a skipping issue as well so a search would be wise but as everything goes YMMV. I can only speak to my experience with my 7030 which I use in my office. It has played faithfully and flawlessly since I took it out of the box. I did do the 'break-in' of having a disc play on repeat for 24 hours. honestly I am not a huge believer in 'breaking in' digital products but I figured it would not hurt and maybe any defects might show up right away so what the heck.

GuildX700 and Brother_Rael like this.
  2. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident

3. randy9700

randy9700 Indian MC Rider!

Well, There was a frenzy a few months back where many on the forum bought them when Amazon had them for $139 forever. Now they are $169 so this price is attractive for an essentially new unit. http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...nkyo-c-7030-compact-single-disc-player/1.html
    Last unit here for $149 refurbished with free shipping but has a 1 year warranty. Any way you look at it this is still a decent player for a reasonable price with a fairly up to date DAC to make your old CeeDee's sound a ton better than an old player with a dated DAC or playing them through a DVD player which is what I was doing in my garage during the summer months.

4. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

5. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

6. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Did you read the description? "Open box item. Store return. Remote back missing."

Likely why it's still there.

7. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

It IS missing the back of the remote...

8. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident

Yes not a deal breaker for me but why bid up to $130 plus shipping for a used one (which I've been watching), when this is $119. I just thought it would be gone by now. If it is you'll know it was me!

9. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Go for it! I hope you win it, and that it's in perfect shape. :righton:

EDIT: Actually, I just read this under the return policy - "Seller does not offer returns. You are covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee if you received an item that is not as described in the listing."

Tread lightly, in my opinion.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
    Jasonb likes this.
  10. Eric B.

Eric B. Active Member

An oppo 970 or 980 would get you there for about 75$ used,, i got both and love the analog rca outs.

mdm08033 likes this.
  11. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

What is your budget?
    I've got the NAD C542 which also does HDCD putting up for sale soon.
    I don't think I can say any more - or even that - due to forum rules.
    Except that it's probably in your budget.
    It keeps going and going and going.
    Never a hiccup. And sounds a lot better than thrift shop cheapo cd players by a country mile.

timind likes this.
  12. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I don't think there's anything to worry about here. It doesn't matter if the seller says they absolutely take no returns under any circumstance, once email to ebay customer service and that's that.

Jasonb likes this.
  13. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I recently got a first generation Sony Blu-Ray player at a thrift store for $20. Takes forever to load but sounds great.

14. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I can imagine. Any time Sony sets out to win a format war, watch out. I still think the $199 SACD changer they made at the dawn of SACD was one of the best sounding SACD players I've ever owned.

Robin L likes this.
  15. Rockos

Rockos Forum Resident Thread Starter

$100 or so.

16. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

17. Mark broadhead

Mark broadhead Forum Resident

Players with the TDA 1541 or 1543. The Marantz cd 5000 ( 1543 ) has bugger all in it but sounds amazing, i tried recently just out of curiosity in place of Lampizator DAC. Normally most players suffer badly in comparison, but not this one ! Very cheap in the UK.

18. donluca

donluca Active Member

Brother_Rael and beowulf like this.
  19. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

What model are you referring to? The Sony SACD changer made at the "dawn of SACD" was the SCD-C333ES and it was originally $599, but they lowered the price some 12 months later to $399 when they discontinued the unit. I bought one from The Good Guys and still have it.

Perhaps your dawn was more mid-morning. ;)

20. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Possibly. I believe its the SCD-CE595, which I would have gotten in mid 2001 or so. Turns out I was $50 off, it was only $149! I guess Sony decided the early adopter wave was over and it was time to flood the market. It wouldn't surprise me if it was either profit-neutral or a loss leader just to get SACD into homes.

21. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I remember that one vaguely - it may have been their first model outside the ES range.

22. FastForward

FastForward Forum Resident

Have you looked at our very own equipment for sale area? I would imagine you could get a decent former high-end unit that is capable of playing CDs, SACDs, DVDs, etc all in one for your system at half your budget or less.

23. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

If all you want is CD only playback, the Onkyo C7030 has got to be one of your top choices. Watch it as the price varies. I got mine for under $140. You will also have VERY good headphone listening with that player if that matters.

jriems likes this.
  24. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Yup. Get one of the SCPH-1001 (US) / 1002 (UK & Europe) /1003 (Asia) models with the RCA phono outs on the back and be prepared to be surprised. Got mine out for a wee spin the other day, plugged in my Atlas Navigator cables (at £220-odd, they're about £70 more expensive than I think the original PS1 was when it came out!) and currently listening to Houses of the Holy. And really rather impressed too. The acoustic beginning to The Rain Song sounds way better than many an audiophile would want to give it any credit for.

beowulf likes this.
  25. cjc

cjc Senior Member

Check out the various Teac models.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.