Need a Dac recommendation

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by everton, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. everton

everton Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'd like to get some recommendations on a Dac (either stand-alone or part of a CD player where the Dac section can be accessed). I like clear and transparent sound. I don't want a Dac that will give me warm/tubey/sweet/analog sound. Currently I have a Cambridge Audio DacMagic (not the Plus). I like its tonal balance although the highs can sometimes sound artificial. I'd appreciate your suggestion. The price range that I have in mind is below $1,500 (Obviously the cheaper, the better). Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  2. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

What inputs are you looking for? USB? S/PDIF? I²S?

3. weirdo12

weirdo12 Forum Resident

4. everton

S/PDIF, please. Thanks.

5. everton

Thanks. I have to admit that I have never heard of this brand before. I will follow the links that you gave.

6. everton

By the way, I should add that the source will be redbook CDs (not hi-res)

7. weirdo12

weirdo12 Forum Resident

Read the reviews and try to find a dealer if you can. If you you are using S/PDIF the HD will be fine.

8. weirdo12

weirdo12 Forum Resident

The Qute excels at Redbook as confirmed by both reviews.

9. everton

Thanks. I noticed that you're in Toronto. Do you know if there's a dealer nearby?

10. gloomrider

There is no shortage of fans of Chord gear. If you can find a Qute in your price range, I'd say you're done.

11. weirdo12

weirdo12 Forum Resident

http://www.executivestereo.com/

Just south of the 401 on Avenue Rd.

12. everton

13. weirdo12

weirdo12 Forum Resident

I think if you read the reviews it's exactly what you're looking for.

14. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

You might also be surprised how good some old dacs sound with redbook. The MSB link dac III still sounds pretty nice to me for example. There are plenty of other vintage dacs that can also be had for a song. Worth checking IMO esp. if you are just playing CDs. You can get the new one too.

15. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I need a DAC as well. Price range $150 - $200. USB or tos/link optical.

I'm willing to wait til next Christmas or just after sales.

16. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

This is just over your budget ($1600), but would set you up for expansion into Hi-Rez, and is highly flexible:

http://mytekdigital.com/hifi

17. gloomrider

USB only, but the iFi iDSD is in your budget and it's a really nice little unit. Sounds really good for the price!

18. MikeP

MikeP Member

Another vote for the QuteHD. Best audio move I've made in a long, long time. Just amazing (IMHO) with redbook. If you think you might eventually do HR and/or DSD, might be worth investing the extra bucks for the EX, though the HD does DSD. Just not as good as the EX via USB. If you're already doing S/PDIF, then the HD should do just fine for HR/DSD if you ever go there.

Cheers,
    Mike

19. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

The DACMagic I found sterile, too clinical in the highs and it went back within a fortnight. Check out Firestone Audio's site, if they're still going. I had their Spitfire II DAC a couple or three years ago and was very impressed with it. Doesn't look much and compared to some of the offboard DACs out there just now, it's as basic as they come - a tiny box, three inputs, one each from optical, coax and USB, 24/96 - but did a sterling job. Nicely clear, zero harshness and kicked the Cambridge box into the long grass. You'll get one for about £150 used now I'd guess.

Teac's new(ish) UD-01 has to be up there. I had the predecessor for a while last year and it was terrific too, very even sound, didn't add anything. I tend to believe that most DACs aren't going to be massively different these days. Try a few out if you can (or can be bothered, it's a faff for me) and then decide, but the UD-01 has a killer spec and does DSD as well.

Good review on the Spitfire II here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/firestone-audio-spitfire-mk2/reviews/7420#comments-title

...and one for the Teac: http://www.audiostream.com/content/teac-ud-501-dual-monarual-pcmdsd-usb-digital-analog-converter

20. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

I can't recommend my Audiolab M-Dac highly enough - it's now my main
    source into my Prima Luna

Listening via HD600s now (1 am here) - In Utereo MFSL - fabulous sound.

21. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I owned two Schiit Bifrosts and thought they were very good.

22. ElvisCaprice

ElvisCaprice Forum Resident

If it was me, spending $1800 for the Qute, I would rather go all the way, $2400, for the Hugo. But that's my thinking.

23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

My problem is that I'm going to have to buy three units because I want six channels (or 5.1) coming out of a music server. I have no choice but to wait until prices drop a bit more

24. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

There will soon be more than a few (I predict) used PS Audio Mk II DACs for sale possibly in your price range. I'd highly recommend this for Redbook playback, surprisingly good.

25. gloomrider

This is really interesting. How are you going to split the 5.1 into three stereo digital bit streams? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.