Need advice on a cart and stylus

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Gibson67, Mar 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gibson67

Gibson67 Life is a Magical Mystery Tour enjoy the ride Thread Starter

Hi all

I've just returned to vinyl listening a few months back and bought a Dual CS 505-2 just to get me started again. I'm happy with the TT, sure it's getting on a bit age wise but it's in great shape condition wise.

I obviously have no idea how long the current cart & stylus have been on? Is it general common practice to change these? Or if it's sounding ok then leave it? What would be a decent cart & stylus for my TT should I decide to buy new?

Nige

2. Nate

Nate Forum Resident

A cartridge can last a very long time. A stylus is another issue.

Your tone arm is low mass. Something like a Shure M 97xe could be a good choice

3. russk

russk Forum Resident

The Shure is a good way to go because you can upgrade to a Jico Stylus. If you want something to throw on and forget about grab an Ortofon 2m Blue. Great sounding cartridge and zero fuss.

4. Sean Sandoval

Sean Sandoval Senior Member

Another alternative is to change the stylus to an older OM20. It's equivalent to the Ortofon 2M Blue in SQ.

5. starbuck

starbuck Forum Resident

Dual used to supply their own branded version of the Ortofon OM range of cartridges, so I would expect the OM20 already mentioned to be a good match, as would the other OM cartridges too. They are not too pricey and can sound very nice, the further up the range you go (represented by the higher number) the better the stylus profile and sound quality.

6. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

What cart did your Dual come with ? Maybe you don't need to upgrade. Don't risk your records playing them with a stylus you don't know how worn it may be. Get a new one asap.

The carts recommended above are all good choices but of course it will ultimately depend on what type of music you listen to. I lean towards Shure; Jicos are indeed terrific japanese replacements (own one), better than the originals. Just not the M97 cart which is a tad dark for my tastes and aimed at the classical/jazz oriented audiophile. There are way cheaper and livelier (albeit less detailed) Shure carts for guys like me who listen to mainly rock, reggae, punk and metal.

7. Liquid Len

Liquid Len Forum Resident

I used an AT95E with success on my Dual 505 for many years. Great bang for the buck!

theron d likes this.
  8. Gibson67

Gibson67 Life is a Magical Mystery Tour enjoy the ride Thread Starter

I know it's an Ortofon, here are a few pics,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. starbuck

starbuck Forum Resident

An OM stylus assembly would be drop in replacement for the Pro S stylus presently fitted, I think, with the only adjustment needed being tracking weight and bias (both lowered). The Pro S uses a spherical stylus which tracks at quite a high weight and is more intended for DJ use, I think, so a swap out to a stylus with a better profile should certainly bring benefits and wouldn't cost that much either.

I see you're in Diss: I'm in Beccles and may be able to help out with an OM-5E stylus if you want it (assuming I can find it), drop me a private message if so.

10. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ortofon-P...us-For-Concorde-Pro-S-Cartridge-/181595037431

7 mv output level and tracks like a beast. Try with 3 mg of VTF, check for IGD or skipping, otherwise you should get away with it just as I do with my Shure.

30 pounds it's a steep price for a replacement but it's a damned fine DJ cart, but I'm strongly biased towards these type of carts because I use one; it suits the styles of music I listen to so nicely, and tracks less-than-perfect POd records so well.

Then again you still didn't tell us your tastes in music.

11. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

About 15 years ago I used a Dual 505 2 Deluxe that I bought 2nd hand & I bought a Grado Prestige Black cartridge. It sounded great. It's a shame but too many people use cheap cartridges on the Dual & will never hear it's potential.

12. McLover

McLover Senior Member

OM 20 stylus and you are good to go. Your cartridge will accept it without any issues.

The Pinhead likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.