Need advice on Fantasy jazz SACD's and K2 remaster CD's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Matt, Jun 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt

Matt New Member Thread Starter

How does the Doug Sax mastered SACD's of "Waltz For Debby," "Sunday at the Village Vanguard," and "Way Out West" compare to the K2 remasters of the same titles? I guess I'm more interested in knowing how the CD layer of the SACD's compare to the K2 CD's.

It probably sounds strange to compare hybrid SACD's to CD's, but I've already bought these albums a few times and I don't really want to buy them again if the mastering isn't that much better. So, is it really worth it to upgrade again?

Thanks for any help.

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

rEG: Village Vanguard

This is a title worth upgrading IMHO, as I've heard the K2 (I thought was poor). I'm getting the SACD dual layer in the next couple of weeks from Ron & Peter @ Trumpet. I can tell you then?

3. Matt

Matt New Member Thread Starter

Thanks, Sckott. It would be great to hear your input on that album.

I actually thought the K2 was a step up from the standard OJC release. LaFaro's bass comes through more clearly, which I like (may have been boosted; I'm not really sure), but when you hear Motian's cymbals, they really sizzle. I always wondered what Steve could do with these tapes, especially when I hear the cymbals on "Portrait In Jazz," and that was poorly engineered album, too.

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

It certainly was, but the K2 gets a bit too toppy for my taste. Jazz is sometimes hard to relax about masteringwize. The K2 of Vanguard was a lot better, but I didn't ever rest on it. Let's hope there's more to be enjoyed in the sound!

5. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

Fantasy K2 remasters were a step up from OJC CDs, IMO - I remember doing the comparisons for Way Out West and Wes Montgomery's Incredible Jazz Guitar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.