Need advice on setting tone arm height on Pioneer pl400

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BDC, Oct 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BDC

BDC Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    I've been reading all the Vinyl talk on here and decided to get my old record player going.
    I still have all my records!

First off the photo is something I dug up online, not my actual turntable. My counter weight is not broke..
    I see a couple of screws on each side of the round housing that connects to the tone arm, one of which you can see directly above where I typed the word " vinyl". --My question is are those height adjustment screws?
    Like possibly if they were loosened maybe I could lift it and retighten on the post/spline that it connects to.
    I don't at the moment have screwdrivers that fit it, and won't go buy them if somebody tell me I can't adjust height with those screws.

My cartridge is an old Audio technica dc 10, and i put in a ATN3472SE stylus. The arm angle is at a slight uphill slope at the needle end, and the body of the cartridge is as the wrong angle and drags the record as it plays. This happens no matter how light I set the counter weight.
    Maybe I'm looking completely at the wrong thing here, so any help is appreciated.

I suppose a lower profile cartridge might resolve this, but I've had this cartridge in there forever and it never did this. Hopefully there is an adjustment. Thanks

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  2. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

3. BDC

4. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

I think what you are referencing in the picture are the vertical pivot bearings, and you don't want to mess with those. I don't think this tonearm has adjustable height, some of the less expensive vintage models didn't offer many tonearm adjustments, especially the automatic ones (and same today, even some of the high end tables don't have VTA adjustment). You can use shims in the headshell and/or vary the platter mat thickness to change the VTA, and also use a different headshell with more height.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  5. BDC

Thanks Davey, I'm glad I didn't have a screwdriver that fit.. I need to go lower than just the mat, even if it was removed completely. I wonder if the whole table the records sit on can be lowered?

Shims would add height at the place I need to decrease it. I wish there were some I could subtract. Actually it may have had a similar angle in the past but the needle itself would hold the weight.

6. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

Well, like I also said, some headshells have a higher mounting distance, and some are even adjustable, so a lot of flexibility is possible with S-shaped tonearms and removable headshells. It's still not a substitute for a properly designed tonearm, but you have to work with what you have.

7. BDC

That may be the next step, looking at some other headshells.
    I wonder if a brick and mortar store in my area has any selection?

8. BDC

Ok the talk of the use of shims got my thinker working.. I couldn't adjust arm height, but with the use of a shim I was able to change the angle of the cartridge. I adjusted the weight and now it's satisfactory, cartridge isn't dragging. I believe I can hear a difference too, kinda sounds good.
    I'm playing my Vinyl Soundgarden Superunknown, the last record I ever bought new, back when it came out. It's 1 am in Tacoma, so I wait till tomorrow to crank it up.
    Thanks for chiming in.......:goodie::edthumbs:

9. McLover

McLover Senior Member

No VTA adjustment available on this Pioneer. And shims can be used to adjust VTA when cartridges are mounted in headshells. Or use a different thickness platter mat.

10. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Ouch...you're testing it out with a $100+ record?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.