Need android music player app for classical music

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Old Listener, Nov 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Listener

Old Listener Forum Resident Thread Starter

My ancient iPod seems to be dying so I'm looking for a way to play music through my Android phone. Sound quality through the phone to cheap Koss headphones is OK for my use preventing boredom on my daily walks.

I'd like to load about 30 GB of music files on the phone and use a player app to browse and select music. I combined movements of works to produce a single music file instead of one file per movement. (That made things much easier on the iPod.)

I'd prefer to use a series of tags to browse to the music I select:

genre (classical vs. jazz for example)
    composer
    work name
    artist

If I can't find a player app that lets me browse by a sequence of tags as above, I can probably live with browsing by folders and file names. I'd store the music files in a hierarchy of folders corresponding to the tags I'd prefer.

A few lesser concerns: I don't want to app to cut off tags names. I want to see Composer/work/artist names for the file currently playing.

Any leads to Android music player apps that fit my needs would be appreciated.

2. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

3. Old Listener

The thread you linked to looks useful. I installed Foobar2000 and was able to browse by tags. Great! Thanks for the tip.

I'll give Foobar2000 a thorough trial on my walk tomorrow.

Balthazar likes this.
  4. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I use Rocket Player. Quite fast at scanning and seems to work with tags.

ciderglider likes this.
  5. Old Listener

I tried Foobar2000 on my walk today. I could find the music I wanted to play and it sounded fine. Thanks, Balthazar for that very useful suggestion.

I left my iPod charging for ~ 20 hours. After a couple of hours, it quit making the soft screeching noises and eventually got fully charged. It appears to be back to normal. So now I have two ways to play music on my walks.

Strat-mangler, thanks for the Rocket Player suggestion. I'll try it soon.

6. ciderglider

ciderglider Forum Resident

Another recommendation for Rocket Player here. As you may have already discovered, it has a composer tab, which is invaluable with a classical collection.

7. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Onkyo HF Player. Excellent VFM and comes with DSD support too.

8. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

I recently switched to USB Audio Player for my HTC M10 which has an independant DAC and amplifier. Previous to this I've used Foobar which sounds excellent. I connected my Dragonfly DAC and MP 1060 planars and was immediately blown away. Microdynamics are very pressent and the sound is really even and smooth. Isolation of voices is easy and I can hear the room they are performing in. Great recordings like Allison Krause sound far more detailed than they ever did. Good recordings are improved but they reveal the limitations. I added the Jitterbug plugin to the Dragonfly and it went even smoother. I listened to all of Beethoven's fifth with original instruments with no fatigue. It was like hearing it for the first time again. Very involving sound and no distortion unless it's in the recording.
    There is a cost for the app but if you have a DAC to plug into your phone go for it. It's been the best improvement in my headphone listening since I received my MP 1060s. I don't make any money for chatting this app up. I'm just a happy consumer. Music is important.

9. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

USB Audio Pro is the daddy of mobile phone music apps, plays anything, bit of a no brainer, use it with something like a Chord Mojo and you're entering the realms of serious audio

carrick doone likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.