Need antenna help!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scooterpiety, Jan 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis Thread Starter

I figure at least one of you fellow tv addicts can answer this probably dumb question!
    My local satellite provider doesn't carry ME TV and a few other channels I really want. ME TV is carried on a local sub channel.
    My question is can I buy a cheap antenna and get the broadcast channels and satellite channels at the same time? How do I hook it up? I googled this and couldn't find an answer. Thanks!

2. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Most likely you can have both as long as your TV is not ancient as older ones did not have a required digital TV tuner needed for new antenna TV these days.

Your TV input menu should let you choose your signal input, first get a good antenna, a powered one works the best IMO cost about $45 sits anywhere near the TV, small, and unobtrusive, does need a 110 wall outlet for power.

Hook it up to the TV, access the correct menu mode, probably digital tuner, DTV or such, there should be a prompt to scan for channels, let it scan and you should have quite a few digital over the air channels depending on where you are. I get over 20 myself with my garage TV. Obviously fooling with placement of the antenna will help with certain channels, I get more in later after sundown. You might be lucky and find it's enough where you can dump the pay TV. And to go back to your pay TV just access the TV input for cable or such. You can easily toggle between both pay and antenna TV inputs with your remote.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  3. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

I have cable, not satellite. But the cable box is hooked to one of the TV’s HDMI inputs, as I’m sure your satellite receiver is. That leaves the TV’s coax input free - and that’s what you'll need for OTA reception. Of course your TV should have an onboard digital receiver. Most do (my daughter’s last-year Visio did not).

Now you’ll have to determine what kind of antenna to get. I’m 25 miles from our transmission towers, pretty much line-of-sight, so I have a Mohu Leaf. Works just fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.