Need Help Adding SACD/DVD/DVD-A Player to 2-Channel System

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Paul G, Feb 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul G

Paul G Senior Member Thread Starter

My wife and I plan to add a universal (SACD/DVD/DVD-A) player to a two-channel setup. The audio receiver, a Yamaha RX-777 (100 watts per channel), has enough open audio inputs (DVD and VCR). We have a digital cable box connected to the Yamaha's audio D-TV inputs. We already have a VCR connected to the TV.

One problem is the limited number of inputs on the TV, a 27-inch six-year-old stereo RCA, which still works pretty well. It has only one coaxial/RF input, one video input, and one set of stereo audio inputs. Might a Radio Shack A/V selector or a bunch of Y-connectors work in adding the universal player? How about, in addition, using Y-connectors as splitters to send the audio signals from the VCR and the universal player to both the TV (via the A/V selector) and the Yamaha?

Another problem, of course, is the two-channel audio setup: the Yamaha has no inputs or outputs for center channel, rear channels, and a subwoofer. The speakers are fifteen-year-old Ohm Small Sound Cylinders with a stated frequency response of 44hz to 20,000hz (maximum input: 100 watts). Might we run into bass management issues?

As for choice of universal player, the Pioneer DV-563A seems a strong candidate, based on the comments on this forum. Any other suggestions?

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Paul

2. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

If I were in your shoes, I would simply replace your existing DVD player with the universal 563, then you would not have any connection issues. As far as surround vs. stereo only, you can go into the set up menu of the 563 and tell the machine that you have no surround speakers, no center channel speakers, and no sub-woofer. With most high rez SACDs you get to choose which mix you want to hear, a stereo only or a multi-channel mix. This option is mandatory on SACDs that include a multi-channel mix. As far as DVD-As go, this option is not mandatory, but by telling your player in advance that you only have front right left speakers, the machine will perform an internal fold down mix of it's own. Not the best option, but it is acceptable. With this type of set-up there are no bass management issues.

3. Paul G

Just to clarify, we do not have a DVD player in this setup at all yet. We plan to continue to use the VCR while adding a universal player.

Paul

4. therockman

I'm sorry, my bad! But you do have two video inputs into your television, the coax and the composite video. You hook up the DVD video out into your composite in on your TV, and use the coax in for your cable/antenna and your VCR. As far as audio, you do not use Y adapters, you hook up everything to your reciever and use rca style jacks to hook up the tape monitor output of your reciever to your audio input of your TV. This is actually optional, you don't really need any audio going into your TV.

5. Paul G

We got the Pioneer DV-563A this morning ($149.88 plus tax at J&R Music World) and followed your suggestion, running all the audio through the Yamaha receiver. So far, so good!

The Pioneer manual suggests that if another pair of stereo outputs is needed and the multichannel analog outputs are not needed, the front left/right 5.1 outputs can be used -- no Y adapters needed! We might use the front left/right 5.1 outputs to run the Pioneer audio through the TV if we don't feel like turning on Yamaha.

Thanks for your help.

Paul

6. therockman

Sounds great. I hope everything woks out fine, and post back here if you run into any further difficulties.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.