DCC Archive Need Help with Rumors DVD Audio disc

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris Desjardin, Dec 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member Thread Starter

I bought this disc, but have not yet purchased a DVD Audio player. I tried it in my DVD video player and it just says "loading" for a couple minutes until I eject it. The Hotel California disc laods easily and plays great. Am I doing something wrong here? Help!

2. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

I had the same problem with my last DVD player, a Toshiba 3109. It nearly put me off DVD-Audio, but recently I purchased a JVC XVSA75 that plays these discs, and Rumours plays just fine. If this is reason that pushes you to upgrade to a DVD-Audio player, well, as Paul McCartney once said, 'Let It Be' ;)

3. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member Thread Starter

I have a Toshiba 3109, too. I am waiting for the Toshiba 5700 to become available. It is DVD audio/video and is reasonably priced. I have found it online for as low as $235. Right now only the 4700 is out, but it does not have HDCD. If I'm going to buy one, I might as well get the HDCD as well.

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I had a Toshiba DVD player, earlier model, went to playing CDRW's to...uhh.. Not even playing CDRs.

I've since bought an Apex with no complaints. I'd look into buying the newer JVC's as they seem to really aim high for value for DVDA.

5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Thanks for the JVC comments, Sckott. I've been looking hard at the Sony DVP NC650V which plays SACDs and DVDs. I *believe* it plays DVD audio only discs (I'll actually take one to the store to see if it works - the web site is not too clear). I *don't think* it plays DVD-A.

Got the Doors DVD-A yesterday. Says DVD-A is six speakers. SIX!?! Thought it was five.

I'm sooooo confused at this point. Maybe I'll forget DVD-A and try buying a SACD player instead. Those boxing day sales end tomorrow!

Or wait - that all encompasing Pioneer player is supposed to play SACD, HDCD, DVD-A, CD, CDR, CDRW. Wonder if it plays them properly - like, is it a FULL DVD-A player?

*sigh* :(

6. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Yes, some mixes can be confusing, like "6 channel" when it's actually 5.1 (LR,LR Back, Center, Woof). However there are some DTS mixes that employ 6.1 like the title track to "End Of Innocence" by Don Henley. The rest of the DTS CD is 5.1. I have to laugh, actually. Pretty soon the ariel view of your listening area will look like 10 speakers slowly closing in on you! AAAH!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.