Need help with titles on 2 brittish 70’s films and a german 70’s tv-series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Roy Crossland, Mar 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roy Crossland

Roy Crossland Forum Resident Thread Starter

As a child I watched these films and tv show and they have stuck in my head ever since. I hope someone can help me with the titles as no one I ask seems to know.

The german tv show is from the 70’s or early 80’s. There is a boy in a wheelchair and he is being herassed by a gang of youngsters on mopeds or motorcycles.

One of the brittish movies is set in a typical 70’s suburb. There is a boy and he shaves his head and then keeps his jacket on with the hood up. I remember his father says something about a defect window must be closed or it can fall down and land on someones head.

The other film is about some asfalt or road workers and was probably made in the mid 70’s.

Not much to go on but hopefully you can help me.

2. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

The road workers one could be the Blackstuff. There's a follow on called boys from the blackstuff
    The follow is one of the finest pieces of TV the BBC has ever made
    Does this help?

Roy Crossland and johnsiddique like this.
  3. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Are you sure the german one is a TV show and not a movie? The description you provided strongly reminds me of the classic television film "Vorstadtkrokodile" (1977) centered around a gang of youth detectives where one of the guys is in a wheelchair and repeatedly gets bullied.

Edit: it was also broadcast as a kind of mini series in two or three parts. Maybe that's how you remember it?

Dan Steely and Roy Crossland like this.
  4. Roy Crossland

You are right! It is definitely ”The Black Stuff”. I thought it was made in the mid 70’s but it was made in 1980. I love these films made in the North of England. My favourite is Kes from 1969.

We used to visit England in the early 80’s as we had relatives in Sunderland, Seaton and Seaham Harbour among others. Even though the Pits and industry had closed down on many places and it had become a bit slummy, I Will never forget the hospitality and kindness among the People. And the different accents are beautiful! I will watch ”The black stuff” again some day again! Thanks for the help!

dvcarrick likes this.
  5. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

Don't forget to watch the follow up series. Boys from the blackstuff.
    This is actually far superior to the blackstuff.
    at the time in the UK it was extremely controversial
    You will also see some of the finest acting you will every see. Especially from Bernard Hill
    I watched series a few weeks ago and it's still as fresh now as it was then. And still as poignant.
    Enjoy.

Roy Crossland likes this.
  6. Roy Crossland

I will!

hyntsonsvmse likes this.
  7. Roy Crossland

It must be it! Thanks a lot, I will watch it again some day. I have sent a question to Swedish Television what year they send it. Some films and tv-shows you watch as a child stay with you forever.

LeBon Bush likes this.
  8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Derek?

9. Roy Crossland

You helped me with two of the questions. Still I wonder what the movie is called with the boy who shaves his head. They live in a typical 70’s suburb. This movie has stuck with me and I want to see it again.

10. hammondjake

hammondjake Forum Resident

11. Roy Crossland

It is a 70’s movie I am looking for.

12. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

Could be Meantime, which was made in 1983,but has that seventies look about it.

13. Roy Crossland

”Meantime”, 1983.

Yes this is it! I am coming home from my night shift and instead of sleeping, I had to watch the movie on Youtube. Yes it was there the whole movie. Filmed in London and released in 1983 you can really feel the post punk atmosphere. I felt sorry for Colin when his brother interfered when things were looking up Colin. These run down suburbs in London that you see in the movie with windows falling out, have they been knocked down today?

Last edited: May 23, 2021
    Halfwit likes this.
  14. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

Not sure if those particular suburbs are still standing, but you can still find plenty of them all over the UK.
    You should check out more of Mike Leigh's films. I think you'd like them.

15. Roy Crossland

This fascinating and at the same time scary documentary give us some of the truth about these blocks of houses in the suburbs. Many of them are fortunately gone!

Halfwit likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.