need new TT $600 budget

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by malco49, Nov 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident Thread Starter

my pro-ject debut lll TT circa 2005 or 6 motor is making way too much noise.i have already had it looked at but the motor noise has returned.
    my budget as the title indicated is limited.........looking @ the newest pro-ject debut lll carbon....for $599.
    have always heard bad things about music hall and rega just seems to need to much tweaking to make it sound right.....any thoughts?

2. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

I am curious as to what you think you need to do to a Rega RP1 ? I own the RP3 and as far as I know, they take very little effort to setup

Brother_Rael likes this.
  3. malco49

it just seems that they offer a lot of tweaks etc....

4. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

Sure they do, but I would not say you need them for it to sound good. At that price point, I think you might like the RP1 out of the box. Give one a listen at a dealer. If you like what you hear and get one, you can always add things later like the belt and mat upgrades

malco49 likes this.
  5. malco49

rega just seems to offer performance pacs which would lead one to believe the TT as sold needs improvements......
    i want the rega(although i don't think there is a dealer in baltimore),but will probably go for the pro-ject carbon debut lll
    esprit edition.....just looking to be convinced to get a rega!

6. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Used Rega RP3 would be my starting point.

7. malco49

not a big fan of used gear.......but thanks!

8. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

I've been wondering why people consider the availability of upgrades to be a negative. Never made sense to me. It just sounds like something the detractors would invent as an argument.

There are tweakers who will want things like better cartridges, belts, platters, etc. and people who want to just use the device as it is. Rega turntables are among the easiest to set up. It seems like that is a positive. After that, one can just ignore the upgrades.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
    500Homeruns likes this.
  9. vpiindustries likes this.
  10. Also, a Rega RP1 with the performance pack preinstalled should cost around $600.

11. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Ok, on the subject of Rega. I own a RP6 with the Exact cartridge, its a very good deck in my (not particularly expert) opinion. The sweet spot in the Rega line. I also own a RP1 factory "performance pack" which is also a good table but can't touch the RP6. I bought both from a forum member who is in retail, the RP6 was a trade in and the RP1 was a demo (I bought the RP1 first and then upgraded). Both perform as designed no issues. Used is not synonymous with abused.

The Rega tables have captive cables, can't swap without a major rewire. The RP1 factory cables look like the wires that OEM manufacturers include with hundred dollar CD players. The 3 and 6 have premium factory Rega cables. The RP1 is equipped with a RB101 tone arm which looks crude compared with the tone arm on the RP6 which has the latest Rega RB303, incidentally the RP3 has the RB303 as well, not an insignificant upgrade. RP1 has a platter molded from phenolic resin, the 3 and 6 have float glass platters. The jump in quality between the PR1 and RP3 is huge and as an owner of a RP1 let me say it was good enough to make me want more but not good enough to satisfy. I recommend you look at the RP3 if you want a Rega.

craigh and malco49 like this.
  12. malco49

can't be any easier to see up than the pro-ject debut lll.and i have tweaked mine quite a bit(i jus keep getting motor noise)....acrylic platter.....speedbox.....record clam

13. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

Why not get another Debut III and keep the platter, speedbox, etc.? Amazon has 'em for $375 right now.

http://www.amazon.com/PRO-JECT-DEBUT-MATTE-BLACK-TURNTABLE/dp/B000CDHQK2

Better yet, why not check with Pro-Ject and see if you can get a replacement motor?

14. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

I have a Debut III, too. No tweaks except changing to an Xpression platter so I could use MC cartridges. Is the noise the usual vibration that is often written about in the forums? If so, I've read posts where people said they solved it by putting neoprene washers above and below the motor mount flanges and then putting the screws back in.

The Rega can actually be easier, though, since setting the tracking force does not require balancing the tonearm and there's no anti-skating string to install.

15. sfaxa

sfaxa Active Member

That's what I have - sounds great for the $

16. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Or get the Carbon Esprit which has all the "tweaks" built in for $599
    http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Ject-Audio-Carbon-Esprit-Cartridge/dp/B00AWB6C22/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417219884&sr=8-1&keywords=debut esprit
    More than happy with it for the last year (can't even see the dust on a white one).

malco49 likes this.
  17. malco49

i have done all the recommended fixes for the motor.i don't think it that anymore.in fact tonight i played a few records all sounded great.....at this point i just think it is some records(and there are new releases top quality etc) just have more surface noise.i to think if still decide to "upgrade" will go for the rega 1 with the upgrade package for $600!

18. malco49

19. vpiindustries

vpiindustries Forum Resident

Side note... if you don't like Music Hall, they are built in the Project factory. I'm not throwing VPI in there as a choice in this price range and not saying anything either way about any other brands. Either way, whatever table you get I hope it is one that will make you continue to love vinyl! :)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
    malco49, Ntotrar and Billy Budapest like this.
  20. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

The 'DJ' stuff (especially the videos !!! Gak !!!) turns me off, but this seems like a fun/good TT, esp for playing along with (pitch control). Is it a totally 'automatic' TT? I don't know that I want/need to replace my old Thorens TD-145, but if so, would want at least the auto-up/shutoff at end of side. Fully automatic would actually be appealing as well. I know there's some out there (by 'Thorens' and others) ...

Kind of nice to (well, OK, I'd probably clean the stylus first) just hit 'start' and go sit down before the record starts playing.
    (WHOOPS, never mind ... it's manual ... at least in starting/cuing up the record. Oh well.)

I admit to being a little nostalgic as a Pioneer was my first real TT (back in 1975 or so).

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  21. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

Mat,

I wonder how much will a hypothetical "stripped down" version of the Nomad sans the Ortofon 2M and built-in phono preamp and headphone amp sell for.

22. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

This. I had a P3 and it was about as plug and play as you could wish for.

23. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

IMHO I prefer a turntable to come directly from the factory representing a quality product. When a brand has readily available "upgrades" for a given turntable model it can make you question the sound quality of the "stock" table. Especially when the cost of the "upgrades" can easily double the cost of the original. Maybe I'm a neurotic but it would drive me a little crazy and most likely purchase the upgrades or a better unit from the beginning. It is a rabbit hole I would want to avoid if I could.
    However, at a lower price point you have to compromise something and I understand that.

malco49 likes this.
  24. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

While the Project Debut Carbon line includes an excellent arm, the Project entry level tables lack of adjustable VTA has always concerned me. Limits what carts can be installed. The Music Hall line has that feature, even on the 2.2, which I own and enjoy, although not too crazy about the Goldring included cart. Nothing wrong with it, I just prefer a more detail orientated cart.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.