Need opinions on 2 turntables

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Syrinxcs, Oct 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syrinxcs

Syrinxcs New Member Thread Starter

I’ve had a Yamaha PF-800 with a Denon DL110 for a while now and it’s hooked up to a Pioneer SA-9100. I recently got a Thorens TD 165 that’s in very nice condition. I’m trying to decide if I should sell the Yamaha and keep the Thorens. I would move the Denon cartridge over. The negatives I can see are that the Yamaha should be a better turntable and probably will sound better and the positives are that the Thorens was built in the same era as my Pioneer and matches better with the silver and wood. I also like the simplicity of it being fully manual. How much sound quality would I be sacrificing? Just trying to figure out if it makes sense to do this or not. I really don’t have a need for two turntables.

2. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

The 165 is a stunner. Very good in stock form.
    With a change of arm i would think it would hold its own
    Against anything.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  3. VintageVibe

VintageVibe Forum Resident

My rig is the TD 165 / Denon DL- 103r LOMC / Music Hall Pa 1.2/ Pioneer SX 1010 into Vandy 1C's.. I've had the 165 for 40yrs. I'm very happy with this setup. Never felt the need to upgrade the TD. There are several mods and upgrades you can make to the 165 that will make a significant improvement. Thorens Dept.
    I've replaced the fiberboard bottom with 1/2 Birch and added feet from vinylnirvana. Tightened the bottom end nicely.

VV

4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Thorens is far superior to Yamaha, unless you're talking GT 2000x or so. And I like some of Yamaha's better turntables.

The FRiNgE and SandAndGlass like this.
  5. sturgus

sturgus Forum Resident

I would take the Thoren's over the Yamaha. The Thoren's is so popular that a whole market has sprung up to support it. I think the Yamaha is a nice table but I would think getting parts would be much harder. I also think the Thoren's may be better sounding of the two.

6. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

I have never heard a 165 but have had two 150s, stock and VN. The stock 150 was lovely. The VN150 is my forever table. Based on that I certainly support choosing Thorens.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  7. sfrost

sfrost Forum Resident

Why sell one, both great tables that are hard to come by in good condition.

patient_ot and H8SLKC like this.
  8. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I'd take the Yamaha over the Thorens, assuming the Thorens has the stock arm. If the Thorens has been upgraded with a different arm, that might sway my opinion.

Davey likes this.
  9. Davey

Davey NP: Electrelane ~ No Shouts No Calls (2007 LP)

Yea, I'd kinda feel the same. A while back I posted a picture of a Yamaha redone in cherry for sale on USAM, and it was pretty nice... The "Picture of your Turntable(s)" thread, Pt. 4

Back to the tonearms, I know some feel the Thorens TP16 arms are OK, but I have the later (and much-modified) TD 320, and the first thing I felt the need to fix was the arm, it just wasn't very solid at all, especially with a connector part way down the arm tube. Anyway, both tables are probably more similar than different, I think a lot may come down to choice of materials for plinth and tonearm, and how they work together, so why not just give them both a listen and decide yourself :)

HiFi Guy likes this.
  10. VintageVibe

VintageVibe Forum Resident

The 165 uses a TP-11 tonearm. Great tracking and the heavier arm (16.5gr) is perfect for low voltage LOMC carts like the 103r. It's a great combo for vintage vinyl like Blue Note mono pressings.

11. Wants and desires often overrules need. Why not keep all 3? I would definitely keep the Thorens. Not just because of it's audiophile quality but because it also has features, like the separate sub-platter and being belt driven.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

If you just want to have a reliable turntable to play your records, keep the Yamaha. If you prefer to invest time and care maintaining and upgrading a nice looking vintage object, the Thorens could be very rewarding.

13. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

Never had this particular model but I have found TD125s and 150s to be pretty low maintenance and reliable. Of course it might just have been luck. Also if you start tinkering with other arms, that injects a new element. I loved the simplicity of the Kugel arm, thought the SME 3009 was overrated, and totally dig the Cardas wired Rega 202 which, so far, has been simple and solid. I prefer arms without a separate head shell.

14. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

What they said, sell the Yamaha...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.