Need some advice on a turntable!!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by CopTheRiotAct, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CopTheRiotAct

CopTheRiotAct New Member Thread Starter

Hi, this is my first post here. This is a great forum and I look here first for almost any question I have about TTs or vinyl pressings etc.

Ive been buying vinyl for about 8 years now, but only recently I have been buying a lot more and realizing I need to take care of them and have a decent setup. I don't make too much money and I have other priorities, so i cant spend too much on my setup.
    I currently have:
    Sherwood RX5502 2.0CH Stereo Receiver

Wharfedale Atlantic AT-400 Floorstanding Speakers

Sony PS LX250H Turntable.

I was looking to spend only $500 AUD on a new turntable to start with.

My main questions are:

Is it worth upgrading my Sony turntable for something like a "Pro-Ject essential II" or similar?
    Will my speakers and receiver combo hold back any turntable upgrades making it pointless?

Thanks so much for reading. I understand there's a million similar threads to this, and it must get tiring to explain this basic scenarios again and again. Also i apologize for the many fonts etc. it wouldn't let me fix it for some reason.

2. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

I would go the Pro-ject Debut Carbon or Rega RP-1 over the Essential. I don't know your current turntable but imagine either would be a decent step up.
    Get the best you can afford and then upgrade the other components when money permits and your turntable will shine!

audiofool likes this.
  3. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

4. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I can't recommend any TT from real experience (I have a 'hand me down' but good Thorens TD145 and have purchased several cartridges over the ~30 years I've owned it) but welcome to the forum and to audiophilia!

The quest for the 'ultimate sound' is never ending. The question is always "I now have "$1000" or whatever to spend. One very good, two good, or three 'OK' components ... which will improve things the most?" I tend to go with the first - get the best you can in what you perceive as the 'weakest link' category, then upgrade the rest as funds allow. Seems like a good TT will 'survive' many other component upgrades (will not be the weakest link for many 'cycles').

You may not even hear that much of a difference, but this will then allow you to upgrade something else and 'know' that the first component you upgraded is not dragging down the system sonics.

My speakers are not all THAT expensive (~$900/pair when I bought them 20 years ago) and I've upgraded the crossovers inside them. Lately, FINALLY, I think the next major upgrade should be a new pair of speakers. Or a new amp ... it really never ends, but that's the 'fun' thing about this obsess ... er, hobby! :D Good Luck and Happy Listening!

PS/Edit: I think since you're into vinyl and the Sony TT seems entry level, a new $500AUD TT/cart is a very good choice. Later, assuming you'll have another $500AUD to spend, look into a quality integrated amp (I've read good things about the new Yamaha line, not that they're the only good choices ... say the A-S500). Assuming vinyl and maybe CD and other sources are your preference, and not AM/FM radio, spending the same money on an integrated amp (preamp + amp in one chassis) over a receiver/AVR would be a much better use of funds.

Later, depending on what you want, spend another 500 on some standmount speakers, then later another 500 on a subwoofer. After that, possibly you'll be able to spend 1000, so get better standmounts ... (well, that's what I've done over the years!). :D PPS: I put the speakers on stands well out into the room, 6' apart (pointed at my head), and sit 6' away. Sub in the corner. This provides a great soundstage and the speakers 'disappear' ...

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  5. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I'm afraid the receiver is the weakest link. TT prolly OK for entry level and speakers are excellent. Get a vintage receiver or new amp/receiver first, then upgrade the TT (the options you provided are nice). By all means keep the speakers if you are satisfied with them.

6. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

My advice: That turntable is destroying your records. Replace it immediately and never play anything on it again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.