Need speaker choice help....for vintage McIntosh

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mbrobe, Oct 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mbrobe

mbrobe Forum Resident Thread Starter

I recently acquired a McIntosh MX 113 Preamp and MC 2120 Amp from a family friend for free :goodie:

I am dropping both off to Mark at AbSoundLabs.com for full factory restoration. I sure hope it is worth the wait and money to restore these and get them running.

I am planning on plugging my Dual 1229Q directly into the phone stage on the MX113 and running my Rega P5 with Dynavector P75 into the AUX input. I think this should work out nice for both tables?

Question is, I think I am going to need to upgrade my B&W 604's as now my McIntosh is my gateway drug into a new world. I was thinking about B&W 804S used since I can pick them up for $2500 used. Is this a good choice? Also, will the MC 2120 with 120W/channel be able to push those nicely? Would I be able to push 803s?

I really like the sound of my current B&Ws and want to stick with the warmth and bass they provide. Worst case I could try and find another MC2120 and run them in Mono but wanted to get all your expert opinions before I pull the trigger. I have a couple months to decide since it will take about that long for my restoration on my gear to be completed.

Thanks all for any input you might have!

Michael

sushimaster likes this.
  2. mbrobe

I also wanted to add I am open to bookshelf monitors but with the MX113 there is not a sub output. So if there is a way to still have plenty bass with this setup I am open to that as well. 805S?

3. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

I would keep your current speakers for a minimum of a couple of months and make a decision then.

Dave, Gary and beowulf like this.
  4. attym

attym Forum Resident

Agreed, keep your current speakers for the time being. You have a point of reference with them so you'll know how the mac system compares to your old system. If you add new speakers right away, it will be harder to pin point where the changes (good or bad) are happening.

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

That's early Mac solid state, isn't it? Not the greatest sounding stuff. Keep your present speakers, I think.

6. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

I have an mx 113, i think. Isn't there a mono output you can use for a sub? That's what I do.

7. mbrobe

Thanks all and will take the advice and stick with current speaker setup and post comparison thoughts.

Steve, yes, from my research it is 2nd gen solid state from Mcintosh.......is it worth restoring or just sticking with what I have? Will it sound better than my 90s Rotel gear?

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

You tell us. Have fun with your score! Pretty looking Mac Stuff!

9. mbrobe

Thanks you all....more to come

10. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Wow, I think my C29 preamp and MC2105 amp sound great and I guess that's early Mac solid state. I'm crushed.

11. Fiddlefye

Fiddlefye Forum Resident

Early Mac SS can actually sound a lot better than I expected. I picked up a MC 250 last year on a bit of a whim and paired with a quality pre (I liked tubes with it) and some good modern speakers the end results turned out to be smooth, sweet, nicely detailed and with far more depth than I would have imagined. I compared the combo to a Rogue Sphinx integrated (highly reviewed) I had on loan and the results were much more musically gratifying to my ears.

12. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

The 250 and the 2300 were quasi-comp-symmetry units, pretty soon thereafter they went to full complementary and aside from adding Power Guard and Output Sentry the topology has stayed the same pretty much ever since. My guess is components, particularly capacitors have improved.

In my opinion the best Mc solid state power amp was the 7200 if you are willing to forego the autoformers or the 7270 if not. However, they are all pretty close to the same sonically once you get past the early models.

13. mbrobe

Yep, I verified there is a mono output for a sub. This might just work out perfect.

14. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

There isn't any filtering but most subs have a low pass filter on them and you can run the mains full range without too much problem, it's not perfect but it can work. Stuff the ports with foam.

:)

15. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

That's a nice combo you've got there. I once owned the 2125 which was the metered version of your 2120.
    While they are old, they are second generation solid state, with autoformers and power guard. They do sound very good.
    Mac was always known for greatly understating their power. Your rating of 125 w/ch is probably closer to 170w/ch.

I was very happy with mine, only replacing because I came across a 2155 at an unbelievable price.

16. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

This really makes the most sense. You may absolutely love what your new Mac does to your existing system.
    There are countless options for speakers. Personally, I'm a fan of the Lansing sound, having used JBL and Altec with Mac for over 30 years. I do realize though that this is not everyone's cup of tea.
    Given the power that you're working with, you'll have much to choose from. Good luck.

17. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Its kind of separate from the conversation of what to pair with vintage McIntosh electronics, but B&W 804S for $2500 locally is a pretty great deal I wouldn't pass on. Fully restored vintage Mc should be resolving enough to show them off, even if its not everybody's thing.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  18. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

On the Mc web site there's an interview with Les Paul where he says he always used Mc amps and Altec 604 speakers. This works pretty well as far as I am concerned. I don't think Mc amps work all that well with Klipsch speakers especially K-horns and La Scalas.

19. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I like vintage components with vintage speakers.

20. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

MX 113 is a very highly regarded tuner preamplifier in most vintage Mc circles.

MC 2120 should be more than sufficient for all but the most demanding speakers in most settings. I own two MC 2125s (metered version of MC 2120) and it is an excellent performer as far as I am concerned.

Congratulations on your acquisition of a fine combo.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  21. ssmith3046

I do too but with my C29 preamp and MC2105 amp I use a pair of B&W Nautilus 805 speakers and a pair of B&W 608 subwoofers to fill in the bottom end. I love the sound that I get from this combination of McIntosh and B&W. For my Fisher 500C tube system I use a pair of restored KLH Model 5 speakers from 1968. Those old Model 5 speakers work just great with the 500C.

22. mbrobe

So... I came across a used pair of N804s that I couldn't passup. I also picked up another MC2120 and plan to run them as mono. I can't wait to get my gear back from restoration. How do you all think out will sound?

23. attym

attym Forum Resident

I have the exact same set up and am confident it does sound great. I do have a decware tube phono stage which really compliments it.

24. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

My prediction is "awesome". McIntosh + B&W is just a winner.

25. ssmith3046

Great!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.