need to convert 60Hz to 50Hz ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Funky54, Nov 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good Thread Starter

Crap............ What should I do? Just bought a Roksan Radius 5.2 table only to finally receive it after weeks and weeks of waiting, and find its 220-240 / 50Hz. I live in the us with 110 / 60Hz. Is there any affordable gizmo that not only steps the 110 to 220 but also steps the 60hz down to 50Hz?

I am very very discouraged.

2. alfajim

alfajim Forum Resident

The 220v is not difficult as all most dryers and a lot of electric stoves are 220v you have two power wires with a ground instead of one power one neutral like 110v has. Unfortuneately the 50 hz is a horse of another color the frequency of AC is done with the speed of the generator 1800 RPM in the US and 1700 in the UK thus with a 4 pole generator it creates the correct frequency. The frequency determines the speed of the TT motor so the only way to fix it is a change of the drive motor, IMHO.

Jim

3. Funky54

If that's the case, and there is no affordable converter or transformer to change 60Hz to 50Hz, I guess I just go through weeks and weeks again returning it and waiting and waiting on a refund. Probably loose shipping too.

If I can't fix this I'm done. No more. I'll stay content with my pl 530. Bad taste spending what to me is very serious coin only to get nothing but misery in return.

4. alfajim

alfajim Forum Resident

Do they have a 60hz motor available?

utahusker likes this.
  5. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

6. Funky54

I did see that and many others. Those all step up the 110 to 220 but I don't "think" they take 60 Hz down to 50 Hz at the same time, and that's really the issue.

This particular one says (50/60Hz) but i don think that means it converts it.

7. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

This^^^^, if the motor can be easily changed.

8. Funky54

I'm sure they do. What's that gonna cost though? I spent every penny I had getting a table beyond my means. A $2-300 motor is pretty costly. I put a email into roksan to see.

9. gcos

gcos Well-Known Member

is this a belt driven turntable ?? if yes all you need is to change the pulley. Usually they include both the 5ohz and the 60 hz pulley with the table. Check and see whether it is not in the little bag of accessories. If not just call and ask for a 6ohz pulley... simple fix !

10. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

I don't think it's that easy ...

[​IMG]

11. gcos

gcos Well-Known Member

I have had a 50hz turntable when I lived in England. When I returned home (6ohz) all I had to do was change the pulley which was simply screwed in. I think Roksan will give the same solution.

12. Funky54

That is really really good to hear, but wouldn't I still need a 110 to 220 transformer? The plug wouldn't even go into a US outlet.

Roksan's email isn't working even when it's straight from their web site. I've been sending to [email protected] and [email protected] and it keeps coming back as a dud.

13. gcos

gcos Well-Known Member

well you can have an electrician run a 220 outlet, if it is your home, as the best solution because transformers can introduce hum into the system. Call them if emails are failing and they can give the best advice. The phone number is on the site. Lovely table btw. Hope all is resolved eventually. .good luck

14. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

Changing the table over is probably the "correct" solution, but voltage is easy to change with a transformer, and it does not have to be a big one. Hum is not a problem with a proper transformer and even a smallish unshielded one can probably be put in an enclosure easily. Small 2:1 transformers are common and cheap. Do get one rated for 50 Hz.

Frequency change is tougher but at the small power level a table requires it is not particularly expensive. Any of the turntable speed controllers will take line AC, rectify it to DC and produce AC at the desired frequency, you just need to get one that puts out in the 50 Hz range instead of 60 Hz. IIRC all Linn motors are 50 Hz now, as an example.

My guess is the motor works (at different speeds) on AC at either voltage and at 50 or 60 Hz, but different speeds of course, so the pulley and possibly the capacitor used to provide two phase to the four terminals is a different value. It might even be a 120V motor with a series resistor for 220!

I'd call the vendor and if they offer no palatable solution, ask on some of the more technical turntable forums as to what others with this specific table and issue did. But if generating 50 Hz 220 V is the answer, it isn't tough.

Worst case scenario, get an audio generator, a small power amp and wire it up via a transformer such as a small tube output transformer "backwards". That's what I did to drive small motors at variable speeds for lab projects in school and for my own amusement. You only need five watts or so.

15. alfajim

alfajim Forum Resident

Burt with the speed controller method would the output be square wave or pulse modulated and would that make the motor run funny?

Jim

16. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

It would depend on the controller. I would think the sine wave would be best. Ask the vendor.

17. gcos

gcos Well-Known Member

Jim, google this problem and you would see tons of guys who tried the speed controller option and it did not work. All major manufacturers make tables for the international market so adjusting for both frequencies is not a major issue. If you google you would also see the solution is a 20% thicker pulley which Roksan must have for a large market as the US and Canada. Somebody screwed up and sent you the European model so just call them on monday or ask a UK based member to do so on your behalf and free yourself from the agony.

18. alfajim

alfajim Forum Resident

gcos that was my thought about the HZ situation, I spent 2 yrs on a service truck with Onan generators so real familiar with 60 vs 50 hz.
    Funky54 so it looks like you are back to Roksan for a pulley as the best, only solution for this problem.
    Thanks guys for the assistance for Funky54's dilemma.

Jim

19. Funky54

Thank you everyone. I'll contact Roksan and see what my options are. I'm trying to wrap my head around just using a pulley. It seems to me that I'll still need a transformer or something.

Sure is frustrating.

20. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Agreed, Contact Roksan and see what they say. They'll get you sorted in some way and spinning vinyl with least fuss.

21. gcos

gcos Well-Known Member

just to clarify seeing that you said you are trying to wrap your head " around just using a pulley" you need a 6ohz pulley from Roksan and clear instructions on replacing the current 50hz pulley. it should be supplied at their cost because it was their error. U would still need a transformer but as a previous poster said because of the low current draw it should be a small one and therefore should be quiet. if not as I said running a 220v outlet should not be too costly. Good luck !

22. alfajim

alfajim Forum Resident

Should be fairly simple on the 220v line as the drop from the pole to the house is 220v already they split it at the breaker box using one side for each line of 110 breakers, unless your house is weird, it is done that way to reduce the amp load on just one wire plus allowing for 220v appliances. Look at the circuit breakers to see if they are narrow or wide, wide is 220, double breakers actually.

Jim

23. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I think a different pulley would be a solution.

24. Tyler Eaves

Tyler Eaves Forum Resident

No no no!. US 3-phase 220v is a totally different thing than Euro 230V *2-phase*.

25. alfajim

alfajim Forum Resident

22v household feeds are 220v single phase they use two 110v power wires both black in color to the breaker and then use one of each for the 110's. And the green ground. 110 is a black power and a white neutral plus the green ground which is a shock protection. houses are never wired three phase unless the owner wants it for a shop and then real expensive as it is not usually avalaible at the pole.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.