DCC Archive Need tube advice

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Evan, Sep 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evan

Evan Senior Member Thread Starter

:confused: I need some advice. I recently purchased a Dynaco PAS 4 with that uses 6DJ8s and 12AX7s. I am using it with a set of Marantz model 9s (reissue). Can anyone recommend which brand (or brands) of tubes I should be looking for to replace them with for both the pre-amp and the amp? The Marantz uses EL34s, 6DJ8s, and a 6CG7. I would like to have some on hand for when the tubes in current use start to go. Thanks! :cool:

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I have experience with the EL34s, me being a Dynaco ST-70 guy, so I'll talk about that and leave the rest. Mullards, Siemens, Telefunkens are very strong tubies. I have 2 Dynacos up, one with stock tubes (mostly, w/NOS) and one without (russian Tubes). If you're looking for good value without a big pocket-bite, try some of the Electro-harmonix Russian EL34's from thetubestore.com. Steve Hoffman has told me many times to stock with NOS, but when this 2nd Dynaco stepped into my life, I needed tubes quickly to fix and troubleshoot the things. It was originally stocked with Teslas and a Chinese Ruby. Talk about crappy tubes! The Russian replacements were a great buy, and so far have not let me down, not even once (I'm using this as an experiment, and also a bridge so I have time to nail some NOS EL34's at a great price).

No, with all honesty, I DO love the USSR Electro Harmonix, but if you want the ultimate hefty reliability in a rock-solid tube, go with Mullards, but be aware they're expensive.

My recommendations may relate to the other tubes you're wondering about, but I'll let Steve Hoffman take a crack at the rest.

He'll tell ya, NOS (New-Old-Stock) tubes or lightly used pulled tubes from Mullard...ect.. some other RCA tubes are like...wow, man!

Also look and search on audioasylum.com in the tubes directory and do a search for your tube numbers. Good luck. :cool:

3. Evan

Thanks! I am in Japan and the sources I have found for tubes here are of the Steve Hoffman NOS school. They will not touch Chinese tubes and don't seem to think much of any current production (including Russian). Unfortunetly, NOS tubes here are expensive. If only Telefunken would start production again. :rolleyes:
    I am sure that they'll get right on it after the Stones and Beatles catalogs are remasterd properly. Oh well. Guess I will have to start saving up my yen.

4. Evan

Has anyone heard of Ultron tubes? I have seen some for sale here in Tokyo and the shop keeper indicated that they were German tubes similar in quality to Telefunken but not as rare or expensive (at least I think that what he said. My Japanese is quite poor). Any help would be appreciated.

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Evan, be very careful of tube buying in Japan. A great many fakes there. Good fakes, too. They fool a great many people....

Ultron brand is a rebranding of various kinds of tubes from various countries. Some good, some stink. Shop with care, or email my buddy Kevin Deal at Upscale Audio:
    http://www.upscaleaudio.com

He will help (drop my name)... ;)

6. Sckott

7. Evan

Thanks guys! I will have to drop him a line and see what he can do for me. Much appriciated. Also, on my Marantz Model 9s, does anyone know what triode mode is and why would I want to use it? The manuel that came with them is in Japanease so I have been doing a lot of guessing to set them up. Any help would be much appriciated. I I blew those babies up, my wife would kill me for sure. :eek:

8. Steve Hoffman

Evan, don't bother with Triode mode. Some audiophiles say the sound is sweeter, but I think it makes a mess of the midrange, along with cutting your power output in half. It turns your beautiful EL 34 output tubes to triode style (a sort of fake 300B sound). Keep it in pentode and enjoy the extra power... Just my opinion, many others will disagree. ;)

9. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Steve,
    Could you please clarify... Do you only dislike EL34's wired in triode mode or do you just not like Single Ended Triode tube amps in general?

10. Steve Hoffman

Drew, I love REAL single ended amps. I just don't like the sound of an EL-34 wired in triode. I think the top end gets tipped up too much. Others love this artifact. They call it "air". Sigh....

11. Drew

Drew Senior Member

<WHEW> I just ordered a 2A3 amp kit (couldn't afford the 300B right now). I was wondering if there was a catch to the
    cheaper EL34 or 6550 kits I see wired in triode mode.

12. Steve Hoffman

Drew, your 2A3 kit will do ya fine. You might even like it better that a 300B kit. What the heck are you going to use as speakers? The 2A3 only has a few watts...

13. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Still shopping both Ebay and locally, new and older models. I know the all the Klipsch have very high sensitivity ratings, but I've heard the construction quality of the newer models are questionable. I'm really can't find anything else in my price range of $1000 or so.

There is only one local store that sells Klipsch and they have some discontinued Heresy II's in the corner they said they'd sell me for $750 if they haven't been sold by the time I'm ready for them.

That store did say I should bring the completed amps in to test drive some speakers. I'm a little nervous about buying speakers that I haven't heard off of Ebay and if I go into the store with my amps, then I'm kinda sorta on their hook.

I put posted on www.audiosylum.com to see if there was anyone in my area with a 2A3 amp for me to sample. With no real luck.

Sorry bout the longish post.

14. Steve Hoffman

Drew, geez, feel free to write as much as you want. It's all interesting information!

Most horn speakers that begin with the letters "Kli" :p are very, very colored. You might not like 'em too much. Too bad you don't live in Los Angeles. I'd have you come over to check out my Tannoy Dual 15's. They pull about 105 db with one watt, and have a very balanced sound so I'm sure they would work with your 2A3's. Problem is, Tannoy horns are so expensive now (most of them have vanished to the Far East), that no mortals can afford them anymore. However, I did find one of my pairs in a thrift shop for $50.00. Could happen to you, too!

15. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Well, if I ever get to the West Coast, I might like the guided tour :cool:

I think experimenting in this area might become a new hobby for me. I have no other commitments (unmarried/no kids) and this might be the time do it.

I'm in awe as I look on audioasylum of these people who grab a tube and start building a
    homemade amp around it. I see schematics all over the net for do it yourself tube amps and old classic Dynaco, Marantz & Mcintosh stuff. I have a degree in electronics technology, but you don't exactly start pushing tubes into a solderless breadboard that you buy at Radio Shack, ya know?

A friend found a Dynaco ST-35 at a local garage sale for $3 recently and it works perfectly (altho I think I might sound better with new tubes). Wish I had that kind of luck.

16. Sckott

You WILL have that kind of luck. I know albums I was looking for 8 years ago that I found in thrift shops and yard sales for $1. Makes you feel happy to be alive. All you have to do is keep things in the back of your mind, search, keep your eyes open. My mama told me... you better shop around!

Good luck strikes twice in the same place. Drew, I'm unmarried, no kids, no girlfriends, still have my good looks (???), all my teeth, etc... The best thing I could say is maybe get into kit building? Steve's right about single ended amps. Try http://www.audioelectronicsupply.com and look into what the AudioAsylum is buzzing about kit wize. I like the AES kits a lot. Very well rounded supply of kits, a lot of "places" covered. Holster up your soldering iron and investigate. You'll find the best way is to either lasso a Dynaco (power supply and choke working at least, needs repair) or get a kit around a sound you're looking for. The EL34 power tubes were always a good choice, as is the KT88's (Dynaco MkIII's and a TON other stuff). Also check http://www.bottlehead.com/

Come to the dark side of DIY. Learn and be soldering maniac. Feel the Force flowing through you!

17. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Does this apply for all of us? ;) If so, anyone (Steve?) want to recommend an inexpensive power amp that might mate well with the GFA-555 pre for some warmish 89 dB efficient full-range British speakers?

Drew, I heartily recommend Maggies for your amp. :)

18. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Sckott, thanks for the moral support. Just out of curiousity, what do you think about those new Sound Blaster Audigy cards? Aren't they supposed to have a feature on them to remove noise from wav files and store what was removed in a separate wav files (I'm sure Steve is cringing right now).

Patrick, whats the speaker efficiency of the Maggies? And more important, how much hurt are they going to put on my wallet? ;)
    I honestly can't say I know much about them.

19. Steve Hoffman

Drew, Patrick was being ironic. Maggies need about 400 watts a channel to play anything that resembles music.

20. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Oh, I was being my usual smartass Captain Sarcasm again. The Maggies (i.e., Magnepans) are very inefficient (is there such a thing as an efficient planar magnetic?), so they would be an incredibly terrible match for that amp you're talking about.

I need a smiley to show when I'm being sarcastic.

Seriously, though, have you thought about Lowthers or Loth-X?
    http://www.lowtherloudspeakers.co.uk/
    http://www.lothx.com/

[ September 29, 2001: Message edited by: Patrick M ]

21. Drew

Drew Senior Member

If I would've gone to the magnapan web page, I would've seen their relatively low efficiency ratings.

I'll have to study that lowther page Very closely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.