Needledrops: What software do you use to record vinyl?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SteelyNJ, Jun 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

I'd love to have Alan's Tascam, but no way in hell I'm doing mine all over again :laugh:

SteelyNJ likes this.
  2. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident Thread Starter

So far I'm surprised by how many people use relatively pricey software and/or hardware for this task. My expectation was that the overwhelming majority would be using Audacity but that doesn't seem to be the case.

3. stetsonic

stetsonic Forum Resident

For recording mostly Audacity, occasionally Izotope RX6 Standard. Editing and conversion pretty much on RX6 nowadays. IIRC, the Standard version was something like $199 so it was not exactly free - but not expensive either for what it does.

SteelyNJ likes this.
  4. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

I've been using various iterations of SoundForge since version 4.5 in the mid-90s. Back then I used the ADC in my MiniDisc deck and recorded directly to WAV using an optical cable to a sound card on my PC.

SteelyNJ likes this.
  5. mikehbkwm

mikehbkwm Forum Resident

iZotope RX 6 Standard is what I use. I used to use Audacity, but it doesn't even compare to what RX 6 can do. IMO, RX 6 for the price point is amazing for ripping Vinyl or Tape.

6. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

This is what I do as well, except for the part about editing out the pops and clicks. I just leave 'em be. The DA-3000 seems to have dropped in price to $800. Wonderful piece of kit!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  7. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Me too..I found audacity really confusing to use...Goldwave keeps is simple.

8. old45s

old45s MP3 FREE ZONE

Same here, I go from vinyl via my mixer into my Tascam CD recorder.
    If necessary I run the finished product through my NCH Wavepad software to manually delete the pops or edit the song. Sometimes I increase the volume in parts but never use Compression.

Chris Schoen likes this.
  9. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

So your "mixer" is your phono pre-amp also?

10. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

A vote for VinylStudio here. A bargain, and good enough for what I'm doing. I like the looks of Adobe's Audition, but it has far more features than I need, and, at $20.99 a month, a little pricey. Once my 11-year old outgrows Garage Band, I may consider Audition for him.

11. JumpinJimF

JumpinJimF Still perfecting ways of making sealing wax

I've just switched from Audacity to VinylStudio and it's well worth the small expense. Click removal, track finding and tags work really well, much quicker and easier than in Audacity.

mp3tag is great for tagging, can set up macros to add flags so when I'm scrolling though the NAS index it's easy to spot which files are flacs from CD, which from vinyl etc.

luckybaer likes this.
  12. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

I use audiogate for editing the tracks, recording is done on the korg in dsd128.

13. galactica1971

galactica1971 Forum Resident

elvisizer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.