"Needs Remastering" - Wish List

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by StrawberryFields, Sep 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stateless

Stateless New Member

I agree. It's such a great sounding record & a crappy sounding CD. The E Street Shuffle CD is a good sounding Bruce disc.

Don't mean to TC!

2. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Vic Anesini has made this sound really nice on the new Greatest Hits CD. Dennis Drake also remastered it on a 60's compilation put out by Time Life that sounds very close to Vic's version. Both are probably as good as it's going to get.

3. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

While I'm at it let me throw in John Denver, the rest of the Cheap Trick catalog, Harry Nilsson remaining albums (how about a listenable copy of Nilsson Schmilsson?), Klaatu (the worst remasters ever!!!!!). Many more I can't think of right now.

Oh, you said singles. my bad.

Consider every track on all these albums as singles and just remaster them in order of their place on the album. Then package them together with the album's artwork. Whoopdang! A cleverly packaged collection of singles.

4. Matt

Matt New Member

Have you noticed how crappy the River outtakes sound on "Tracks" compared to other outtakes (like the Darkness outtakes)? The mastering isn't good on "The River" CD, but I think the reason the CD sounds so much worse than the others is because the recordings never sounded that good. Maybe the way they were mixed, recorded, who knows.

5. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Neil Young - Entire back catalogue except for the recently released "missing 4"

Van Morrison - Moondance, Astral Weeks, His Band and the Street Choir

Talking Heads - Entire back catalogue

Jeff Beck - There and Back

UK - UK

Chris Squire - Fish Out of Water

Gentle Giant - Everything but Octopus and In a Glass House

Jethro Tull - Bursting at the Seams, Stormwatch, A, Broadsword and the Beast

U2 - Boy, October

6. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

I agree. This remains, by far, my favorite Bruce album, and, while the vinyl still sounds true, the CD is awful. But, I've given up on this catalog ever being revamped.

7. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Here are some more from the "They sound better on my original U.S. 45s than they ever have on CD" department:

"Go Now!" -- The Moody Blues
    "Nobody But Me" -- The Human Beinz
    "Psychotic Reaction" -- Count Five
    "May I" -- Bill Deal and the Rhondels
    "The Letter" -- Joe Cocker (mainly because the 45 version isn't on CD)
    "Pretty Ballerina" -- The Left Banke
    "We Gotta Get Out of This Place" -- The Animals

8. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Re: Re: "Needs Remastering" - Wish List

I believe the 45 version of "The Letter" is on "Anthology" Joe Cocker.

Joe

9. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Re: Re: Re: "Needs Remastering" - Wish List

The liner notes say it's the single version, but it's not.

The single version has studio overdubs not on any other version, and no applause anywhere in the track ... kind of like the single version of the 1987 US hit (live in Australia) of Elton John's "Candle in the Wind," from which the applause was mixed out and/or replaced by synth overdubs.

Sometimes, I wonder if some producers even care. The most logical way to see if you really have the single version is to A/B with an original 45! Most of the singles aren't that rare on vinyl, either. I like that the producers of the 1999 20 Good Vibrations Beach Boys greatest hits sets actually did do this (of course, it wasn't foolproof, as they used the wrong version of "Fun, Fun, Fun," but at least it was a mono version with the longer fade).

10. Agreed ! !

Telephone Line has always bothered me - I have it on two different compilations, both of them suffer from Dolby not working properly and muting the all but the loudest transients. The top end suffers accordingly.

So in the end, I fixed it myself. Here's a clip ...

http://users.aber.ac.uk/cmj/phil/Telephone_Line_EDIT.mp3

It can be done when you know how ... I'm proud of this one, although I'd be interested to see what you guys think :thumbsup: I was only trying to kill the tin can sound of the snare drum, but I ended up enhancing so much more ... the cymbals ring clearly, the vocals and strings now have the right "air" around them, and sit in the mix just right..

How does Telephone Line sound on the Flashback box? Any good?

Phil

11. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I think this is on Rhino's 'to do' list.

12. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

How about any older Hall and Oats? My vinyl slays any CD's from that era.

13. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Can't think of any singles so I'll list albums that come to mind as needing remastering:

1.The Stooges-st and Funhouse

2.Neil Young-Entire back catalog sans missing 4 recently reissued

3.The Replacements-Tim,Pleased To Meet Me,Don't Tell A Soul,All Shook Down

4.The Pretenders-ST,2nd,Learning To Crawl and Extended Play

5.Inxs-Shabooh,Shoobah,The Swing,Listen Like Thieves

6.Santana-Inner Secrets

7.Nick Lowe-Pure Pop For Now People,and Labour of Lust

8.The Cure-entire catalog

9.The Smiths-entire catalog

10.The Housemartins-London 0,Hull4

11.Killing Joke-Nitetime

Thread Status: