Neil Diamond 50 - The 50th Anniversary Collection

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by transistoroldies, Feb 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LouieG

LouieG Forum Resident

Why hasn't "Kentucky Woman" ever been issued in true stereo on CD? Is the master missing? This needle drop from the Early Classics LP sounds clearer than the Bernie Becker remaster on 50.

2. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

All of the master tapes were in the room with Stephen Marsh during the production of In My Lifetime. I think there's a photo somewhere here on the forum.

Grant likes this.
  3. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Excellent on 74's Double Gold as well :)

4. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

I notice a lot of "single version" notations for the tracks on this set. Is there a list anywhere of the differences between the various Diamond single versions and the album versions?

5. LouieG

LouieG Forum Resident

The biggest variation of mono single mixes to stereo album versions is "Solitary Man". I don't think there are any major differences in any other of the Bang singles.

Peace N. Love likes this.
  6. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Thanks. I have recently wondered if the increasing presence of "single versions" on comps is a bit of a scam. And of course I've been too lazy to actually sit down and A/B the respective versions.

7. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Mine finally arrived from Amazon UK this week. I think shipping took 3-1/2 weeks.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  8. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Got this 6 cd set box enjoying it immensely. Great overview of Neils storied career. The unreleased tracks are an interesting listen rather good as well.

9. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Got this 6 disc collectors edition today on a “price crash” deal in HMV ( U.K. ) for only £21.99.
    Just a heads up if you’re in the U.K. near a HMV.

peace and love✌Dave

10. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

Has anyone compared the sound quality to the 2017 3CD Neil Diamond 50th set with the 2018 6CD 50th set?

I only have the 2017 3CD set, but do not like the audio on it...I think it's even a step down from the 2014 Capitol comps...but I would get the newer 6CD set if the remastering is completely different from the 2017 3CD version?

For example, has anyone compared "Heartlight" between the 50th 3CD and 6CD sets? I don't think it sounds terrific on the 3CD set, but does it truly sound better or different on the 6CD version?

Hep Alien likes this.
  11. Retro Music Man

Retro Music Man Forum Resident

The 50th Anniversary Collection sounds very sub-par, IMHO. For comparison, I also have The Ultimate Collection (1996) and All-Time Greatest Hits (2014), and 50th sounds far worse than both of them.

The difference is especially apparent on a track like "Beautiful Noise", which, on The Ultimate Collection, starts off quietly and slowly builds to a crescendo. On 50th, the beginning is loud, and the ending is basically a mess, with the echo in the mix brought up to ridiculous levels due to all of the compression and limiting. Not recommended.

12. Futurecity

Are you referring to the 2017 50th 3CD set or the newer 2018 50th 6CD Box?

13. Retro Music Man

Retro Music Man Forum Resident

The 3CD set - although from what I understand, both of them sound pretty similar.

14. Futurecity

Yes, I also bought the 2017 50th 3CD set and do not like the sound quality at all...it is even worse than the 2014 Capitol All-Time Greatest CD and "Yesterdays Song" has that horrible glitch, plus that song is much louder than all of the other songs. The only song that sounds incredibly stellar to me on the 2017 3CD set is "Desiree"...that one sounds spectacular for some reason, but in general, I don't like the 3CD version.

I don't own the 2018 5oth 6CD Box, but I hear that it does sound very good and is possibly an improvement over the 3CD.

Hep Alien and George Cooke like this.
  15. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

It's been 3 years on since this Thread started.

Has anyone "lived" with this box set? Any recent thoughts on it regarding song selections and sound?

16. flyingdutchman

flyingdutchman Senior Member

I just want Hot August Night. That's enough.

Keith todaro likes this.
  17. George Cooke

George Cooke Well unknown member

Yes, I have both the 3 disk and collector sets and, as CD updates of the In My Lifetime set, they are great.

The liner notes, packaging and sound are fine. Frankly, for serious fans, it is an essential addition no doubt.

My main niggle is bemoaning the fact that there's no comprehensuve box set treatment of complete albums - although the collectors edition delves slightly into deeper cuts, there are plenty of other obscure album tracks worth exploring - let alone rediscovering seemingly forgotten albums like Primitive, Lovescape, Headed for the Future and Serenade.

The aforementioned In My Lifetime 3 disker is still the truly essential overview and can be picked up reasonably

The Collectors expanded edition comes in a coffee table hardback book format which is far more substantial than the regular digi pack style of the 3 disker and is well worth sniffing out if you want the best edition available.

18. I'm mildly surprised Neil hasn't received a Complete Albums box set at some point.

19. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

[​IMG]

Spinning this box to close out a splendid weekend.

:cheers:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.