Neil Young announces upcoming 10 disc Archives release on Blu-ray Nov. 3, 2008, Pt. 2

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KeithH, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

Here's the cover art:

[​IMG]

2. :confused::confused:

Best Wishes
    David

3. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Damn, this is huge. Suger Mountain comes from these shows. They were 3 months before the Riverboat shows. I bet these versions of Neil's Springfield songs will be amazing. I can't an acoustic Expecting to Fly. I wonder if any of these were played on piano?

4. zejt

zejt New Member

11-09-1968, The Canterbury House, Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Solo

On The Way Home / The Old Laughing Lady / Mr. Soul / Expecting To Fly / The Last Trip To Tulsa // The Loner / I Am A Child / I've Been Waiting For You / Broken Arrow / Birds / The Last Trip To Tulsa // Nowadays Clancy Can't Even Sing / Out Of My Mind / I Am A Child / If I Could Have Her Tonight / Flying On The Ground Is Wrong / Birds
    Set list courtesy of Ghosts On The Road

11-10-1968, The Canterbury House, Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Solo

Mr. Soul / Sugar Mountain / I Am A Child / I've Been Waiting For You / Nowadays Clancy Can't Even Sing / The Last Trip To Tulsa // The Loner / The Old Laughing Lady / Broken Arrow / Number one song rap / Birds / I Am A Child
    Set list courtesy of Ghosts On The Road

Predates the gigs at the Riverboat in T.O.

5. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

I was hoping for a picture of The Canterbury House.

6. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

It's strange that the picture is from the Springfield era. Hmm. :confused:It seems suspicious.

This picture is from the same session as the one that's used for the cover of disc 3 in the box set:

[​IMG]

7. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

Well, 1968 was the Springfield era.

8. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I know that. I would think that there are plenty of 1968 Neil photos post Springfield to use.

9. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Agree. But, this one has already been bumped at least once. The original release date was September 23, 2008.

10. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

I don't think Neil played the piano on stage until his late 1970 solo tour. That's when so many of his early seventies piano ballads started to pour out. He played "Expecting To Fly" on piano at Carnegie Hall in 12/70 and it's really a great performance. Those were important shows to him. If he doesn't have recordings he should issue the audience recording, although I think it WAS recorded. Those shows represent the consolidation of Neil Young as a solo artist of stature, distinct from any band connections. He played almost every song he'd written as if to "own" them. He scolded the audience for making noise and requesting songs.

I'd be surprised if there WERE a lot of pictures of Neil in 1968. Of the top of my head I can't think of ANY. Certainly there are some, but Neil wasn't really on the map at the time. He finished Buffalo Springfield in May then shortly thereafter started to record his first album. Springfield wasn't a big act, and they ended with a whisper. Apparently, when Reprise sent promo copies of the album to radio stations they misspelled his name as "Neal". He wasn't exactly a top priority.

11. jacksondownunda

jacksondownunda Forum Resident

Imagine a time when the crowd didn't burst into applause at the opening notes. This Sugar Mountain was first the flipside of the "distorto" single version of Cinnamon Girl. Absolute classic single. Delightful to have this show finally come home to roost.

12. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Looks like it says 'Disc 00' of the performance series on the sleeve.

13. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

My new theory is that all the Archives material will trickle out as individual CDs between now and the year 2076. At which point I'll be 109 years old!

Which is good, because I'll no longer care if the recordings are too loud or compressed.

14. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

A drop at a time. And we're just lickin' it up!

15. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Fell free to distract yourselves with the CSNY DVD that came out recently.

16. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

17. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I couldn't really afford the Archives anyways, I will take this instead.

18. Invader Zim

Invader Zim A Progressive Blues Experiment

I'm extremely excited about this release. Massey Hall and Fillmore were top and I'm positive this will be more of the same. By the time Archives comes out, I'll likely have everything I want from it on cd anyway! Keep 'em coming, Neil! :thumbsup:

19. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I'm buying this. I hope there is a "deluxe edition" with a dvd like the last two...:D

20. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

How many of us will be disappointed if the Archives are ONLY these periodic releases? Not me. Just as long as he starts putting the demos and unreleased songs.

While we all wait for the Archives, it seems that Neil is trying to save the world by creating an effort called Lincvolt, a car that runs on electricity only, totally clean, and no need for fuel whatsoever. If Neil Young, of all people, is actually somehow successful in spearheading a technology that major automakers someday adopt, our irritation about the delay of the Archives will be trivial at best.

21. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

I'd be more than happy to just get one or two of these type releases a year. :D

And, if like Bob's Bootleg Series, there were an occasional batch of studio outtakes, rare tracks etc... all the more better... :righton:

Much more so than this Achives Blue Ray Debacle... :shake:

:cheers:

Can't wait to get this new one (and Massey Hall on vinyl...) :winkgrin:

22. ymenard

ymenard Forum Resident

Who knows, if he continues to push his archive each year *and* give us a performance series release here and there, we won't be needing the big boxset :)

23. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I wonder if this is availible in BluRay? I don't know about you all, but I would prefer several seperate releases rather than a massive 10 disc multiset that runs $300+

24. Phlo

Phlo Formerly dave-o

25. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Thanks for the link. But more confusion? It reads: "Sugar Mountain WON'T be part of the long-awaited Neil Young Archives Vol. 1 (1963-1972), a 10-disc Blu-ray and DVD set expected early in 2009."

If true,then Sugar Mountain won't be in the first Archives set despite falling into the right period, yet Live At The Filmore and Massey Hall are included?

Maybe I'm just a simpleton, but I don't want to buy any more of the individual releases and then buy them again when/if the boxset comes out. I'm not impatient for the boxset's release but a little information about potential duplicate buys wouldn't go amiss...:sigh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.