Neil Young announces upcoming 10 disc Archives release on Blu-ray Nov. 3, 2008, Pt. 2

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KeithH, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rck60s

rck60s Well-Known Member

Again......whooooooooooooo Cares...I say boycott until Neil realizes that one of these days no one will care

2. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Boycott? Really? Obviously some of us care. Why else would we be in "Part 2" of a Neil Young Archives thread? Even you care just so you can so who cares. And I will never boycott Neil Young. He's given us so much already. Most other artists would never even consider what he plans on doing. The best things come to those who wait.

3. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

Wait? Until we're all dead? What good will that do?

4. TWZ

TWZ Forum Resident

Here's the track list, from amazon.com

1. On The Way Home
    2. Mr. Soul
    3. Expecting To Fly
    4. The Last Trip To Tulsa
    5. The Loner
    6. Birds
    7. Winterlong (excerpt)
    8. Out Of My Mind
    9. If I Could Have Her Tonight
    10. Sugar Mountain
    11. I've Been Waiting For You
    12. Nowadays Clancy Can't Even Sing
    13. The Old Laughing Lady
    14. Broken Arrow

5. rck60s

rck60s Well-Known Member

artists that continue to dangle the carrot in front of their fans do not deserve the loyalty...By the time some of these anticipated items become available some of us will have passed on...I know that I am about done waiting for all the supposed Beatles stuff and I really cannot afford the $200.00+ it will cost to have the Neil stuff so for me it is all about what is available now or in the immediate future....I am 60 years old and not in the best of health so for me it is much more time sensitive than someone who is in their 20's...sorry to be so self centered but so be it...Just my opinion...The fans are what keeps an artist like Neil surviving...Too bad he doesn't realize that...There is only so much that can be done to enhance or reproduce what is already recorded....

6. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

I agree. None of us original fans are getting any younger. I was 7 years old when The Beatles played on The Ed Sullivan show, and I was 13 at the time of Neil Young's first solo album......but I'm 52 now.

7. EwaWoowa

EwaWoowa Sexiest Monkey Ever...

Wow, those songs were played at the two Ann Arbor shows on the 9th & 10th November 1968, but in nowhere near that order and spread across the two nights, and with a few others like I Am A Child thrown in.

It's a pretty re-organised 'best of' the two shows...!

Don't get me wrong, I'll be first in line to buy it though!

8. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I would have liked to hear "I Am A Child" personally, but this all sounds fine to me. If he took the best of the two shows than that should make it a better listen.

If it supposedly won't be included in the Archives box, then I may very well grab this. Doesn't sound like a release I'd want to miss.

Of course it would be spiffy if Classic Records had a vinyl version lined up they could announce since I'd enjoy it more in that format.

9. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

In my opinion, Neil's muse is what keeps an artist like Neil surviving. What fans want is secondary.

Personally, I'm quite happy for him to keep on his own path.

10. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

Why allow yourselves to be bothered by Neil's delays. You should know by now that the big box set will be out only when Neil is satisfied with it.

I enjoyed the Massey Hall release immensely! I think the Archive Performance releases are available not so much to tide us over as to keep his cash flow rolling along smoothly. I would fully expect to see all 3 of these discs in the box when it releases. I'm glad to get them now.

After all, won't almost everything in the box have been previously released. Should we now argue a time period limit between original release and inclusion/reissue in a box set? Does the music have to be recently remastered for it to be included in a box set now?

It would have been a shame for these exquisite concerts to have been lost or easily looked over as just another component of a behemoth box. One selection has to be the last one released before the set. Bring on Sugar Mountain!

11. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

His own path involves a chronic indecisiveness that may mean that he may not be able to bring himself to actually go through with releasing ANY music ever again(and that may include withdrawing plans to release "Sugar Mountain Live" at the very last minute)

12. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Now that is just silly. The guy has put out an album nearly every year since 1968. There is no reason to think he will stop now.

13. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I have to say this Sugar Mountain disc looks interesting. I hope it actually does come out.

14. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

We'll see.

15. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Turns out that Stills didn't want The Hour Of Not Quite Rain on the box. John Einarson said that during preperation for the box Stills was played In The Hour Of Not Quite Rain and he didn't even recognize the song at all so it was left off the box.

16. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

"In The Hour of Not Quite Rain" came about under circumstances similar to Moby Grape's "The Lake". A radio station held a contest whose lyric submission winner got the right to have his/her lyric/poem turned into a song by the group in question.

17. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

That's not surprising. It was basically a Richie Furay solo track produced by Jim Messina. "Kind Woman" is the same, but I guess Stills heard that one. One would assume that since Last Time Around contains six of his songs that he would have at least known the titles of the other songs. It seems like a lot of these guys have no use for information that isn't absolutely necessary. Who cares if Revolver came after Rubber Soul, and so on.... I have the entire Stills discography in my head and know all of his songs. He'd probably be astonished that ANYONE knows songs like "Closer To You" or "Grey To Green". Yet another reason why so many of these dismiss their unreleased songs and performances. Neil Young, on the other hand, seem to know everything. Too much, it would seem...:(

18. 905

905 Senior Member

At least Neil is giving us some lucky dips.

Sugar Mountain looks sweet.

19. If this is true - and who knows - Neil is running a real risk of alienating those who might buy it beyond their patience limit. Most of the potential purchasers are getting older, many have family commitments and money is getting tighter. I know that I fall into all three of those categories and I would have some fairly difficult explaining to do if I were to purchase a set at the kind of cost 10 Blu-rays might cost. And if it keeps getting postponed - well I guess I might just lose interest!

Best Wishes
    David

20. Did Neil Young himself announce it for November 3rd a while ago or was that the Blue-ray folks?

In light of the latest info maybe the thread title should be changed to:

Neil Young 10 disc Archives to be released on Blu-ray in early 2009, Pt. 2

21. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

I don't think an official release date was ever anounced. there were rumors and speculated dates from all over but I don't a date was ever set

22. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

By the time the thing comes out, BR could be gone...

23. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

We'll have moved on to Ultra-Violet Ray.

24. TimJo

TimJo New Member

L. A. Johnson indicated the Archives are going to be released Feb. '09 today at the LincVolt garage. :righton:

25. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003873425

Neil News: Live Set Due, 'Archives' Delayed

October 13, 2008 , 12:20 PM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.
    There's good news and bad news for long-suffering Neil Young fans. The good: highlights from a sought-after Nov. 9-10, 1968, run from the Canterbury House in Ann Arbor, Mich., will be released as "Sugar Mountain: Live at Canterbury House 1968" Nov. 25 via Reprise.

The bad: Young's endlessly delayed "Archives Vol. 1 (1963-1972)" is officially pushed back to some point in 2009. Young has waffled about whether the project will only be available on Blu-ray and DVD or whether there will be CDs sold; the latest word from Reprise is that "Archives" will be DVD only.

"Sugar Mountain," which will not be included in "Archives Vol. 1," was taped a few days shy of Young's 23rd birthday. Young had split from Buffalo Springfield six months earlier, and was testing out his solo material in front of audiences more accustomed to seeing him perform with a band.

The album features future young staples such as "Mr. Soul," "Expecting To Fly," the title track and "Broken Arrow," along with several snippets of between-song banter where Young discusses the menial jobs he held in Toronto.

Here is the track list for "Sugar Mountain":

(Emcee intro)
    "On the Way Home"
    Songwriting rap
    "Mr. Soul"
    Recording rap
    "Expecting To Fly"
    "The Last Trip To Tulsa"
    Bookstore rap
    "The Loner"
    "I used to" rap
    "Birds"
    "Winterlong" (excerpt) and "Out of My Mind" (intro)
    "Out of My Mind"
    "If I Could Have Her Tonight"
    Classical Gas rap
    "Sugar Mountain" (intro)
    "Sugar Mountain"
    "I've Been Waiting for You"
    Songs rap
    "Nowadays Clancy Can't Even Sing"
    "Tuning Rap & the Old Laughing Lady" (intro)
    "The Old Laughing Lady"
    "Broken Arrow"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.