Neil Young Archives Performance Series #12- Dreamin' Man

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GregK, Aug 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Agreed. The quality of this release is excellent, and Neil's acoustic has never sounded better. Of course the packaging is abysmal but that is how things are these days.

2. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

I think it has to do with Neil playing this entire, at the time, set of all new/unreleased solo acoustic songs every night during this tour. It probably caused some restlessness/tension with the audience. Particularly those more casual fans who were just there to see the recently-crowned "godfather of grunge". I'll bet it pissed Neil off everytime they didn't that. I haven't heard any other shows form this tour, but I wonder if this Harley-Davidson thing was a common annoyance. Either that, or Neil just felt like he played it best at that particular show, and wasn't going to allow the audience to ruin it (you would think he could have mixed that lower/out on the multitracks, assuming this isn't a live board feed - or, maybe doing that would have too noticeably affected the sound/ambiance of the song)...

3. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

ah the crowd loves to cheer during bits they can relate to. that cheer on Live Rust after "there is a band playing in my head and I felt like getting high" is something i now hear even when i play the studio version....:sigh:

4. DJ WILBUR

5. davers

davers Forum Resident

Despite my earlier post wishing for a few additional tunes from the '92 tour, I have really begun to enjoy this release, as is. On my second listen, it really hit me how beautiful these solo versions are. Special mention for Natural Beauty; simply amazing when you realize this is just one guy with an acoustic guitar and harmonica!

6. rich121

rich121 Forum Resident

Any word on if/when a vinyl version will be released?

Rick

7. walstib

walstib New Member

Release date is 01/12/10
    Back then they recorded the tour digital only,
    i doubt that vinyl will sound better.

8. Mike D'Aversa

As usual, don't forget to decode the HDCD on this one for better sound...

9. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I was going to skip this one, I have the "Harvest Moon" cd and figured that was good enough for this material. . . . .

But I went to Waterloo Records and held it in my hand and remembered how beautifully Neil can make an acoustic guitar or a piano sound when he's playing by himself, and bought it.

He really knows how to make an instrument sing, bring out its individual voice and feel. A master technician who is also a very emotional player.

10. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

This CD just doesn't do it for me, and I have everything Neil's ever released. I have to admit HARVEST MOON is not a favorite, so that's probably why. Also -- especially coming out on the heels of ARCHIVES -- too much "solo Neil" for me in one year.

11. Mike D'Aversa

Perhaps too much financially.

Otherwise, there is no such thing as too much Neil Young...

12. Jack

Jack Senior Member

So, the Dreamin' Man vinyl comes out on January 12th. Then what? I NEED more Neil Young!

13. DJ WILBUR

haha, I agree, it's been such a treat to have so many stellar live releases and great sounding remasters and the Archives, vinyl, all the various grams of them.

I love this release and just might treat myself to the vinyl. it is my birthday next month after all...

14. GregK

GregK I'm speechless Thread Starter

Funny- Harvest Moon is not a favorite of mine, but Dreamin Man is a much better presentation of the material for me. But I agree with you- too much solo Neil in a row. Really odd choice for the next Performance Series release!

15. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Is this still the release date? I've seen no mention of it on any of the web sites offering it for sale.

16. Come on neil get with the program!!! we are already into the 2nd week of 2010,its time for a new cd release!!!:winkgrin:

17. walstib

walstib New Member

take a look it still says 1-12-10

http://www.neilyoung.com/

18. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

I've called around, no local stores have a vinyl listing at all, let alone with a release date of tomorrow.

19. rich121

rich121 Forum Resident

Any news of the release date for the vinyl lp?

Rick

20. efil2159

efil2159 Forum Resident

21. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

22. tikkenator

tikkenator Forum Resident

Just ordered mine from Acoustic Sounds

23. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I agree. I've had this for about a month, and I really like it. Love the stripped-down, warts-and-all, official bootleg vibe of this release, although I do wish it contained "Silver and Gold," which I believe was played on this tour and seriously considered for inclusion on Harvest Moon.

24. 1878

1878 Forum Resident

Vinyl arrived today, from the nice people at Elusive disc. Now this is how live albums should sound.

25. I've been very happy with the CD which I got when it came out. I'd forgotten some of Harvest Moon's best songs, but thanks to this album I'm really enjoying them again. There's certainly something special about hearing Neil doing them live all alone. I first had my doubts about yet another acoustic set in Neil's Archive series, but now I realise it's good to have it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.