Neil Young Archives Vol II status--no time soon

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wildgift, Jun 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildgift

Wildgift This is the modern world that I've heard about... Thread Starter

Big shocker, but I have it on excellent authority from someone involved in the Neil Young archives projects that Vol II will not be released this year, but that they are continuing to work on it as time permits. I'm thinking that Pono is what is taking up time/energy, especially in light of NY's recent visit to Meridian in England.

That is all.

2. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Can't say I am surprised about Archives II. I really was not expecting it this year or any year for that matter.

I also figured Pono is dead too. Have not heard much about it antime recently

3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Like you said in another thread, those of us in our mid 50s likely will never see it. Neil will drop dead, nobody will pursue the project, then we'll die.

4. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

Has Neil Young ever pursued a project to its completion? Or even to step 2?

0476pearljam and chumlie like this.
  5. Wildgift

At least I have a scratchy MP3 of Time Fades Away on my Ipod. Maybe if I'm really cranky, I'll demand in my will that "Last Dance" be played at my funeral.

Well, in fairness: there is Archives I, and it's the best boxed set I have ever seen.

Vinyl Socks and Fullbug like this.
  6. Myke

I've got the vinyl of Time Fades Away.

7. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

supposed in the existing patent research phase ...

8. Physical formats for music will be on their deathbed by the time this project is ready. I imagine we'll be forced to buy this by download if/when it comes out, or as an incredibly expensive, limited edition box.

jsayers likes this.
  9. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

Yes but the keyword is ONE. He did it once and then lost interest as usual.

10. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

When Archives 2 comes out it will have 80% of "Time Fades Away" on it, and 80% of "On The Beach", etc. etc. That's one of my gripes with Archives 1. Does anyone really need MOST of "After the Gold Rush"? Best case scenario: Give us none of it, because we all already have it. Medium case scenario: Give us ALL of it, replacing the existing disc entirely. Worst case scenario: Give us MOST of it. The two discs in the set that I already owned lock, stock and barrel didn't impress me either!

tug_of_war, jimsumner, GregK and 4 others like this.
  11. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Yes, more than 40 albums, plus tours, movies, a book etc.

tug_of_war, Fullbug, moople72 and 9 others like this.
  12. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Doubt it ever comes out unfortunately....

Hamhead likes this.
  13. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

The Moody Blues just did the same thing with their big pricey boxed set. :realmad:

14. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I've got 3, in various stages of decomposing...

Myke likes this.
  15. I have it on 8 Track, which is the only non-vinyl legitimate way to hear it. I guess.

And, it sounds great! :)

16. Myke

I want to know who the pretty woman in Wildgift's avatar is. :angel:

hutlock likes this.
  17. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Well, there is a rare-as-hens-teeth promo CD version... but good luck finding one of those.

Also pretty sure there was a reel-to-reel version back in the day?

18. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

There were demo copies of TFA, hunt one down, very good sound

19. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Why a scratchy MP3? Download the unissued HDCD of TIME FADES AWAY - it's "out there" for the taking, if you catch my drift, and it sounds amazing.
    PM me if you can't find it and I'll hook you up.

bluerondo, Cassius, Spek and 2 others like this.
  20. Wildgift

That would be my wife. I'm a lucky guy!

21. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I just can't see Pono succeeding. There are already plenty of downloadable and physical high-rez formats and none have ever managed to get a decent toehold with consumers. If they're wasting time with yet another format, then we'll never see Archives II in Neil's lifetime. We'll certainly never see it in a package similar to what we got with Archives I.

Spek likes this.
  22. Myke

Yes Sir. Has a sort of Stevie Nicks thing going. :tiphat:

23. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

That's the sad thing. It's out there, people enjoy it, and it could be packaged and sold, but for whatever reason it's been held back.

24. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

For the sake of truth, Pono, as independent project, seems almost dead as well.Everyone, before the concert, has read the Neil statement on the billboard in Amsterdam. This is a courtesy visity to the Meridian factory. From the beginning of his history, Neil has always supported all the audio products of quality and he's not changing now.The Federal officers have mailedhim " non final action" for his trademarks applications and have given Neil time until the 22 September for answering the Federal remarks.

25. Rockinrob

Rockinrob Forum Resident

This is getting really annoying now. I became a Neil fanatic when I was 18, and I am about to be 27. It gets hard to comprehend what the wait is for!

I wish he would just release them in individual releases like Dylan does! He could put out one or two things a year, and then sell a big box to hold it all, with a couple extra discs in the box...

Just think he could put out Chrome Dreams, Time Fades Away I & II, Homegrown, the 76 shows, The Briggs Tonight's the Night tape and a live album from the tonights the night shows that were recorded, The 78 acoustic shows from San Fransisco, the 76 Odeon/Budokan shows...

Its hard to believe those aren't mixed and basically ready to go

And if they aren't, I would be more than happy to hole up at the ranch behind the neve, spool some tape and get some work done!

Spek, wayne66 and Heart of Gold like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.