Neil Young Archives Vol II status--no time soon

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wildgift, Jun 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davers

davers Forum Resident

The linked article is a couple months old. Neil just did some Crazy Horse shows in California, and has some other live shows on the horizon according to the Thrashers Wheat website.

2. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

Exactly.

I have no idea why you would bump an old thread with an already old article? :confused:

3. No, totally not NY's style at all.

4. EwaWoowa

EwaWoowa Sexiest Monkey Ever...

...got fed up waiting...made my own...:
    (Hypothetical) Neil Young Expanded Editions: 1st 4 Albums
    (...also: went a bit mad and ended up also doing: Deja Vu, Freedom, Ragged Glory, etc...)

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  5. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

Of which I’m going to the Detroit show. Thank you to the NY Archives for the great presale. This type of show would be impossible for me to see here in Toronto.

Also, it takes about two weeks for NY to decide to go in and record and finish an album if he wants to. Not much planning needed.

Zeki and davers like this.
  6. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

7. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

King Crimson and XTC can afford blu-ray but Neil can't? There's are some seriously B/C/D/F-movies that are still making the blu-ray format.

John Manning likes this.
  8. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Holy guacamole. That's amazing; I thought that thet Neil Young Archives box set model was dead and gone, succeeded by the online subscription-based Neil Young Archives.

This is going to inspire a torrent of abuse from Neil stans who have been clamoring for this, like, forever. For starters the abandonment of Blu-ray will be the Great Satan.

9. Further

Further Forum Resident

Indeed.

What is he thinking not issuing this on Blu-Ray? Oh, I know....it’s “no longer viable for economic reasons” means that it would take away from online subscriptions.

What a crock of ****. Waiting all this time just to release it on CD. Who needs that? One of the main points of the whole thing is the High-Res that was available on the Blu-Ray, a format that Neil himself said was exactly what he was waiting for in order to release Volume 1 - now that format is no longer economically viable.

You can’t believe anything that he says. He changes his mind on everything at the drop of a hat.

Sadly, after years of waiting, I won’t be buying this.

10. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

The sad fact is that the NYA website will be gone and obsolete in a matter of years. So not putting it out on Blu-Ray will mean the cd version will be the only survivor, and supposedly that is the version Neil would hate the most.

Sean Murdock, John Manning and Galley like this.
  11. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

Don't think there isn't any label pressure that influenced that decision, as well. I can easily read "no longer viable for economic reasons" to mean "Reprise/Warner Bros. doesn't want to pay to make 8-10 disc Blu-Ray sets that would most likely be too expensive the average consumer to buy...especially in a market where physical media is selling less and less [save vinyl]." This is especially true if the next volume of Archives can be released via streaming/digital on Neil's website. If the label can get a percentage of subscription fees/digital sales and not have to spend a ton on producing hundreds of thousands of Blu-Ray discs, why wouldn't they want to go that route? I can also see the CD version of the Archives (along with the book) to be a compromise between him and Reprise so that there's SOME physical version of the next volume of Archives being released.

melstapler likes this.
  12. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

Hell, I could see the entire Archives website being made as a compromise, too, so at least there's SOME way for people to listen to future Archives releases in Hi-Res audio via streaming/digital purchases.

Also, if you want my opinion, I don't care how this is released; this volume of the Archives has been my holy grail for so long that I'll buy it no matter what format it's in (CD, digital only, vinyl, Blu-Ray, DVD Audio, SACD, 8-Track, MiniDisc, whatever). This music is going to be too good to pass up, IMO.

13. BOZMAN

BOZMAN Forum Resident

So we've been waiting since the '80s for CDs? Another near-dead format? Pathetic.

14. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

Finally! CDs are fine with me. His recent releases have all been mixed and mastered well so let’s give him some credit for that.

Sean, Galley, moonshiner and 4 others like this.
  15. The Big Guy

The Big Guy Forum Resident

I really wish this was true. But we all know it's not.

Tuck1977 and Alan57 like this.
  16. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

It has nothing to do with affording Blu Ray and everything to do with selling hi rez on his website.

17. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I'm just glad its still being released in a physical format at all at this point.

Sean, Tuck1977, CCrider92 and 8 others like this.
  18. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

That’s enough for me!

Sean, CCrider92 and melstapler like this.
  19. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

This post didn't age well.

Sean, Aftermath, Galley and 7 others like this.
  20. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

21. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Turns out...rust sleeps after all.

22. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

death, taxes, complaints about Neil Young

23. BOZMAN

BOZMAN Forum Resident

I'm really not complaining, as a fellow Canadian I have nothing but love for Neil Young, but I just find it funny that he's been waiting for a format for nearly 40 years to finally encompass his concept for the Archives presentation, and in the end, a plain ole CD will do. If CD was fine now, why wasn't it good enough decades ago? God bless his twisted road.

Sean, Tuck1977 and Alan57 like this.
  24. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

I bought the Archives 1 on blu-ray when it was released, and picked up a used cd version (good price) last year for playing in the car.

Whatever physical format Archives 2 is offered, I'll get one (If its only available streaming on a website, I won't buy).

I hope blu-ray is reconsidered. I'm not an expert, but how much cost is there to put 8-10 blu rays in a small box like the Chicago Quadio box? And what is the difference between putting 8-10 CD's vs. 8-10 blu-rays in the box. Of course, there may be a minimum order on manufacturing blu-rays that creates a fixed cost...but still, its not like pressing vinyl LP's.

It seems like all the Archives 1 cd, DVD and blu-ray sets have sold out. Lowest prices I saw on eBay are $90 for CD, and $149 for DVD and blu-ray, and there are not many.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  25. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I did not buy Archives 1 because there was nothing on it that really would hold my interest after an initial listening, but 2 may well be a path I'll take.

Stone Turntable likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.