Neil Young at Carnegie Hall and Canada*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Efus, Jan 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

Lucky you...

2. Dave G.

Dave G. Forum Resident

going Thursday & Friday ....very excited... I never miss a Neil Young tour ... and I never go to only 1 night of the tour....ha ha

JoeRockhead likes this.
  3. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

Lucky you! I was going to get another night but the monies get tight around the holidays. I'm taking someone as a xmas/birthday gifts for this year and next!...haha...

4. Efus

Efus Senior Member Thread Starter

Neil knows who's out there, and I think he's balanced the setlist to reflect that.

I've seen him 14 times, and if he plays this same setlist on Thursday night, he'll be playing 10 songs out of the 23, that I've never seen him do live.
    Its good enough for me, and more than I could reasonably expect.

But yeah, a dream would be to write up a Young setlist that would appeal to me. It'd probably look nothing like yours, I'd imagine, lol...

JoeRockhead likes this.
  5. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

I predict the setlist will change for the 3rd show.

6. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

I dunno. he stays awfully consistent when he puts his mind to it. The three Red Rocks shows that resulted in the DVD from 2000 were completely identical.

7. Efus

Not for nothing, you should use the "My Sugar Mountain" feature of the NY Sugar Mountain setlist site.
    You register, then you are able to select, then save, each show you went to, and it compiles the information into your own personal NY concert database, listing the number of venues, songs, different songs, etc, etc.

I've seen him 14 times at 7 different venues. He's played 257 songs, with 144 of them being different.

Mark Snowden and fourfeathers like this.
  8. Efus

Yeah, but that's because he was shooting a dvd.
    I don't think he is in this particular case. It would surprise me if he didn't make a couple changes in each set.

My guess is he'd rotate a few of the After The Goldrush tunes (Tell Me Why, Birds, I Believe In You, Don't Let It Bring You Down) in there,
    perhaps switch out "Flying On Ground" for "Expecting To Fly" or "Nowadays Clancy"
    We may even get a peek at the next era, say "See The Sky About To Rain" and theres always "Sugar Mountain"

9. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

This "My Sugar Mountain" feature is awesome, never knew about it! Thanks for the tip!

10. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

Supposedly he recorded an album of covers at Jack White's studio.

Yeah, mostly shouting between songs when he's talking, but also during the performance. Monday was worse. This New York Times review explains it well...

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/08/a...l-young-starts-run-at-carnegie-hall.html?_r=0

11. No point griping over the set list because Neil couldn't care less. And he shouldn't. With a back catalogue like he has, how could he ever possibly hope to please everyone? He plays all rarities and people complain, he plays some rarities, some "hits" and people complain. It's been going on every tour no matter what he plays. So he likely just plays what he is feeling at the time, and maybe Heart of Gold, etc for the casuals.

12. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

Thanks. I'll have to do that!

edit: 20 shows (I thought it would have been more), 374 songs total, 192 of them unique.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  13. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

They're not being filmed, but I'm not sure these aren't being recorded. It may be expensive, but this is Neil Young, not some young indie band. Also, since it's him solo, he doesn't have to pay any other band members. Carnegie Hall is clearly important to him and sounds more prestigious than Live at the Cellar Door!

You may be right, but I bet his label would be happy with a new release that includes his biggest acoustic hits (Heart of Gold, Old Man, Only Love Can Break Your Heart, Harvest Moon, etc.) done in a legendary venue like CH. It's bound to sell better than Psychedelic Pill, Americana or Le Noise.

14. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

It would also be a high profile first release on Pono.

15. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

After seeing a rough video of Southern Man on YouTube, I hereby officially rescind my criticisms of the setlist. Intense show, would love to have seen it.

DJ WILBUR likes this.
  16. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

recording it is one thing and I am expecting he is recording all the shows.

selling a "Carnegie hall" recording is quite another thing though and live recordings on the whole don't sell big numbers.

not sure who's right or wrong here, but its a huge fee to sell a Carnegie hall recording.

and I do hope YOU are right, it would be a nice memory as I'm going tonight... :goodie:

17. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

me too. can't wait. prolly my most highly anticipated show in a long time...

18. ronton99

ronton99 Forum Resident

Interesting - so the hall gets a cut if a live recording comes from there?
    I guess that would depend on the hall since a "Live at Carnegie Hall" show would be a more prestigious event than, say, the Bass Pro Arena in Toledo Ohio.
    Gotta love Ohio!
    I wonder if the hall charges just to have the show recorded and then more if the show is released with the recording location credit on the release - probably differs by hall/artist.

Anyway, have fun tonight, DJ!

DJ WILBUR likes this.
  19. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

It is a union hall so there are additional union fees for recording.
    Carnegie Hall would be entitled to ask for a cut if the Carnegie Hall trademark were used in packaging or marketing.
    Of course as a contractual matter any place being rented could charge a different rate if a live recording was going to be made than if it was a straight performance rental.

20. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

So we know there are fees but are we sure the cut is high for Carnegie Hall specifically or is it just a guess? There was a Dylan "Live in Carnegie Hall 1963" EP release in 2006. It came out with little fanfare and I'm guessing wasn't a big seller. Other tracks popped up on Bootleg Series releases. Can't imagine it cost Sony/Columbia that much. Maybe they paid for the rights already in 1963 for the never released "In Concert"?

Even David Sedaris has a "Live at Carnegie Hall" release, so I can't imagine it's too big of an obstacle for Neil.

21. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

for me it's 43 shows at 26 venues in 21 cities. 655 songs, 183 unique.

Mark likes this.
  22. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

When I saw Neil at Massey Hall where Jonathan Demme was filming both shows, the 1st night was pretty much spoiled by drunken idiots heckling and hollering between songs. It was easy to tell it was bothering Neil after awhile not to mention it was bothering me (as I had a lot of these jerks near me)
    When the show was over, I flipped out and started yelling at the people around me for their rude and uncool behaviour only to have Mr Demme himself approach me and tell me he was disgusted with the audience himself.
    The next night before the show, Demme talked to the crowd and told them to behave (and they did)

Nothing worse than being a real Neil Young fan and attending a show with a bunch of loud mouth schnooks.

arthurprecarious likes this.
  23. joshbg2k

joshbg2k Forum Resident

I was there on Tuesday, and now I regret not going to more. He sounds incredible. I got very lucky with my price point and sat dead center, front row balcony. Here he is playing the pump organ on Mr. Soul. There are a few more videos, and I had my hat covering up the screen (so as not to disturb anyone), so composition varies, but I felt obligated to record a few given where I was sitting.

vertigone likes this.
  24. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

Haha, there it is. Tom Waits voice at 4:20!

25. Stringman

Stringman Forum Resident

Evidently there were no cameras present which is a real pity

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.