Neil Young at Carnegie Hall and Canada*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Efus, Jan 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Currently at set break......Helpless and Birds added....... nothing else removed. 1st set 12 songs.

Really good!

Bryce likes this.
  2. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

Second set, Journey Through the Past in, Mr Soul out.

DJ WILBUR likes this.
  3. LandHorses

1/9/14

Set 1
    1. From Hank to Hendrix
    2. Helpless
    3. On the Way Home (Buffalo Springfield song)
    4. Only Love Can Break Your Heart
    5. Love in Mind- grand piano
    6. Birds - grand piano
    7. Mellow My Mind- guitjo
    8. Are You Ready for the Country- tack piano
    9. Someday- tack piano
    10. Changes (Phil Ochs cover)
    11. Harvest
    12. Old Man

Set 2
    13. Goin' Back
    14. A Man Needs A Maid- grand piano
    15. Ohio
    16. Southern Man
    17. Needle of Death (Bert Jansch cover)
    18. The Needle and the Damage Done
    19. Harvest Moon
    20. Flying on the Ground Is Wrong (Buffalo Springfield song)- tack piano
    21. After the Gold Rush - tack piano
    22. Journey Through The Past - tack piano
    23. Heart of Gold

Encore
    24. Comes A Time
    25. Long May You Run

The shows keep getting better. Neil was on again tonight....and in a good mood. The crowd was inbetween Tuesday (great) and Monday (rowdy). Neil got into it twice......during Ohio and Southern Man, he talked about the bond between the performers and crowds because of the events going on at the time......I'm not sure if it was also a comment on current behavior. He also did a funny sarcastic thing about cell phones before the last song.

JeffMo, Peter Harrar and Dave G. like this.
  4. Peter Harrar

Peter Harrar Senior Member

Birds, with an exquisite instrumental passage added between the verses, was sublime.

5. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Thanks for posting that. Looks like a great concert. Man, I wish he was coming to Boston for some solo shows.

6. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

I'm thrilled - I was salivating after hearing the first night setlist, but, based on my personal preferences, this one's even better. I don't know how I'm going to make it through work today waiting to go tonight.

7. Dave G.

Dave G. Forum Resident

still mystified by last night....
    absolutely amazing & special gig

DJ WILBUR likes this.
  8. bonus

bonus Forum Resident

I was there on Monday. "Southern Man" would never in a million years make my personal wish list for a 20-odd song Neil set in any format.

And my jaw dropped at the performance. It, and "Needle of Death," were the show's maximum intensity moments.

Must admit that I am a bit jealous of the added "Birds," "Helpless," and "Journey Through The Past" last night.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  9. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

The highlights for me from last night's show were "After The Gold Rush", "Birds", and "Someday" (Neil played awesome piano on all three) // very cool to hear the socio-political discussion the prefaced "Ohio" and "Southern Man" as well. Neil was in true stroyteller mode last night.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
    DJ WILBUR and LandHorses like this.
  10. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

It really was. A truly wonderful experience - felt incredibly fortunate to be there. I know he's done these sorts of shows more than most but my goodness, what an incredible level of stamina, professionalism and heart to pull it off and make it feel so effortless and yet so intimate.

Could I ask the experts here what make & model of 3/4 size guitar he played for the Ochs and Jansch covers? Not that it would be anywhere in my price range of course but I've been thinking about purchasing one so am just curious...

Very frivolous complaint in light of such fantastic evening but was pretty annoyed that merch was not available for sale beforehand so that naturally the table was completely mobbed after the show... If anyone (in NYC/NJ?) is going this evening and would be willing to help out this forumite, could you PM please? I do not see any Carnegie Hall-related merch bar the limited poster on the NY site so I'd really appreciate it. (And apologies in advance if this is against board protocol in any way.)

11. Peter Harrar

Peter Harrar Senior Member

It appeared to me to be a Martin parlor guitar -- perhaps one of Martin's O-series. Excellent choice for both covers.

12. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

and I was very happy with that switcheroo myself. He did the "strings" on some keyboard they put on top of the Grand Piano...amazing performance, amazing concert...

13. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

the merch was available beforehand...but not moved to the lobby area til after the show starts...they do it first level above the lobby so you know for next time.

14. LandHorses

The end of the shows were timed so when I would get to Penn Station, I had to wait almost an hour for my train......so on Monday, I waited in the mob after the show to get my t-shirts (about 20+ minutes) before heading to Penn.

15. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

What kinda merch has there been? Carnegie-specific shirts and whatnot?

16. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I am trying hard to get tickets for Massey hall on Sunday.

17. fourfeathers

Keep checking the Massey Hall site. They've been adding singles occasionally throughout the week. Managed to snag a first-row balcony seat the other day!

Cassius likes this.
  18. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

Thanks - if only I'd known that earlier! I was on the 2nd tier so could've stopped off on my way to the seat - oh well. My plea still stands though if anyone's going tonight...
    And thanks for this - have actually been looking at Martin X series so this may just be the nudge I needed to pull the trigger.

19. LandHorses

All Carnegie specific - poster, 3 different t-shirts, and a hoodie.
    I'm guessing he'll probably have specialized Toronto stuff for your shows.

fourfeathers likes this.
  20. Efus

Efus Senior Member Thread Starter

Echo what others have said, it was just ridiculously good.
    It almost seems like the imperfections in the performance make it that much better, genuine.
    Here's "Birds" from last night.
    When he started this, there was an low audible 'awwww" of recognition that rippled through my section when he began it to sing it.
    Check out the brief, but beautifully different instrumental passage he put in the middle of it. You can hear a pin drop. Incredible moment.

21. gkella

Thanks for the tip !!!!

22. fourfeathers

They just released some. Act quick!

23. Benefactor

Benefactor Forum Resident

Just found this thread.

I don't consider myself a hardcore Neil fan by any means, but ended up at Tuesday's Carnegie Hall show unexpectedly.

It was without a doubt one of the best concerts I've ever attended.

I don't really know when the last time I was brought to tears by live music was...

DJ WILBUR and fourfeathers like this.
  24. gkella

My buddy got a ticket and I missed out!!
    He got row f, centre stage for $270.00 all in.
    Going to try all dY tomorrow.
    Thank you for looking out for me.
    Glen

25. DeYoung

DeYoung Forum Resident

Isn't that instrumental bit - the little piano-scale run - the same piano figure from the unreleased version of 'Birds' that's on 'Archives'?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.